• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.327 Magnum as a self defense caliber?

WARCHILD

I recently learned this "new" caliber hit the market a couple of years ago (2008). First I have heard of it and I am very interested in possibly buying one of these.
From the reviews I have been able to read, the feedback seems quit positive.
I may consider this as a BUG or even for use by my wife.
Has anyone fired and had experience with this caliber?

Thanks

WARCHILD

Yes, ammo availability was a consideration. The shop I deal with says they can keep it in stock reasonably well. As I stated, the reviews I read were positive for this caliber; but I would like some opinions from people here that have fired it.
Thanks

PDinDetroit

I looked at it when it first came out, especially since it was offered in some of the Ruger Revolvers I like so much. I have never shot one, but like that you can shoot multiple .32 calibers from the same pistol.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5759.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1748.html

I picked up the following as a BUG recently:

http://www.sigsauerguns.com/sig-sauer-photos/sig-sauer-p238-hdw/

Since it is a Locked-Breech Design, it soaks up recoil. This one is a little heavier than the standard P238 (HD designation) and is a limited production run.

WARCHILD

Just watched a short video on it. Recoil doesn't seem bad. I'm rather concerned with their claim it's somewhere between 38+P's and a light load 357 for energy and stopping power. Guess I'll have to do a bit more research before I make up my mind on this purchase.

SlowDog

IMO it would be ok as long as you did considerable practice. Reason I say this is because lighter calibers for self defense requires much better shot placement. I sometimes carry My Bersa 380 so I train with it for proper shot placement. Two quick shots to the chest and then aim for the cranial-ocular area....ie the nose area.

DaveP

I've put about 40-50 rounds of 115 grain Federals through a Ruger SP101.
Somewhat less recoil than .357 125 grain in another Ruger also 3in.
For me it's sort of a "yawn, who cares" type of thing....the gun is the same size
and weight as the .357. If you want less recoil and noise shoot .38 in the .357.
I did not shoot it with any .32 special so maybe somebody who was VERY recoil
shy may find some value in that aspect of it.
I've come to believe there's no magic bullet.....if you want energy on the target
you're going to have to absorb some into your hands.
Dave

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I've put about 40-50 rounds of 115 grain Federals through a Ruger SP101.
Somewhat less recoil than .357 125 grain in another Ruger also 3in.
For me it's sort of a "yawn, who cares" type of thing....the gun is the same size
and weight as the .357. If you want less recoil and noise shoot .38 in the .357.
I did not shoot it with any .32 special so maybe somebody who was VERY recoil
shy may find some value in that aspect of it.
I've come to believe there's no magic bullet.....if you want energy on the target
you're going to have to absorb some into your hands.
Dave

+1

WARCHILD

Thanks guys.
I have a Bersa .380 and light load .38's she uses now.
I was just kinda wondering if their claim of equal to a light load .357 mag had any merit with comparable ballistics. Kinda thinking it won't be worth the money; compared to what I already have to use.

NHCGRPR45

5.7x28mm would be an option but its a full frame handgun, with a large grip. recoil is similar to a .22LR and muzzle velocity starts at 2034 FPS for the SS195LF projectile. the round look like a minny 5.56 round. is extremely accurate, and has a standard magazine capacity of 20 rounds, a magazine extender can be added for a total capacity of 30 rounds.:lol: its also very light! even with the extended magazine! and it comes with 3 magazines also, or at least it did.:D

its an exceptional handgun! i had one for a few years when it first came out, and shot several thousand rounds through it, very nice shooter! its the only handgun chameberd for this round however i believe the PS90 might qualify as a MI pistol, that little beauty has a 50 round standard magazine, and is the semi-auto version of the P90 sub-machine gun.

malignity

If you don't mind waiting a bit, the Kel-Tec PMR-30 may be of interest to you also.

It holds and shoots 31 rounds of .22 Magnum (.22 WMR) which has virtually identical ballistics (and in my opinion more devastating wound channels) than the 5.7x28mm. The gun is three quarters of the price less than the price of a FN-57, and the ammo is half the price. If you're interested in ballistics comparisons, I can show you the comparisons.

They're just starting production of the PMR-30 and though they have about 700 of them released now, they haven't started mass production yet. Once they do, I'll be getting one for my wife being that she's very recoil shy.

Keep that in mind for new and upcoming things while we're at it. :)

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

The 5.7x28mm is designed to punch a vest and a 22 mag won't.

If you don't mind waiting a bit, the Kel-Tec PMR-30 may be of interest to you also.

It holds and shoots 31 rounds of .22 Magnum (.22 WMR) which has virtually identical ballistics (and in my opinion more devastating wound channels) than the 5.7x28mm. The gun is three quarters of the price less than the price of a FN-57, and the ammo is half the price. If you're interested in ballistics comparisons, I can show you the comparisons.

They're just starting production of the PMR-30 and though they have about 700 of them released now, they haven't started mass production yet. Once they do, I'll be getting one for my wife being that she's very recoil shy.

Keep that in mind for new and upcoming things while we're at it. :)

malignity

Certain rounds of 5.7x28 can, yes, if you get the steel core V-Max. Natively it cannot. According to multiple online websites, so can .22 WMR with the right ammunition. Keep in mind, .22 WMR and .22LR are VERY different. The bullet itself between the two are very similar, with the shape and ~125fps being the only real difference.

Again though...

FN-57: $1199
Kel-Tec PMR-30: $275

5.7x28: $29/box
.22 WMR: $12/box

~125fps isn't worth the extra cost imo.

To me, the choice is pretty simple, but to each his own I guess.

Last edited:

malignity

It appears that upon further research that both the 5.7x28mm AND .22WMR MUST be fired from a RIFLE to penetrate a vest. The FN-57 will not penetrate a vest, only a PS90. Same essentially with the .22WMR.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
.327 seems like a handy, multipurpose round. Given similar bullet designs and ballistics, I doubt if a BG will collapse immediately after being shot with a .357 but shrug off a .327. I'd love to see a marlin lever action chambered for .327.

Bailenforcer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKgG2W6_N0

Actually in standard FMJ the 5.7x28 will punch a type II-A vest. Yes the steel cored ammo will do far better. I have yet to see a .22 magnum penetrate a vest of that type. I have seen on go through a military flack vest but those are designed for lower velocity shrapnel only, not high velocity directed hits. When I did demo's for American Body armor I just don't remember any .22 Magnum capable to punching a vest of any quality. And we did many demo's for Police depts live, including multiple hits from MP-5's in full auto mode. Frankly I am still not impressed with the 5.7x28 round, it lacks knock down unless you deliver burst, auto, or several quick succession shots. I will stick to my 357 magnum and after a few well placed shots short of a trauma plate they are gonna hurt bad.

Mozambique drill!

Certain rounds of 5.7x28 can, yes, if you get the steel core V-Max. Natively it cannot. According to multiple online websites, so can .22 WMR with the right ammunition. Keep in mind, .22 WMR and .22LR are VERY different. The bullet itself between the two are very similar, with the shape and ~125fps being the only real difference.

Again though...

FN-57: $1199
Kel-Tec PMR-30: $275

5.7x28: $29/box
.22 WMR: $12/box

~125fps isn't worth the extra cost imo.

To me, the choice is pretty simple, but to each his own I guess.

malignity

Frankly I am still not impressed with the 5.7x28 round, it lacks knock down unless you deliver burst, auto, or several quick succession shots.

Fort Hood shooting...

13 dead, 30 wounded. Tragic yes, but something to be learned from it. He used an FN-57. He also had a .357 revolver which was not used. It's deadly enough.

Last edited:

Michigander

It's a cartridge where they decided they wanted to take a really small, really light handgun bullet and give it just enough velocity to work with HP rounds. 115 grains, just above .30", this is not exactly a purpose built powerhouse.

But you do have more than enough energy to nicely expand hollow points, perhaps giving it about as much energy as a conservative .40 S&W.

My issue with it is that it's a double action with 6 shots. Setting aside my bitch that there are almost no truly small single action hideout guns in 9mm or even .380, I'd rather have a semi automatic with a heavier bullet and a larger magazine capacity. You can still get good penetration with a bullet twice as heavy going half as fast, and often even get away with using hollow points. Plus, considering that revolvers are inherently larger, you can get a more powerful semi automatic which is perhaps smaller.

If I wanted a gun to fill this role and could accept the idea of a DA trigger, I'd probably take a Kahr 9mm, or maybe a G26 which would solve the trigger issues. Many other guns offer .40 S&W with little to no addition in size, just a bit more recoil.

If you really want one, you should get one. But from a standpoint of sheer usefulness, I can't think of many reasons why I'd buy one. :-/

Last edited: