Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armed at work(secretly)

Armed at work(secretly)

im a security guard at a mall in tucson and have been CC while at work since i mostly work graveyards when its just me and one other guard...me being the gun nut and wana be able to defend myself and others if need be have been carryin there since my second month there after hearing all the storys from other guards bout guns drawn in the parking lot and punks busted by cops in the mall that are illegally possessing guns, i decided to arm myself with my glock 22 in a crossbreed supertuck delux(conceals great2)..my partner night guard is a glock fan also and has a glock 30..after we had a kid threaten us and me and my fellow guard witnessing a few crackheads trippin out bad in the parking lot my buddy finally decided he was gona carry on the clock, instead of leavin it in his truck, after i told him i was ready incase sumthin happened there...yea i can get fired if i ever get caught with it since its against mall and my security company policy to carry, but since its conceald the only way someone is gona know i have it is if i had to draw it in defense of myself or someone else...and i think id be fine with that...so just my lil gun carryin story...anyone else carry at a job where their "not suppose to"?

first of all......this....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	4414  
    Last edited by GWbiker; 11-02-2010 at 05:29 PM.

ya i no...im kinda a runon

Joe, I understand....

It is a risk that you are taking in the job you have. As long as no one knows, you are responsible and safe....why not. You have a right to protect yourself.

Joe, one bit of advice I'll offer concerning the risk of having a gun at work - "Don't ask, don't tell".

yea thats y i didnt say which mall i work at or wut side of town...me and my buddy know we'd be fired if anyone caught us so its just between me n him.....and whoever reads this i guess

Well first, I'm guessing your name is Joe, though obv. I could be wrong.

Second, my (unfounded) guess is that there aren't too many malls in Tuscon, where you've said you live according to your profile. An anonymous tip by an anti to the area malls could potentially end up with you and your buddy fired.

:)

I've always found the idea of unarmed security idiotic at best and dangerous to public safety at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by DustoneGT View Post
    I've always found the idea of unarmed security idiotic at best and dangerous to public safety at worst.
    It is an instantaneous oxy-moronic broken promise.

Those who fall for it will be thinned from the herd... Those with a brain are not part of the herd.

What they dont know...wont hurt em

Quote Originally Posted by DustoneGT View Post
    The funniest is the bigger companies in Detroit who insist on "unarmed" guards. Most are armed with concealed handguns, but technically unarmed.

And yep, I agree with Sultan. I wholly agree with carrying at all times, but it's best not to run your mouth about where you work when describing carrying against work rules. Jobs are too hard to get to take such useless risks.
    Last edited by Michigander; 11-03-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

yea everyone at my work knows we should be armed but the companys dont want the liability and to pay the extra insurance to have it out there...i guess they think a couple workmans comp bills for stab and gunshot wounds would be cheaper..even a few lawsuits probably...even if security had tasers itd be better than nothin but most wont even do that

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGlock40 View Post
    im a security guard at a mall...
    1. You're walking a fine line admitting you are a mall security guard, although you appear to be pretty normal. Google gecko45 if you don't know what I'm incinuating.

2. Don't admit on the internet that you are breaking the law. The internet is forever and anyone can see it. Bad OPSEC to tell everyone that you are a criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by sonoran_Tj View Post
    2. Don't admit on the internet that you are breaking the law. The internet is forever and anyone can see it. Bad OPSEC to tell everyone that you are a criminal.
    It's a stretch to call this law breaking or criminal.

1. You're walking a fine line admitting you are a mall security guard, although you appear to be pretty normal. Google gecko45 if you don't know what I'm incinuating.

They should ditch the guns, stuff an extra trauma plate or two into their body armor, and carry a briefcase with ceramic plates in it to shield their heads.

SNIP Google gecko45 if you don't know what I'm incinuating. SNIP
    Wow.........

http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

Quote Originally Posted by Coded-Dude View Post

hahahahahahaaa.....classic

I thought the darwin award thread was good, but this was unbelievable!
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

I was wondering how long it would be until mall ninja was referenced...

How did you pass high school?

From an OPSEC standpoint I would suggest never posting that many details again if it involves lawbreaking, even if it is the "letter of the law." IIRC most malls are owned by the same entities (or if they don't I'm sure they compare notes), so I would not be surprised if in the near future Tucson mall guards are "randomly" called in for "inspections" because some lurker tipped them off.

If you went to any mall in Arizona where guns are prohibited, and you could somehow determine via some kind of sensor how many people were carrying guns anyway in complete violation of the posted policy, I suspect it would be shocking.

I say this to people wigged out about the very concept of concealed carry: do you have any clue how many thousands of armed people you have probably walked by in the past year without incident? How often you were daydreaming on a park bench and people with guns are just walking by? How often you're having a nice sandwich at a cafe sitting right next to a guy with a gun and don't know it?

I'm in the same boat

However, I'll be a little less specific about my place of employment. I'll just say "midnight-weekend shifts at a gas station in a major urban city within Arizona." My employers don't want me carrying either, and I would be fired if they found out.

One question I have for those reading my post; What are some of the possible legal consequences for carrying a firearm in my place of employment when it isn't allowed?

I've scoured the internet looking for related stories and incidents but haven't found much, at least not within AZ. It seems to me that the legal consequences would be minimal, if there were any at all, because carrying a firearm isn't a crime, and Jglock and I here are technically agents of our respective properties at which we work.

Also, when it comes to trespassing on private property with a firearm, the letter of the law almost always seems to read... well, let me just post an excerpt from ARS 13-3102.

"10. Unless specifically authorized by law, entering any public establishment or attending any public event and carrying a deadly weapon on his person after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event or the sponsor's agent to remove his weapon and place it in the custody of the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event for temporary and secure storage of the weapon pursuant to section 13-3102.01; or..."

"B. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to:

1. A person in his dwelling, on his business premises or on real property owned or leased by that person or that person's parent, grandparent or legal guardian."

IANAL, but that is how it seems to me. Either way, I'm carrying at work! Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

I will have to agree with the majority of the board. Please don't advertise where you work at because there could be employers reading this board. I am in a similar situation and my work says don't carry, then I don't carry. Someone said it best "Jobs are hard to come by". Especially with the way the economy is in this day of age. But you are a grown person and you make your own decisions-just be ready to suffer the consequences if you get caught. I wish you well and hope that you never have to use it. But if you do-I'd rather for you to go home safe to your family and the other person (s) to the morgue!

Quote Originally Posted by AnderJaspo View Post

One question I have for those reading my post; What are some of the possible legal consequences for carrying a firearm in my place of employment when it isn't allowed?
    Unless you are working in a prohibited place (school, nuclear power plant) , there is nothing criminal you can be charged with other than trespassing. (IANAL - there might be some other things like "suspicion of mischief" or any of those other less "bs" charges).

However, you can be fired pretty much instantly. So at that point it comes down to your own ethics/morals/etc... Whatever you do, be safe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast