• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Single action revolvers

whoopingllama

Is there anyone else who carries one when they are out and about? I know I have asked questions about this before. I have been considering doing this myself for a while. Right now I carry a PX4. I like it plenty, but sometimes i feel I'd really rather have my .45 long colt on me.

sraacke

I cringe whenever I read an article on OC and the writer refers to the practice as being out of the Wild West or like Cowboys carry. As Mike and John have pointed out on this forum, a big part of OCing is gaining public acceptance for the practice. That means putting our best foot forward by dressing decently and carrying in reliable and safe holsters which have some form of retention. This is also why there have been discussions of whether one should carry a 1911 style pistol which is carried "cocked & locked" which often alarms the uninformed citizens. While I would never tell someone what kind of gun they should carry, I think if you have access to a modern, semiauto pistol then there is little reason to carry a single action revolver other than perpetuating the "cowboy" persona. One of the main advantages of OC is being able to carry a full sized, hicap pistol vs a small caliber mouse CC gun for your personal protection. By going with a single action, 18th century design you are really limiting yourself. It's like depending on a bucket of water instead of a multipurpose fire extinguisher for your kitchen fire safety plan. Sure it would work but technology ahs give us much better tools. So it is with your gun.
Keep the single action revolver for fun times on the range. When you are out in public have the modern pistol on your belt.
Of course, it's your decision and I'm not going to judge you if you choose otherwise. Carry On.
Stay Safe,

NRAMARINE

Personally I feel that whatever you are most comfortable with is best for you. While I agree with yale that a modern semi auto in a good retention holster is far superior, I must disagree with the idea of not perpetuating the "cowboy" image. People should be able to legally and responsibly arm and protect themselves by whatever means suit them best. Anyone else's "perception" is just that. Many people secretly arm themselves in such a way as to create the "He must be a cop" effect. Thus somewhat preventing confrontation, but also preventing people from knowing the truth. This IMHO is counterproductive. The idea is for normal people to be comfortable with other normal people exercising their rights. If you feel the need to carry a S&W 500 magnum, and you can do it safely, go ahead. I would think that's crazy, but opinions are like @$$holes. Point is it is just as legal to oc a G22,19,17 etc or a S&W XD as it is to oc a Ruger Vaquero with a cartidge belt. Again while I agree with Yale in practice I must part on principle. Besides, a full power 45lc will do more damage with one round than a 9mm does with two.

Last edited:

KBCraig

I certainly haven't taken a poll, but I believe people would feel less threatened by someone wearing western attire and a traditional cowboy single action rig.

Even the hoplophobes with a negative visceral reaction to any firearm, have a cultural fondness for Roy Rogers and John Wayne, and don't consider the old west cowboy Hollywood stereotype to be a threatening image.

sraacke

Yeah but, Craig, the OP isn't talking about putting on coyboy boots and a Stetson and walking around like an extra from a Roy Rogers show. I'm sorry if my reply pulled the conversation in that direction. He just mentioned swapping his regular pistol out for a SA revolver. There are Unkle Mikes nylon holsters which would fit such a handgun and there was no mention of other wardrobe changes in the OP so I should not assume that the idea it to go all western with the look. And NRAMarine has a point about 45LC being a harder hitting round than a 9mm. I also agree with him when he said that many of us tend to dress like LEOs so as to portray that image to the public in hopes of causing less alarm. I'll admit that that is often a consideration in my choosing attire. It is further added to by my being a ham radio operator who often carries a portable radio on my belt. So with the radio and pistol along with my attire many people make assumptions about my being a LEO.
As far as whether to carry a SA revolver over a DA semiauto we can talk "tactical" and point out a few short commings. Slower to get the same number of rounds on target because of having to manually cock the gun each time. Slower reloads due to having to reload each cartrige at a time vs using a speed loader to dump 6 at a time or slapping in a fresh mag.
Of course, no matter what you carry there will be those who are upset by it. The antis will not be happy if it looks like a Roy Rogers gun any more than if it looks like a LEO gun. When it comes to winning hearts and minds, there are going to be some you just...can't....win. {insert head bang smiley here}
So carry what makes you comfortable, but try to also carry in a way that makes your neighbor (anyone you come across in your day) comfortable if at all possible.
Stay safe and carry on,
Steve

Gunslinger

I generally carry a 1911 or my Hi-Power, but I'd feel more than adequately protected with either my .357 or .44 magnum Blackhawks--the .44 out in the boonies. The .357 shoots fast as any DA that you cock for increased accuracy. Only downside is they load a mite slow, as the song goes. But if I can't get him with six, I shouldn't be there in the first place. The 4 5/8th inch barrel on the .357 makes it more concealable than my Smith 586 with a 4" barrel, btw.

Daylen

carry a cop gun and yer a wanabee cop.
carry something out of the 19th century and yer a wanabee cowboy.
carry something out of the 18th century and yer a wanabee ... revolutionary?

so no matter what anti's will claim you're a wanabee. So why not wear what is comfortable to wear, the user is happy with using and maybe looks good as well. Nothing says formal attire like a single action army 45 with nickel plating or really nice blueing and a quality leather holster.

NRAMARINE

carry a cop gun and yer a wanabee cop.
carry something out of the 19th century and yer a wanabee cowboy.
carry something out of the 18th century and yer a wanabee ... revolutionary?

so no matter what anti's will claim you're a wanabee. So why not wear what is comfortable to wear, the user is happy with using and maybe looks good as well. Nothing says formal attire like a single action army 45 with nickel plating or really nice blueing and a quality leather holster.

Well put.

the last gunfighter

Hi all from here in PA I only OC my Ruger Vaquero SA 45 it's what I'm most comfortable with ( nice bluing with stag grips) and I get just as much looks as I would with my 1911.

buttanic

Maybe a Gen George Patton look with a Sam Brown rig would be better than a cowboy look.

Last edited:

Old Grump

Advantage, I am equally at home with either revolver or emi-automatic and years of hunting and practicing have allowed me to become proficient with single action revolvers.

Diadvantage, fewer rounds and slow to reload

Advantage, larger caliber, fewer shots needed to make a stop

Conclusion, it's a wash, use what you want.

rickc1962

I ware a Ruger Vaquero 45 LC with a seven and a half inch barrel, my rig was custom made for me as was my belts, one belt has 50 loops for horse back riding, camping, hiking or prospecting, the other has 12 loops for around town. I do tho dress, think talk, eat and sleep Cowboy! My firearm fits my hand vary well and just feels right, I ware boots and a cowboy hat most of the time and I get more thumbs up then down, matter of fact I have had on more then one occasion parents stop me so there kids can see what a Cowboy looks like, or to take my picture, but I do live in Az. The way I look at it is, if I can`t stop a bad guy with six shots, it should slow him down enough to reload, if the next six don`t work, either he can`t be stopped or I need a lot more range time, either way i`m a dead man!

Last edited:

Wolfgang1952

I carry a Cimmeron / Uderti / Colt 1861 Navy, Type II Richards with 8” barrel in 38sp. I got my rig from a western gun leather maker from CA. It have four reloads worth of extra ammo on belt. Plus my cell phone to call for backup.

006A1.jpg

004A.jpg

Thos.Jefferson

1858 New Model Army

I carry a Pietta New Model Army. in a hunter holster on a civil war officer's dress belt with an extra cylinder in case 6 ain't enough.Laser accurate and I'd say that .454 round ball sceaming out of the 8 inch barrel at 1000+ fps. has been proven in the past to be pretty much multi-purpose. Inexpensive to shoot and purchase, I just couldn't pass it up ;0).

Attachments

• pistol.jpg
    pistol.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 151