• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Voting

TFred

I think it's almost safe to say that the only way you can be sure you are not breaking some kinda law on the books is to stay home in your easy chair while picking your nose. Then again, I'm sure if you search hard enough, there is probably a law against that too.
Great way to catch a cold, probably will be illegal under ObamaCare...

:banghead:

TFred

45acpForMe

I had to disarm before voting at the elementary school polling place this morning.

I was able to OC later in the day but my "I voted" sticker wouldn't stick that well to my USP. I had to keep pressing it back on and after a while decided to not be touching my gun in public. :)

I haven't had time to check any results yet so I am crossing my fingers.

USNA69

Made a phone call, heard the actual reading of the offending passage, and I should have a copy of it in hand this evening.

Seems that the wording allows for a police officer to carry, and someone with a CHP to carry. The offending wording is basically that anyone else seen with a weapon is to be asked to leave it outside in their vehicle and/or call 911 to let the police handle it.

My contact understands that this page in their manual is in error and we may be able to get it re-written in a more expeditious (and less sabre rattling) way. The old "catching flies with honey" method.....

This raises an interesting qustion.

My friend, the Chief Election Officer in my precinct, replied to my query about the regulating document:

"The book I showed you yesterday was the Chief's and Assistant Chief's Handbook for Elections, assembled by the the Norfolk Elections Office and updated every election. Those of us who are Precinet Chief's and Assistants attend training about a week beforehand, and the Handbooks are provided to us at that time. During training we go over all the why's and wherefore's of running our precints, then we return the books to City Hall immediately after the elections, at the same time we deliver the pollbook machines, and other voting materials."

If the regulating document originates at the Commonwealth level, and, if all precint chiefs and assistant chiefs attend training focusing on the contents of the regulation ... then one wonders how we see so many reports on OCDO of unchallenged OC at the polls.

... just curious ...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
This raises an interesting qustion.

My friend, the Chief Election Officer in my precinct, replied to my query about the regulating document:

"The book I showed you yesterday was the Chief's and Assistant Chief's Handbook for Elections, assembled by the the Norfolk Elections Office and updated every election. Those of us who are Precinet Chief's and Assistants attend training about a week beforehand, and the Handbooks are provided to us at that time. During training we go over all the why's and wherefore's of running our precints, then we return the books to City Hall immediately after the elections, at the same time we deliver the pollbook machines, and other voting materials."

If the regulating document originates at the Commonwealth level, and, if all precint chiefs and assistant chiefs attend training focusing on the contents of the regulation ... then one wonders how we see so many reports on OCDO of unchallenged OC at the polls.

... just curious ...

Easy answer.....most folks don't notice when someone is OC'ing, or the election folks haven't spent alot of time studying the obscure reference to weapons contained in the book. Anyway, its being addressed and I hope to have more info soon.

DJEEPER

I was unable to carry while voting yesterday as i voted in a school... However, i had my 3" Guns Save Lives button proudly displayed on my black t-shirt.

jermflux

or, you could just learn what the laws are and follow them, and bring about change for the ones that you do not like.

I meant in general, not just gun laws. I devote a huge amount of grey matter on gun laws all by themselves. You did however, inspire me so I will start working on this one because now it seems my whole life I have been nothing more than a common criminal:

.......---Moderator Edited--
Remarks not in keeping with desired OCDO image

wylde007

it seems my whole life I have been nothing more than a common criminal:
If you reject their "authority" and substitute your own sovereignty, refusing obedience for the sake of obedience and compliance for the sake of compliance (the old "because I said so" routine) then you are, in fact a common criminal in the eyes of government and MOST law enforcement.

You would be welcome in my foxhole.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
CHP Openly displayed?

Yes, This is another item they can work as P4P.

You can't stop a person with a CHPfrom voting and packing!

I'm still noodling over their requirement that one's CHP has to be "displayed," i.e., pinned to their outer garment ... and that the election official "knows what to look for." If I was CC in a proper holster that didn't print, and was asked if I was carrying because my pocket bulged, etc., I would simply refuse to answer or say "no."

As for carrying while voting, I OCd my Sig 239 in an IWB holster at the Franconia Government Center on Franconia Road ... no comments, eyeballs or problems. (Voted at the Center last week because I knew I would be out of town on the 2nd.)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
snip.....
If I was CC in a proper holster................ asked if I was carrying ................ I would simply refuse to answer or say "no."

Don't lie to LE. Better to answer a question with a question: Why do you ask? Am I committing a crime?

USNA69

I'm still noodling over their requirement that one's CHP has to be "displayed," i.e., pinned to their outer garment ... and that the election official "knows what to look for."

In the interest of accuracy, I should state clearly that I did not read the "displayed" or "what to look for" provisions in the written guidelines. I am not saying that they are not included. I scanned the paragraph very quickly.

Those were verbal comments made to me at my poll by the Chief Election Officer, who is an experienced gun owner.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In the interest of accuracy, I should state clearly that I did not read the "displayed" or "what to look for" provisions in the written guidelines. I am not saying that they are not included. I scanned the paragraph very quickly.

Those were verbal comments made to me at my poll by the Chief Election Officer, who is an experienced gun owner.

Still it is tantamount to making up rules on the fly, is it not?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't lie to LE. Better to answer a question with a question: Why do you ask? Am I committing a crime?

But that was exactly my point -- an "election official" is not a LEO!

Still think my premise is valid though - why lie? Doing so does nothing positive for you/us.

I prefer to turn the question(s) back by responding with a question i.e. "Why do you ask?" or something similar.

BTW - Interesting find wyld007 - would seem to create more questions than it answers though.

Last edited:

wylde007

BTW - Interesting find wyld007 - would seem to create more questions than it answers though.
I agree.

I found it somewhat by accident when I was trying to figure out how Norfolk could prohibit firearms at the polls under election "law" and in relationship also to the numerous ongoing discussions about the officer in Maine who was demanded to disarm.

I'm not sure you could ever be aware "who" was the designated security at a polling place. Could the elections officer appoint a non-leo as poll security, thereby granting that person arrest authority by fiat? Could that person carry a firearm as a duly designated officer of the law?

How would that person be considered eligible or qualified? Could anyone be appointed?

Very curious considerations... and each one begs more questions than the last.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Still think my premise is valid though - why lie? Doing so does nothing positive for you/us.

I prefer to turn the question(s) back by responding with a question i.e. "Why do you ask?" or something similar.

I would not lie to a LEO. If they are not a LEO acting in performance of their duty, it's none of their business whether or not I'm carrying, and I have no responsibility toward them to be truthful or to answer their question at all. My answer was predicated on the election official not being a LEO, hence my answer. Wylde's answer notwithstanding, until the election official could show me verifiable evidence that he had been apponted as a LEO for the election, he was just another citizen.

Wylde's questions are pertinent. To have arrest powers, must they not be sworn officers?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I was trying to figure out how Norfolk could prohibit firearms at the polls under election "law" .......

Norfolk did not prohibit firearms under election law. The state simply overlooked OC as an option, and Norfolk was following what they were told. I'm working on getting it fixed. I'm hoping to have the correction soon.

Last edited:

wylde007

Norfolk did not prohibit firearms under election law. The state simply overlooked OC as an option, and Norfolk was following what they were told. I'm working on getting it fixed. I'm hoping to have the correction soon.
What I was trying to say is that I found that particular section while attempting to disprove the Norfolk pollster's statements.

I know you are working on getting it reviewed, It was just something I came upon in my personal investigation - trying to discover if there was some bureaucratic loophole or GA delegated authority in the code.

There does not appear to be. I found this section interesting, is all.