• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bonney Lake Municipal Code in violation

devildoc5

I have discussed BLMC violations of State Preemption with the Public Safety Committee chair via phone. He has stated that he is aware of the parks code being in violation but was not aware of the public meeting code at all! He has requested I forward him the proper codes and has stated he will place it on the agenda for next months meeting of the public safety committee.

Last edited:

Deleted_User

AWESOME! You beat me to it. I was looking at those codes myself when I went to talk to Dave @ Jersey Mike's. I'll attend any meeting this comes up in. I work there, so this affects me big time.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I have discussed BLMC violations of State Preemption with the Public Safety Committee chair via phone. He has stated that he is aware of the parks code being in violation but was not aware of the public meeting code at all! He has requested I forward him the proper codes and has stated he will place it on the agenda for next months meeting of the public safety committee.

Fine job now writing the letter or email of choice.
When I do this I provide all available information so they do not have to go look for it and miss the information pertaining to the violations, make it easy and hopefully it will move along easily.

Fine Job, or did I say that Already.

Deleted_User

Bonney Lake's Public Safety Committee next Meeting

I am going to post a few links as I am attending the next meeting on December 6th.

Their calendar is posted here
The city website is here
The website for the city council sub committees is here

DevilDoc, keep in touch with me over this as I will BE there come hell or high water.

It seems there are a few attendees worth speaking to as well:

In attendance:
Mark Hamilton, Chair
Laurie Carter, Council Member
Dan Decker, Council Member
Mike Mitchell, Chief of Police
Kathy Seymour, Ct. Administrator
John McDonald, Deputy Chief
Absent:
Ron Heslop, Judge

The code in question is posted here
9.86.020 Weapons prohibited at public meetings.
Every person who carries upon his person or in his hand or hands, concealed or otherwise, any weapon consisting of any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement, any firearm, stun gun, or “tazer,” or any instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of another, at any public meeting within the city, shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. In addition to any penalty imposed, the dangerous weapon shall be subject to forfeiture by the court pursuant to Chapter 9.41 RCW if it is a firearm as defined therein, and pursuant to this section if it is not a firearm. (Ord. 1058 § 2, 2004; Ord. 947 § 1, 2002; Ord. 703 § 2, 1995).

Last edited:

Deleted_User

Bump

The meeting is next week.

Doc, do you want to get together before going? Did you get on the calendar to speak, or are we going just to support the motion?

Let me know. Thanks

devildoc5

The meeting is next week.

Doc, do you want to get together before going? Did you get on the calendar to speak, or are we going just to support the motion?

Let me know. Thanks

I would prefer to get a "convoy" or something going as I am still not 100% sure of where exactly I am going. I will give you a call sometime in the next day or two to finger this out...

Deleted_User

Directions

The Public Safety Committee meets in the Public Safety Building. Who'd have thunk it :)

Public Safety Building
The Public Safety Building houses the Bonney Lake Police Department, as well as East Pierce Fire & Rescue.
Bonney Lake, WA 98391 Mailing Address: P.O. Box 7380
Bonney Lake, WA 98391
Directions: Get online directions (GoogleMaps)
¤ From Hwy 410 eastbound or westbound, turn NORTH onto Sumner-Buckley Hwy (aka Old Buckley Hwy), at the stop light. You will see Dairy Queen and AM/PM gas station at this intersection.
¤ Turn RIGHT into either the Fire or Police Department lots (there is one lot on either side of the building). You will see a flashing emergency light at the fire station; the Police Department parking lot is just beyond.

It's pretty easy to find, but let's convoy from my house. If ANYONE else wants to come, I have room for 2 and / or will provide directions to my place. I live near the Marksman on 112th / Canyon on South Hill if'n you know the area. PM for more specifics.

Anyone in Bonney Lake we can meet there or at the Dairy Queen which is right across the street from the building.

Deleted_User

Bonney Lake Municipal Codes under review

Bonney Lake Public Safety Committee today held a meeting to discuss a few municipal codes in violation of preemption. They are:

BLMC 9.86.020 (Weapons prohibited in public meetings)

BLMC 12.12.140 (Firearms prohibited in parks)

They are already revising the code in reguards to dogs and medicinal marijuana so this change won't take much to do.

DevilDoc did AWESOME in his presentation. He got a few questions from a judge on the panel, the Chief of Police, and another member of the committee. We handed them a copy of the BLMCs in question and the RCWs covering preemption and places where firearms are prohibited.

Afterwards, we were called over by the Chief of Police and Assistant Chief. After their questions were answered the secretary immediate told DevilDoc the next meeting is January 3rd 2011 and this will be up for vote after the review. All in all, it's a step in the RIGHT direction.

This has been discussed in the Local Codes thread but I wanted to bump this so we know it's an ongoing thing. We are going to begin the e-mails to Lakewood while we are dealing with Bonney Lake. I know Lakewood has "Coffee with the Mayor" days so things like this are invited to be brought up. At least, there USED to be Coffee with the Mayor.

devildoc5

Bonney Lake Public Safety Committee today held a meeting to discuss a few municipal codes in violation of preemption. They are:

BLMC 9.86.020 (Weapons prohibited in public meetings)

BLMC 12.12.140 (Firearms prohibited in parks)

They are already revising the code in reguards to dogs and medicinal marijuana so this change won't take much to do.

DevilDoc did AWESOME in his presentation. He got a few questions from a judge on the panel, the Chief of Police, and another member of the committee. We handed them a copy of the BLMCs in question and the RCWs covering preemption and places where firearms are prohibited.

Afterwards, we were called over by the Chief of Police and Assistant Chief. After their questions were answered the secretary immediate told DevilDoc the next meeting is January 3rd 2011 and this will be up for vote after the review. All in all, it's a step in the RIGHT direction.

This has been discussed in the Local Codes thread but I wanted to bump this so we know it's an ongoing thing. We are going to begin the e-mails to Lakewood while we are dealing with Bonney Lake. I know Lakewood has "Coffee with the Mayor" days so things like this are invited to be brought up. At least, there USED to be Coffee with the Mayor.

Goose I can tell you that they still have a coffee with the mayor thing.

However as I mentioned previously I am not sure that this would be a good idea as it is not anything "official" thus there would be no record of it and nothing to "force them to follow through"...

My opinion at least...

amlevin

Any of these Towns/Cities that have prohibitions on guns in parks and public buildings may choose to wait until Seattle's appeal is resolved before they act. If Seattle prevails, and the Court rules that they can restrict guns from these places then look for most all of these jurisdictions to maintain their current reg's. If Seattle looses then expect a wholesale "cleansing" but most likely as part of a periodic code revision process. Enforcement will just stop.

On that final note, anyone know of a case where someone was cited for having a gun in a park where such a regulation still existed?

devildoc5

Any of these Towns/Cities that have prohibitions on guns in parks and public buildings may choose to wait until Seattle's appeal is resolved before they act. If Seattle prevails, and the Court rules that they can restrict guns from these places then look for most all of these jurisdictions to maintain their current reg's. If Seattle looses then expect a wholesale "cleansing" but most likely as part of a periodic code revision process. Enforcement will just stop.

On that final note, anyone know of a case where someone was cited for having a gun in a park where such a regulation still existed?

With Bonney Lake specifically the code I was having the most problem with was the one that prohibits firearms in a public meeting.

It then goes on to describe a public meeting as:

9.86.010 Public meeting defined.
“Public meeting” is defined for purposes of this chapter as a place, public or quasi-public, or place of public accommodation as defined in the 1965 Civil Rights Act of the United States Congress, occupied by two or more persons within the confines of the city.

That right there is the major problem because it appears as though two or more people eating dinner at Applebees is considered a "public meeting".

amlevin

That right there is the major problem because it appears as though two or more people eating dinner at Applebees is considered a "public meeting".

It would also cover any two city politicians or employees having a couple of drinks in a bar/lounge. This would subject them to the "open meetings act" and would have to keep minutes of these "meetings" which would be public record. If it's good for us, it should be good for them too.

Deleted_User

Bump this topic

The meeting is Monday! That's right, next week at 5pm. I will be @ Jersey Mike's for my birthday dinner @3:30pm if anyone wishes to meet there first. I am hoping this goes to council for vote and adoption next as I hate to see things hung in committee!

amlevin

The meeting is Monday! That's right, next week at 5pm. I will be @ Jersey Mike's for my birthday dinner @3:30pm if anyone wishes to meet there first. I am hoping this goes to council for vote and adoption next as I hate to see things hung in committee!

Should meeting you at your Birthday Dinner bring presents too?

Deleted_User

No presents necessary! I am saving for my present. My wife is getting me a Bersa Thunder .380 as a BUG for CC. She is also getting one. The differences are mine will be black like my Beretta, and hers gets a Crimson Trace. She also wants it the same color as DEROS' Bersa. Ah well, it'll be nice for her to finally have a carry piece.

First, the .380, then we'll work her to the .45 :) Remember folks, this is her FIRST firearm and she picked it out all by herself. Personally, I'm proud of her. Anyway, I don't want to Hijack the thread. We will post pics on a thread when we get them.

Deleted_User

Tonight!!!

I'm skipping dinner due to the wife needing to enroll in college. I will be at the meeting area aroudn 4:30pm if anyone wishes to be there as well. I will be ensuring this gets passed to the City Council proper for vote. Here's to hoping all goes well