• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Humbling Experience

SFCRetired

I voted today. No big deal, you say? My bride was with me. She couldn't vote because she is not a U.S. citizen. She has never seen a free democratic election until I had her watch the process today.

I would like for each and every one of you to think on that last sentence. In her country, there are no free elections, the only people who have guns are the police, the military, and the bad guys. In her country, there is no free speech nor right to peaceably assemble. There is no right to petition the government for redress of grievances. The list goes on and on and covers almost all of the rights that so many of us take for granted.

Looking through her eyes, I now have a much better appreciation for, and much deeper gratitude for, what it means to be an American.

If you haven't voted, go do it now. If you have, thank you!