• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thank God I had my gun. How would you have reacted???

lopez100790

Last night I got off work late and on my way home I decided 2 stop at QT and pump some gas. This was at about 1am. As I pulled up to the pump on my motorcycle two thugs approached and asked me for money. Obviously I said I didnt have any change and one responded by saying "well were just gona have to see about that". One got behind my bike and the other in the front. They both walked towards me in a treatening manner (you could tell they were up to no good) and the one behind me suddently reached for my pocket which clearly had my wallet in it. To there surprise I jumped off my bike and reached for my firearm that I openly carry. They hadent seen it cause I carry on my right and they approached me on my left side. Once they saw that I had my hand on my gun they immediatly backed up and took off. I really regret not getting the LEO's involved. I guess I looked like the perfect victim since I look very young. I just turned 20 but appear much younger. This was the first time I have ever had to reach for my weapon. How would you have handled the situation?? and What suggestions could you give me just incase this ever happens again?? Do you think my reactions were correct.

Thanks ahead of time

frankiep

bikers approaching you

If it happened just like you said it did, YES.....I'm glad you also showed enough restraint not to take it further after they began retreating. Good restraint, and I'm glad you're OK....Frank P

sultan62

It sounds like you handled the situation very well. The only suggestion I would make is the one you have already noted-file a police report next time. It might even be worth reporting now.

GWbiker

IMO, OP handled the situation well and I suggest he inform Police of the event. Perhaps the QT had security cameras recording the pump area which may help identify the two panhandlers.

azcdlfred

I really regret not getting the LEO's involved
Unfortunatley, that could have been your undoing. The basic rule is that whoever calls 911 first is the "good" guy.

All they had to do was call the cops and say you threatened them with a gun (he had a witness - his buddy) and you'd be arrested, especially since you didn't even bother to call the cops.

Fred

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

I'd prob'ly have done more than put my hand on the gun (defensive display). I would have called 911 immediately thereafter however and detailed the problem... description and direction of BG egress (if I hadn't had to shoot 'em 1st.) Then wait for the law to show up.

lopez100790

Unfortunatley, that could have been your undoing. The basic rule is that whoever calls 911 first is the "good" guy.

All they had to do was call the cops and say you threatened them with a gun (he had a witness - his buddy) and you'd be arrested, especially since you didn't even bother to call the cops.

Fred

There was two other people pumping gas who witnessed this. One of them actually gave me a thumbs up after the fact. Either way thanks for the comment I will definitly report it to the police next time. I was just in shock and wanted 2 get the heck out of there.

lopez100790

I'd prob'ly have done more than put my hand on the gun (defensive display). I would have called 911 immediately thereafter however and detailed the problem... description and direction of BG egress (if I hadn't had to shoot 'em 1st.) Then wait for the law to show up.

I was still sitting on my motorcycle when this happened. They just came out of god know where and it all happened really quick. My natural instinct was to get in defensive display. As a young OCer I now know to get the cops involved next time. Thanks

Sonora Rebel

Now you know... that you'll never know where it'll come from or when. Stay alert when armed.

JoeGlock40

good job buddy..the first time i had my life threatened was only a month after startin OC when i was 21 and did the same exact thing, just grip the pistol but didnt draw...sum witness called the cops before i could tho...but where was this QT and wut kinda bike u ridin

lopez100790

good job buddy..the first time i had my life threatened was only a month after startin OC when i was 21 and did the same exact thing, just grip the pistol but didnt draw...sum witness called the cops before i could tho...but where was this QT and wut kinda bike u ridin

It was the QT in West Phx on 67th Ave and McDowell. I drive a suzuki boulevard cruiser. I know its not a harley but at my age I am more then satisfied. I worked hard to buy it and its my first motorcycle. Nice to know that other people have gone thru what I did. I guess I acted in a reasonable matter =)

JoeGlock40

harleys are over rated anyway..i got my first bike 2 years ago for 900 bux, a 86 honda cb700...i love it..not as much as my trustworthy glock and even tho its a honda its still not as reliable as the glock

DEFENSOR

Well done

You did well in that situation. The agressors ran away without your money or your gun and you rode away with both. Two reasons to be more aware in your situation, when you are carrying obviously and when you are riding.
I am always keeping an extra eye out when I ride. If you are going to get off the bike, get off immediately. I wear a full face helmet, if I am going to take it off I do so right away as it eliminates my peripheral vision. I do not open carry
on my bike cause here in California it would take a bike to squeak between the school zones. Nice job, Carry on.

GWbiker

Of course in Arizona we have the added advantage of LOADED gun OC, which includes a round in the chamber and no permit ncessary.

mFonz77

I would say you did well. I would also echo the rest that you should definitely call LEO any time there is defensive display. As a fellow biker of the non-Harley sort (Kaw Vulcan Nomad here...) I also OC on my bike from time to time. Usually I CC just in case of a spill at least my gun will be partially protected by gear. Glad you are safe.

ETA: Did either of them have a weapon? I'm sure any judge/jury in AZ would see the clear-cut disparity of force (2 on 1) but I'm just curious. If you had informed LEO I wouldn't be so curious but that could give the thuggers a weak leg to stand on.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
It sounds like you handled the situation very well. The only suggestion I would make is the one you have already noted-file a police report next time. It might even be worth reporting now.

Yep, police report and video surveillance footage from the convenience store... certainly could help to ID these thugs that need to be encouraged in every way possible to GET A REAL LIFE, Before their Darwinian type actions result in their being awarded at least a mention in the years DARWIN AWARDS!

IT IS NOT TOO LATE TO REPORT THIS NOW. The longer you delay to more likely the surveillance video is LOST to you.

Last edited:

Slayer of Paper

One other thing to think about concerning contacting the police:

These two creeps aren't going to stop trying to mug people just because they ran into someone who stood up to them and was prepared to defend themselves. If anything, it taught them that they should have weapons of their own (possibly firearms) to counter that possibility.

Filing a police report would have been a good step that might have resulted in these thugs being arrested and convicted, so that no one else falls prey to them.