• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Officer not allowed to vote

Aaron1124

BANGOR, Maine — In the 18 years that he has been a police officer in Bangor, James Dearing couldn’t think of a single time when someone has asked him to turn over his firearm.

Until last Friday.

Dearing, who was patrolling his assigned beat near the Bangor Civic Center, decided to stop in and cast an early vote. He walked into the polling place in full uniform and stood in a short line with other voters.

One of the election officials told Dearing he couldn’t bring his gun inside. The officer said he thought it was a joke.

Election warden Wayne Mallar then approached Dearing and reiterated the request: Turn over your weapon to another officer or we can’t let you vote.

Dearing refused.

“I would never relinquish my weapon,” the officer said later.

Mallar stood his ground.

The officer said he left the civic center Friday feeling embarrassed and insulted. Dearing posted details of the incident on his Facebook page late Friday and immediately began receiving strong responses.

“One fellow officer, who is stationed in Iraq, said ‘What am I over here fighting for?’” Dearing said.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/stor...ote-after-refusing-to-surrender-weapon,157603

eye95

I am anxious to see how the biddies at my polling place react to my carry tomorrow!

Gotta watch out for the Justice Department. They only drop charges of voter intimidation against minorities.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
If a regular citizen can not have their personal defense weapon on them while voting then I really don't have a problem with the request!

HeroHog

I think it's against the law here in Louisiana to carry into a polling place. I vote at the school so I couldn't carry even if it were legal.

I OCed when voting without issue last election and expect the same in the morning. I have yet to find any law making it illegal to carry when voting as long as it is legal to carry in that particular place otherwise.

speedyswheels.jpg

marrero jeff

eye95

Yeah, a link to the actual law would give us the opportunity to read the context and the black-letter law.

The last people I go to for a reading on what the law says is the police. Not that they are evil or anything, but they have a dog in the fight when it comes to what the law means, and that bias has often tainted their reading of the law.

In any case, I don't see anything in the link saying that the ban against CC at a polling place extends to OC.

I OCed at the polls in AL.