• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Relinquish your firearm - not so funny when it happens to a LEO

Motofixxer

aaaaaaaawwe poor wittle pawice man, couldn't go take take care of personal business on taxpayer time and carry his gun toooooo. Yep, sucks to walk the other side of the line sometimes.

Last edited:

KBCraig

SNIP:
"The officer said he left the civic center Friday feeling embarrassed and insulted. Dearing posted details of the incident on his Facebook page late Friday and immediately began receiving strong responses."
Just so long as he made it home safe at the end of his shift. Nothing else matters.

MKEgal

i'm certain the Sikh temple would frown upon or otherwise request that no weapons be allowed on their property.

Aren't Sikhs the ones who are required to carry a dagger? IIRC it's a symbol of their struggle with something. But if they're carrying, why can't other people?

(After a short search...) Yeah, it's called a kirpan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan
But I was wrong about the struggle part.
"all baptised Sikhs must wear a kirpan at all times. Historically, the kirpan was a defensive weapon..."
"Kirpan literally means 'weapon of defence' "

"A Sikh's religion forbids the use the kirpan in anger or for a malicious attack. However, a Sikh may use it as a weapon for self-defence or to protect a person in need."

"The kirpan is both a defensive weapon and a symbol. Physically it is an instrument of "ahimsa" or non-violence. The principle of ahimsa is to actively prevent violence, not to simply stand by idly whilst violence is being done. To that end, the kirpan is a tool to be used to prevent violence from being done to a defenseless person when all other means to do so have failed. Symbolically, the kirpan represents the power of truth to cut through untruth"

Wow. Sounds a lot like what I hear us say our guns are supposed to be for.

Coded-Dude

Aren't Sikhs the ones who are required to carry a dagger? IIRC it's a symbol of their struggle with something. But if they're carrying, why can't other people?

(After a short search...) Yeah, it's called a kirpan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan
"all baptised Sikhs must wear a kirpan at all times. Historically, the kirpan was a defensive weapon..."

"A Sikh's religion forbids the use the kirpan in anger or for a malicious attack. However, a Sikh may use it as a weapon for self-defence or to protect a person in need."

"The kirpan is both a defensive weapon and a symbol. Physically it is an instrument of "ahimsa" or non-violence. The principle of ahimsa is to actively prevent violence, not to simply stand by idly whilst violence is being done. To that end, the kirpan is a tool to be used to prevent violence from being done to a defenseless person when all other means to do so have failed. Symbolically, the kirpan represents the power of truth to cut through untruth"

Violent outbreak at Sikh Temple.

a dagger is a bit different than a firearm, but now that you remind me of this belief, i will look into it.

AaronS

Well put, great post.

oliverclotheshoff

your right a dagger is different than a firearm just like a ball pein hammer is differnt than a claw hammer but both have the same concept

Coded-Dude

I would say its a bit different than that(more like claw hammer is to nail gun), but then we are just arguing semantics. I currently do not know their policy, but will see what I can find out.

lance galloway

Well the city of Eau Claire must not care because when I voted today there was a on duty LEO voting and he had his gun.

I was a bit jealous because I could not carry too because I was voting in a church with a school.

Gunslinger

Just because it's a polling place? No. But many polling places are schools or community facilities of some sort.

My polling place is in the Community Center and maybe ten yards from the school property.

Every polling place I can remember has been in a school, except South Boston, VA where it was in a barn like structure...