Thread: Van Andel Arena in GR

Van Andel Arena in GR

Well, this could be interesting.

I bought tickets to an upcoming concert in December at the Van Andel Arena. I am pretty sure that the Van Andel will have security out in force, conducting either pat-downs, metal-detection, or both. Since the Van Andel Arena is owned and operated by the Grand Rapids-Kent County Convention/Arena Authority (a city-county entity formed under county authority see MCL 141.1401 - MCL 141.1414), although concealed carry would be prohibited under MCL 28.425o (Sports arena or Stadium), I believe that OC would not only be legal but also could not be prohibited because of MCL 123.1101 (Michigan's Firearm Preemption Law).
    I will be writing a letter to the authority tomorrow to see what they say. I am also going to include a copy of the MCL's, the new MSP Legal Update, and any thing else I can think of just to make sure that they understand I can legally carry at the arena. Wish me luck!
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Well, this could be interesting.

I bought tickets to an upcoming concert in December at the Van Andel Arena. I am pretty sure that the Van Andel will have security out in force, conducting either pat-downs, metal-detection, or both. Since the Van Andel Arena is owned and operated by the Grand Rapids-Kent County Convention/Arena Authority (a city-county entity formed under county authority see MCL 141.1401 - MCL 141.1414), although concealed carry would be prohibited under MCL 28.425o (Sports arena or Stadium), I believe that OC would not only be legal but also could not be prohibited because of MCL 123.1101 (Michigan's Firearm Preemption Law).
    I will be writing a letter to the authority tomorrow to see what they say. I am also going to include a copy of the MCL's, the new MSP Legal Update, and any thing else I can think of just to make sure that they understand I can legally carry at the arena. Wish me luck!

include a picture of Han Solo with his openly carried BlasTech DL-44 in that snazzy holster, that should prove without question that its legal. worked for me anyway,,,

oh good luck!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Thumbs up

It will be interesting to see how they get around that one!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

keep us posted!

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    I cant wait to see what happens with this! I would love to be able to carry there. Good luck let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    It will be interesting to see how they get around that one!
    They'll start an independant corporation and sell the buildings to the corp. for $1 and then lease them from the corp. for $1/year.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    They'll start an independant corporation and sell the buildings to the corp. for $1 and then lease them from the corp. for $1/year.

Bronson
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned

"you don't need to see my identification" obi-wan kenobi just wave your hand in front of any security who question you, works like a charm!

or,,,,

you could keep doing what your doing and eventually you will win! if its owned by the county and is run with public funds bingo bango pre-emption applies, and by default you win!!!!!!!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!