• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Washington question

Sonora Rebel

A friend (last night) informed me that if I were to carry my sidearm in Seattle (or anywhere else in WA) in the same open manner as I carry here in AZ... I'd get arrested.

OK... so what's the current deal in WA? The language of the WA Constitution SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS is identical to that of AZ (Art 2 Sec 26) ".
"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this Section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."

What's the current (actual) dynamic?

tannerwaterbury

A friend (last night) informed me that if I were to carry my sidearm in Seattle (or anywhere else in WA) in the same open manner as I carry here in AZ... I'd get arrested.

OK... so what's the current deal in WA? The language of the WA Constitution SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS is identical to that of AZ (Art 2 Sec 26) ".
"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this Section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."

What's the current (actual) dynamic?

There is an FAQ in our forum, perhaps you should read it. It gives the basic rundown on what is and is NOT legal.

Batousaii

HeLLoo

It rains here a little, but on sunny days i either open carry my 1911, or my summer time sidearm is a Ruger Vaquero in .45 colt that is holstered in an old fashioned drop loop rig. Rainy days i CC (i have my permit). I am from the western side of WA, been OC in Seattle pikes place, various buildings etc. Seattle police is rather versed in OC. I often OC in Tacoma and around Kitsap county too. The biggest thing to be aware of, is you need a concealed pistol license if your going to OC loaded in a car (bus, public transit, trains -any vehicle needs a permit). Without a permit, you will need to unload.
- Open carry in WA is rather simple here. OC is legal here, and growing acceptance helps allot too. Concealed weapons and loaded OC in cars need the permit on hand. No federal buildings and schools. Private property can ask you to leave or cover up. - basic stuffs.

Hope that helps.

Bat:dude:

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

Attachments

• 222-Starbucks_Guns.jpg
    222-Starbucks_Guns.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

FMCDH

Your friend is misinformed.

OC is legal and does not require a license as long as it is properly holstered and visible as far as the "reasonable man" doctrine is concerned.

That being said, some Washington LE are poorly trained or have personal prejudices against citizens carrying firearms, and confrontations are not unheard of, if somewhat rare. Seattle PD are actually very well trained overall on this subject, so all you have to deal with is the rare individual officer prejudice.

Note:
The city of Seattle is the Washington bastion of liberalism, and if someone there is going to call 911 on their own shadow, that’s the place it will happen.

You take your chances with LE stepping over their bounds, but chances are you will be fine. As the other poster recommended, read the FAQ for best information.

aadvark

Washington Law is in a State-of-Flux concerning Open Carry.
There has recently been an Open Carry Case in Washington concerning the totality of State Law RCW 9.41.270.
RCW 9.41.270 does not directly Criminalize Open Carry, BUT there is too much Ambiguity in The State Statute to Authorize an Open Carry Arrest, just to see what will happen later with The State Prosecutors.
RCW 9.41.270 was passed in the early 1970's in response to Black Panther Activity in both California and Washington State.

Jeff Hayes

OC at he Spokane Airport

Sonora your frend is very misinformed. I OC every where I go that it is legal to do so, over 2 years now without an incident. Here I am 2 months ago picking my son and his family up at the airport in Spokane.

Attachments

• OC at GEG.jpg
    OC at GEG.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

amzbrady

Snip
It rains here a little,
Hope that helps.

Bat:dude:

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

View attachment 4412

Bill Starks

State Researcher
A few of us just a few weeks ago met downtown Seattle for coffee, walked through Pikes Place Market as well as the length of the waterfront.

No one thrown to the ground, no one in cuffs, no one ticketed....... Although Deros did turn a few heads with his wonderful hair.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
I've OC'd in one of the most Liberal parts of the city and no one said a word. We have the occasional uninformed officer or deputy who causes a problem, but by and large the LEOs in the Puget Sound area up on the carry laws. We're currently working on having some of the old local laws taken off the books that were in effect prior to the preemption code going into effect back in 1983(?).

Next step: Constitutional Carry!

Sonora Rebel

Just reading current 'law' doesn't mean squat if the 'law' is disregarded by those sworn to uphold it. What I was lookin' for was the acutal dynamic goin' on for open carry. Y'all answered my question. Thanx!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Perhaps this will help?

How about a picture with the Attorney General of the State of Washington standing in downtown Seattle (Westlak Plazza) with the Seattle PD in the background. Says alot now doesn't it???

Enjoy Washington...

washingtonoclicense.jpg

Just reading current 'law' doesn't mean squat if the 'law' is disregarded by those sworn to uphold it. What I was lookin' for was the acutal dynamic goin' on for open carry. Y'all answered my question. Thanx!

Jeff Hayes

How about a picture with the Attorney General of the State of Washington standing in downtown Seattle (Westlak Plazza) with the Seattle PD in the background. Says alot now doesn't it???

Enjoy Washington...

washingtonoclicense.jpg

Gogo you just had to one up us, didn't ya, LOL

Welcome to Washington Sonora, enjoy your time here.

sudden valley gunner

Hey Sonora you 'onry s'mbitch if you make it to the north end of the state let me know I'll buy you a cup of joe, and I open carry everywhere I go even at work sometimes.

Sonora Rebel

Hey Sonora you 'onry s'mbitch if you make it to the north end of the state let me know I'll buy you a cup of joe, and I open carry everywhere I go even at work sometimes.

Actually... I'm not goin' to WA at all... this was just a question in response to my friends 'tale' of anti-OCness in Seattle. 'You up in Bellingham, Whidby Island area? 'Got thrown outta the AmLegion hall in Bellingham for doin' Barbarian Toasts back durin' the VN war... 'tween rousing choruses if 'The Good Ship Venus'. Too much for local sensibilities I s'pose? Y'all dress funny up there.

Last edited:

amzbrady

Actually... I'm not goin' to WA at all... this was just a question in response to my friends 'tale' of anti-OCness in Seattle. 'You up in Bellingham, Whidby Island area? 'Got thrown outta the AmLegion hall in Bellingham for doin' Barbarian Toasts back durin' the VN war... 'tween rousing choruses if 'The Good Ship Venus'. Too much for local sensibilities I s'pose? Y'all dress funny up there.

The only really normal dress code is Socks and Sandals

View attachment 4435
All other dress is optional...
View attachment 4436

Sonora Rebel

This is my version of open carry.

Attachments

• 10-24-10 Arroyo 004.JPG
    10-24-10 Arroyo 004.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 104

sudden valley gunner

I'm in bellingham area, liberal hippy retreat of the north, yet the only folks to harass me over my carry are the power tripping LEO's. The majority of the time people are very supportive of my carry.