• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Van Andel Arena in GR

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Well, this could be interesting.

I bought tickets to an upcoming concert in December at the Van Andel Arena. I am pretty sure that the Van Andel will have security out in force, conducting either pat-downs, metal-detection, or both. Since the Van Andel Arena is owned and operated by the Grand Rapids-Kent County Convention/Arena Authority (a city-county entity formed under county authority see MCL 141.1401 - MCL 141.1414), although concealed carry would be prohibited under MCL 28.425o (Sports arena or Stadium), I believe that OC would not only be legal but also could not be prohibited because of MCL 123.1101 (Michigan's Firearm Preemption Law).
I will be writing a letter to the authority tomorrow to see what they say. I am also going to include a copy of the MCL's, the new MSP Legal Update, and any thing else I can think of just to make sure that they understand I can legally carry at the arena. Wish me luck!

NHCGRPR45

Well, this could be interesting.

I bought tickets to an upcoming concert in December at the Van Andel Arena. I am pretty sure that the Van Andel will have security out in force, conducting either pat-downs, metal-detection, or both. Since the Van Andel Arena is owned and operated by the Grand Rapids-Kent County Convention/Arena Authority (a city-county entity formed under county authority see MCL 141.1401 - MCL 141.1414), although concealed carry would be prohibited under MCL 28.425o (Sports arena or Stadium), I believe that OC would not only be legal but also could not be prohibited because of MCL 123.1101 (Michigan's Firearm Preemption Law).
I will be writing a letter to the authority tomorrow to see what they say. I am also going to include a copy of the MCL's, the new MSP Legal Update, and any thing else I can think of just to make sure that they understand I can legally carry at the arena. Wish me luck!

include a picture of Han Solo with his openly carried BlasTech DL-44 in that snazzy holster, that should prove without question that its legal. worked for me anyway,,,:lol:

oh good luck!

stainless1911

Banned
popkorn.gif

NHCGRPR45

"you don't need to see my identification" obi-wan kenobi just wave your hand in front of any security who question you, works like a charm!

or,,,,

you could keep doing what your doing and eventually you will win! if its owned by the county and is run with public funds bingo bango pre-emption applies, and by default you win!!!!!!!:banana: