• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I want to Open carry but..

BillMCyrus

Allentown, PA just got slapped HARD for harassing someone for OC'ing, so I don't think it's going to be as much of a problem again in PA for a while now.

AngryBiker

::giggling:: It's late, I'm tired, it's been a while...
Keep in mind the favorite canard about guns suuposedly compensating for underendowment (for men), then re-read that line.

Another lie perpetuated by the anti's. We've got a nice collection of videos showing nothing at all happening while people OC. I'll send you the link to one of me at my bank (it has to stay unpublised until after the Court reviews the whole lot of them).

LOL, MKEgal, you busted me and my double entendre. I wouldn't have a problem with open carry, I'm just not sure I want to put up with harassment from the local LEOs.

AirBear

Welcome to the forum. All the previous comments on your post are accurate and true.
Please feel free to exercise any desire you have to shop, dine, car wash, hike, garden, jog ,bike ride etc. while wearing any handgun or handguns of your choice here in Alabama. You won't feel comfortable doing so until you get your feet wet and just do it.
Enjoy the freedom and enjoyment of shopping for different holsters to compliment your chosen attire for the day.
The way women have for years tried to match shoes and purses, we now can match shoes, holsters, belts, ammo pouches etc. Can get a bit expensive, but the more you look all together, the better you will feel about yourself and the less likely you will even encounter a question. You might very well get a compliment from one of us savvy aficionados of guns and their accessories.
Bottom line is, you are in the right by open carrying in Alabama. So carry with confidence. Confidence and self assuredness can be seen and felt from a hundred yards away. So can politeness and a smile. Don't forget to use both.

since9

Campaign Veteran
One thing I'd suggest changing: Am I free to go.
You can get a no to this and still a denial of being detained.
Why not use: Am I being detained?
That way if you get a no you can just say: Thank you, I'll be on my way now.
If at that point the officer tells you that you cannot leave then you've just confirmed that you ARE being detained, even if the LEO says you're not. If you're not free to go, you're being detained.

Excellent advice! I'll have to remember that.

Remember 2 major LEO contact rules. Everything YOU say can and will be used against you in a court of law. Anything the LEO says is deemed hearsay and is inadmissable in court unless it's been recorded.

Also good advice, although technically, "heresay" simply refers to second-hand information i.e. "Joe told me that Terry did/said..." Eyewitness information is first-hand information, not heresay. The attorney working for the law enforcement office will attempt to get anything and everything you say dismissed as heresay. Just counter any such objection with "Your honor, this is an eyewitness account." Make sure you're under oath in court before you offer it up, however. Regardless, it can easily be dismissed by the judge if the LEO counters with "I did not...", so the recorder is your ticket out of the loosing they said, you said battle.

Cool, calm, collected, and professional attitude will work magic with LEOs.

This works well with a lot of people, in all kinds of situations!