• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Could my 18 year old son legally carry a handgun in Vermont?

JohnnyO

He will be 18 soon. We don't have anything planned. I am curious if in the free state of Vermont he could carry one of my handguns if we were visiting.

M1911a1lvr

Yes your son can possess a handgun and carry it on his person in the state of Vermont. Since a 16yo can possess one with adult supervision. He just cannot purchase any handgun ammunition, we don't have very many roadblocks when it comes to where you can and can't go with a OC/CC'd handgun.

You can go into restaurants, banks, bars, other shops, etc that you want too here. except for any federal, state or municipal buildings. IE: no Federal or State credit unions, City halls, Court houses, etc.

We do have private property laws in that if a business owner asks you to leave because of the firearm you must leave.

almost all of the PD's and VSP are very cognizant of the firearms/carry laws of the state. You don't have to tell them that you are carrying a firearm, it is just common courtesy to do so.

A handgun maybe carried loaded in your vehicle OC/CC, But not long guns. The term loaded for Vermont means this:

No rounds in the magazine or the chamber area of a firearm, or if it has a detachable magazine. To not be in the mag well. You can have them openly displayed or cased in the vehicle, But if you are on the Federal highway system (I-91,I-89) You cannot have them in a rifle window rack..

Vermont Fish and Wildlife has the responsibility to enforce most firearms laws in the state. Grab a fish and wildlife book anywhere that sells hunting/fishing licenses to get one.

JohnnyO

Thank you for the replies.

It is quite comforting knowing that there still is a place that respects liberty.

aadvark

WRONG!

Vermont ALLOWS Open Carry and Concealed Carry in Public Buildings, just not Public Institutions.

The relevant Vermont Statute are:

§ 4003. Carrying dangerous weapons.
A Person who Carries a Dangerous or Deadly Weapon, Openly or Concealed..., within any State Institution or upon the Grounds or Lands Owned or Leased for the use of such Institution, without the Approval of the Warden or Superintendent of the Institution, shall be Imprisoned not more than Two Years or Fined..., $200.00, or both.

§ 4004. Possession of Dangerous or Deadly Weapon in a School Bus or School Building or on School Property.
(a) No Person shall knowingly Possess a Firearm or a Dangerous or Deadly Weapon while within a School Building or on a School Bus. A Person who Violates this Section shall, for the First Offense, be Imprisoned not more than One Year or Fined..., $1,000.00, or both..., etc..

§ 4016. Weapons in Court.
(a) As used in this Section: (1) 'Courthouse" means a Building or any Portion of a Building designated by the Supreme Court of Vermont as a Courthouse.
(b) A Person who, while within a Courthouse [as defined under (a)(1) of § 4016], and without Authorization from the Court..., (1) Carries or Has in His or her Possession a Firearm..., (2) shall be Imprisoned not more than One Year or Fined..., $500.00, or both.

The ONLY PLACES off-limits in Vermont are: 1. State Institutions [Prisons and Mental Health Assylums], 2. Schools [K-12 AND COLLEGES/Universites, whether Public, Private, or Parochial], AND 3. Courthouses [designated as such per (a)(1) of § 4016].

Local Governments may not Ban Firearms in Public Buildings throughout Vermont under Vermont Code § 2295.

§ 2295. Authority of Municipal and County Governments to Regulate Firearms, Ammunition..., etc..
Except as otherwise provided by Law, no Town, City or Incorporated Village, by Ordinance, Resolution or other Enactment, shall Directly Regulate..., the Possession, Ownership, Transportation, Transfer, Sale, Purchase, Carrying, Licensing or Registration of..., Firearms, Ammunition or Components of Firearms or Ammunition. This Section shall not Limit the Powers Conferred upon a Town, City or Incorporated Village under Section 2291(8) [§2291(8) provides: To Regulate or Prohibit the Use or Discharge, but not Possession of, Firearms within the Municipality..., but shall not effect any Sport Shooting Range, as that Term is defined in Section 5227 of Title 10 of this Title]..., The Provisions of this Section shall Supersede any Inconsistent Provisions of a Municipal Charter.

Open Carry, or Concealed Carry, absent Criminal Intent, is Permitted in ALL non-State Facilities in Vermont, in accordance with the clear and unambigous Vermont Laws, as cited above.

Schools are OFF LIMITS!

Furthermore, Banks [to include: Federal AND State Credit Unions] are Legal to Open or Conceal Carry thereupon, BUT they are Private Property, and they can Regulate their Private Property as they wish. Simply put, if you are adked to Leave, you have to Leave when asked.

Last edited:

KBCraig

except for any federal, state or municipal buildings. IE: no Federal or State credit unions....
Credit unions and banks are not federal or state buildings! They are private businesses, no matter what they're named.

But if you are on the Federal highway system (I-91,I-89) You cannot have them in a rifle window rack..
Now we've reached the level of double baloney. Hogwash!

Last edited:

Daniel R. Madigan

not true about adult supervision

not true about adult supervision ... . he dont need a supervision to own , concealed or openly carry a firearm .!!!! but he can not buy handguns from FFL dealer . i know because i live in vt and i open carry !!!! ccccccc

vermonter

Open Carry 18

He is allowed to carry in Vermont at 18. In fact I think 16 is the age to carry, but I am not 100% sure. All I can say looking back is at 18 I was no way mature enough to handle carrying a weapon that may be used for defense in a crowded setting with lot's of bystanders. The only place you would need it in Vermont is the Old North End of Burlington, and I doubt you will be putting "Little Somalia" on your vacation agenda. IMHO it should be 21 to carry a handgun (18 if you are military), and 16 a long gun with a safety course and hunting license. Sorry but 16 or 18 is generally not mature enough to make deadly force decisions in public. I have 30 years as an NRA instructor.

KBCraig

The only place you would need it in Vermont is the Old North End of Burlington...
Please consult your crystal ball, and tell me where else I might possibly "need" a gun. I make it a firm rule to never go anywhere where I need a gun. If I can't avoid going, I don't go alone with just a handgun; I go with friends, with long guns.

IMHO it should be 21 to carry a handgun (18 if you are military), and 16 a long gun with a safety course and hunting license. Sorry but 16 or 18 is generally not mature enough to make deadly force decisions in public.
So, what other arbitrary restrictions would you impose?

I have 30 years as an NRA instructor.
Oops, never mind. I can only assume that you would prefer that Vermont switch from "constitutional carry" to a licensed carry system, with your NRA courses sufficing for proof of competence.

*feh*

Freedom 1st

Are you serious?

he is allowed to carry in vermont at 18. In fact i think 16 is the age to carry, but i am not 100% sure. All i can say looking back is at 18 i was no way mature enough to handle carrying a weapon that may be used for defense in a crowded setting with lot's of bystanders. The only place you would need it in vermont is the old north end of burlington, and i doubt you will be putting "little somalia" on your vacation agenda. Imho it should be 21 to carry a handgun (18 if you are military), and 16 a long gun with a safety course and hunting license. Sorry but 16 or 18 is generally not mature enough to make deadly force decisions in public. I have 30 years as an nra instructor.

pffft

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He is allowed to carry in Vermont at 18. In fact I think 16 is the age to carry, but I am not 100% sure. All I can say looking back is at 18 I was no way mature enough to handle carrying a weapon that may be used for defense in a crowded setting with lot's of bystanders. The only place you would need it in Vermont is the Old North End of Burlington, and I doubt you will be putting "Little Somalia" on your vacation agenda. IMHO it should be 21 to carry a handgun (18 if you are military), and 16 a long gun with a safety course and hunting license. Sorry but 16 or 18 is generally not mature enough to make deadly force decisions in public. I have 30 years as an NRA instructor.

Why would you impose restrictions that have been shown to be ineffectual and unnecessary?

Neither your experience as an instructor, not mine qualify us as as analysts of the end results.

aadvark

To ALL Who may be Concerned:

Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(x) states that a Person needs to be 21 to Purchase Handguns and Handgun Ammunition from a Federal Firearms Licensee.

However, The Default Carry Age is 18.

In Vermont, The Default Carry Age is 16.

Private Purchase of a Handgun is Lawful at 18, as is Receipt of The Same as an Inheritance or as a Gift.

aadvark

Kingfish

Wanted to pull out this little nugget...
I can say looking back is at 18 I was no way mature enough to handle carrying a weapon...
So, because YOU were not mature that means we need to restrict the rights of those who may be?

DWCook

Activist Member
my personal opinion is this, Knowing how many years one has with dealing with firearms DOES not make someone more appointed in decision making. It may not sound right to say that, but whenever I hear the old term....I have "20 years" or "30 years" and then making a statement against 18 year old's being able to carry. 18 and up were all adults, situations change and as long as these younger crowds get a bit of training, I do not see the issue of 18 year old's Open carrying. Also with the new age of things folks, I have met MANY mature 18 year old's, and also a good amount of 16 year old's with their heads on right. We all know the older generation folks here have a different opinion on seeing certain ideas.

vermonter

Kingfish, Give me a break! I have lived in Burlington long enough to know that MOST of the 18 year olds in the "Old North End" are Oxycontin addicts, fight at the drop of the hat and barely have 8th grade educations. Granted this applies mainly to those who live North of Pearl St. They are not even mature enough to handle Airsoft guns and EVIDENCED by the Airsoft "gunfights" in the parking garages downtown! I am so sick of everone defending the "gun rights" of those who act irresponsibly not only with guns, but with everything they do. Sound like a liberal mindset to me, making excuses for everything a criminal does. Aw, the poor baby had a bad childhood... Give me a break. Yes there are 18 years olds that are responsible, but I have RARELY seen any. Even the "responsible" UVM students who do everything right in life are REGULARLY so drunk they could not even hold a firearm without falling over! Hey while were at it why not let little kids drive as soon as they are able to reach the pedals? No wonder the libtards have so much "ammo" to use against us!

Kingfish

Kingfish, Give me a break! I have lived in Burlington long enough to know that MOST of the 18 year olds in the "Old North End" are Oxycontin addicts, fight at the drop of the hat and barely have 8th grade educations. Granted this applies mainly to those who live North of Pearl St. They are not even mature enough to handle Airsoft guns and EVIDENCED by the Airsoft "gunfights" in the parking garages downtown! I am so sick of everone defending the "gun rights" of those who act irresponsibly not only with guns, but with everything they do. Sound like a liberal mindset to me, making excuses for everything a criminal does. Aw, the poor baby had a bad childhood... Give me a break. Yes there are 18 years olds that are responsible, but I have RARELY seen any. Even the "responsible" UVM students who do everything right in life are REGULARLY so drunk they could not even hold a firearm without falling over! Hey while were at it why not let little kids drive as soon as they are able to reach the pedals? No wonder the libtards have so much "ammo" to use against us!
I can't tell if you are serious or not. If you are then I feel pretty sorry for you.