• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vets and military members

XDSTEEL

Eat Free at Applebee's
Military veterans and active-duty Service Members will be able to eat free at any Applebee's across the U.S. on Veteran’s Day, Thursday, Nov. 11, 2010. There will be six entrées available from the menu. Guests will be asked to show one or more of the following as proof of service: a U.S. Uniform Services Identification Card, U.S. Uniform Services Retired Identification Card, Current Leave and Earnings Statement, Veterans Organization Card, a photograph in uniform, or wearing a uniform in person. For more information about Veterans Day at Applebee's, visit the Applebee's website http://www.applebees.com/vetsDay/default.aspx

Military Eat Free at Golden Corral
Golden Corral's 9th annual Military Appreciation Monday dinner will be held on Monday, November 15, 2010, from 5 to 9 pm in all Golden Corral restaurants nationwide. The free dinner meal is a special "thank you tribute" to any person who has ever served in the United States Military. If you are a veteran, retired, currently serving, or in the National Guard/Reserves, you are invited to join us for Golden Corral's Military Appreciation Monday dinner. To date, Golden Corral restaurants have provided over 2.2 million free meals and contributed over $3.3 million to the Disabled American Veterans organization. Website for more information: http://www.goldencorral.com/military/

McCormick & Schmick's Complimentary Lunch or Dinner
Veterans will be able to choose a complimentary lunch or dinner entrée on Sunday, November 7. Some of the mouth-watering selections include Cashew-Crusted Tilapia, Grilled Atlantic Salmon, Seafood Fettuccini Alfredo and Cedar-Planked Salmon. http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/featured-promotion/Veterans-Appreciation-Day.aspx

eye95

Thanks. I knew about Golden Corral and intended to avail myself of the free eats (especially since they are gun-neutral). I didn't know about Applebees. I have OCed there with no incident.

XDSTEEL

just wanted to get the word out. Applebee's in sioux falls did not have a problem wi th me OCing. Lame though that the nearest one is in Iowa(for me) and you need a permit from the State to carry.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
If you have a VA medical card that too will work.

Famous Daves BBQ has a special menu with free eats for the Vets.

And if you are in Freeport, Maine The Muddy Rudder restaurant and Freeport Café are showing their support to Veterans and Active Military by offering a free meal on Veterans Day. On Thursday, November 11, The Muddy Rudder, Route One, Yarmouth and The Freeport Café, Route One, Freeport will again, offer a free entrée to any active military personnel and veterans. The Café serves from 6AM to 2 PM. The Muddy Rudder serves from 11 AM to 10 PM. The Muddy Rudder in Brewer will also be offering the same Vets Eat Free Program.

GWbiker

All Applebees in Tucson are posted no weapons signs, so they can stick that free meal where the sun don't shine.

Golden Corral, on the other hand, gladly accepts OC at all three Tucson locations and I'll be going to one.

eye95

My family and I will be going to golden corral, I have also had good OC experience there. DD214 will work for proof too right?

Remember, Golden Corral is not until Monday. I don't think they require proof, but check the website to be sure. It is linked in the first post.

HeroHog

DD-214 is good as a VA Disability ID card is my understanding.

sailorspeedy.jpg

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Follow-up

The meal was wonderful, the place was packed, and the company was friendly. I wound up sitting next to three other retirees, and we mainly discussed religion. On the way out, one of them asked me why was I carrying a firearm, to which I replied, "personal protection." Another asked me the same question outside, so I answered with something more definitive, along the same lines as the letter I just sent to Golden Corral for honoring those of us who served our country:

As a retired USAF veteran, who protected and defended our Constitution for more than twenty years, I would like to thank you both for the wonderful dinner, as well as your support of and respect for our Constitutional freedoms, in particular the right to keep and bear arms in defense of self, friends, and family.

THANK YOU!

All three of them grinned, and one of them said, "I like that." :)

eye95

I had to stand in line for about half an hour. They were extremely efficient and perfectly prepared. The place was just mobbed. Next year, I'll go at 7:30.

I have been changing my eating habits and lost 10% of my body weight in the last 3 months, so an all-you-can-eat restaurant is kinda counter-productive to my efforts. I overate, but did so somewhat wisely. I ate about 2/3 of a day's points in that one meal, and nearly half of that was in the :mad: "no sugar added peach pie." (No sugar, lots and lots and lots of fat.)

Anyway, great food, great service. I bet this public service did not cost them too badly. Most vets were accompanied by paying customers (two in my case), so they probably took in more money last night than normal, but had to put out tremendously more food.

There was no shortage of food either. With the place operating at capacity for several hours, you'd think there'd be outages here and there. NONE. These guys did an amazing job.

If you are into an all-you-can-eat experience with mounds of delicious (but unhealthy) food in an OC-friendly atmosphere, Golden Corral is the place for you.

On the OC front, one of the staff asked if I was a LEO. He said he was concerned because the local Piccadilly was robbed a few nights ago. I told him that he didn't have to worry about OCers. BGs carry concealed (usually unlawfully) or brandish. They don't bother properly holstering their guns.

My table-mate, who was dining with his young daughter or grand-daughter, noticed my cocked hammer and asked if the safety was on. I eagerly responded, "Condition 1!" For the most part, though, I got the typical reaction. Nothing. Folks were generally not noticing or not caring. As it should be.