• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DWI Roadblock in Washington...

calynn

I can hear it now...

So officer, what did you have to move to see the weapon?

-R

Yeah, he told me if I didn't have the gun/holster strapped to the top of my head (so it can be seen from 360 degrees), then I'd get the concealed charge. What an idiot?

If I had the money, I'd go buy three other pistols and wear them at 3, 6, 9 and 12...

They even seized my carry gun (a Smith 4006, yeah, conceal that!) until my court date at the earliest...?

sultan62

Yeah, he told me if I didn't have the gun/holster strapped to the top of my head (so it can be seen from 360 degrees), then I'd get the concealed charge. What an idiot?

If I had the money, I'd go buy three other pistols and wear them at 3, 6, 9 and 12...

They even seized my carry gun (a Smith 4006, yeah, conceal that!) until my court date at the earliest...?

How far do you plan to take this?

M

mattwestm

Which shop? D&L, or adventure outfitters?

I've always thought that D&L was a bit high, but AO prices are very fair, and sometimes cheaper than elsewhere

I went into D&L one time and I felt like they didn't take me seriously or something. I haven't been back since. However, Adventure Outfitters is wonderful. I love talking to the staff. I buy my ammo from there sometimes. Even if a box of ammo is $5 cheaper online, with shipping it equals the local price. For large purchases, I buy online though. I thought about buying my XD from AO, but they wanted over $500. I got it in Raleigh at Eagle 1 for $420 with tax and everything. I've bought all of my other guns from Dick's Sporting Goods in Raleigh or gunbroker. Village Pawn is a good FFL, charging only $25.

cricketdad

I was getting my lunch packed this evening for tomorrow morning, and I realized that I was out of soda, so I decided to run over to WalMart late tonight (around 1am). Of course, I was OCing my Para, but it's sort of chilly tonight, so I put on a jacket, and hopped in the car.

As I'm coming into the city limits, I notice a BUNCH of flashing blues in the road, and there was a big construction floodlight in the middle of the road. I guess because it's Halloween, they have DWI checkpoints up. So I pull out y DL and CHP (because I'm wearing it, under a coat, with a seatbelt on) and roll down my window as I come to a stop.

Officer looks at my cards, as I am informing him that I'm carrying. He says "yeah, I kind of figured...", hands me back my cards and waves me through...

I do my shopping, and start home, and of course, I have to pass through the roadblock again...

A different officer is standing on the westbound lanes, and so I go through the same drill--cars in hand, window down, roll to a stop. He pulls out his flashlight, and goes around to the FRONT of my car (where I have the "novelty plate" that says "OPEN CARRY"), then comes to my window. I hand him my cards and inform him that I'm carrying.

He says, "yeah, I thought you probably were... Nice license plate you've got on the front." he says with a grin as he hands me back my cards, and waves me through...

So this just confirms my previous experience that at least in Washington, the local "boys in blue" have no issue at all with open carry, and actually approve of it...

I can only imagine how this might have gone down differently in Greenville, Raleigh or Jacksonville...

Or (heaven forbid) Maryland... (shudder...)

In MD you would be writing from behind bars