Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC a Large Revolver?

OC a Large Revolver?

Does anybody OC a large framed revolver?

I have a 1960 S&W Model 27 (N frame .357) with a 5" barrel that spends too much time in the safe. Its a gorgeous gun and I'd love to carry it from time to time, but the thought of carrying an N frame revolver seems absurd... its just plain heavy, especially for only 6 rounds!

If you carry an N frame or equivalent sized wheel gun I'd like to hear about your experiences. Is the weight or bulk ever an issue? How about capacity? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FYI, I usually carry an XD 40 Subcompact or a Kimber Custom CDP II.

Love Revolvers.

Yeap, i carry a large frame revolver in the summer time. To be exact, I carry an Old model Ruger Vaquero with a 4.5" barrel in .45 Colt. It gets slung in a drop loop, and is actually very comfortable to wear for long durations, bulk isn't an issue with a comfortable rig. It looks pretty and packs a heck of a wallop is ever needed, however single action revolvers are slow to reload so i carry a small backup. Capacity, well, it is a revolver. I however feel confident with my ability to alleviate a "civilian" encounter with my two pistols. If the zombies come, I would break out my Hi-Cap 9mm CZ-75, AK-47 Battle Rifle with a ton of mags for both, and my very sharp Katana that never runs outa ammo.

Zombies Fear me!

Bat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222-Starbucks_Guns.jpg 
Views:	1230 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	4417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TA-38 R.jpg 
Views:	717 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	4418  
    Last edited by Batousaii; 11-02-2010 at 08:01 PM.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

I regularly carry a Ruger GP-100 with a 6" barrel along with two speed-loaders and no issues.
    Last edited by Devilinbp; 11-02-2010 at 08:18 PM.

I OC my S&W K frame 14-4 with a 6" barrel almost daily. The weight is noticeable but it's not bothersome. I carry a speed loader with an aditional 6 rounds in my pocket. I'll be picking up a semi auto in about 3 weeks but i'll still carry this from time to time as it does make more of a statement if you will for OC. Such as at OC meetups and such. Took some quick picutres for you as well. The holster is just a chepo nylon one from the Local gun shop. Speedloader is an HKS.

I carry an 1858 Remington copy with a spare cylinder. With practice I have become skilled enough to reload in under 6 seconds. It's overall length is 14 inches with an 8 inch bbl. and she weighs in at about 40 oz. and I LOVE IT!! Extremely accurate and it has a certain beauty to it that modern firearms just do not have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pistol.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	4421  
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

I've OC'd a wooden-handled Ruger Redhawk .44 with magnum JHP loads in an old-style leather holster... Beautiful firearm! Feels like you're trying to hand-catch cannon fire every time you pull the trigger, though.

When I lived in Washington State, I CC'd that puppy, both around town and while deer hunting, using a cross-chest carry rig that accomodated its scope.

I prefer my 9mm. 17 rounds vs 6 (33 vs 12, if you count reloading).

Quote Originally Posted by Thos.Jefferson View Post
    I carry an 1858 Remington copy with a spare cylinder. With practice I have become skilled enough to reload in under 6 seconds. It's overall length is 14 inches with an 8 inch bbl. and she weighs in at about 40 oz. and I LOVE IT!! Extremely accurate and it has a certain beauty to it that modern firearms just do not have.
    Beautiful firearm! I keep forgetting about my .44 cap and ball black powder revolver.
    Last edited by since9; 11-05-2010 at 05:28 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    I have OCed my .357 combat Magnum 6" S&W revolver. Big gun for a big guy.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Banned
    I'm prohibited from carrying a gun, but if I were t carry I'd chose a smith and wesson 500, carry some 600 grain ammo along with a coupe of speed loaders.

From time to time I carry a S&W 610, 10mm 5"
    I have no problem with it, and have 4 loaded full moon clips ,
    so I have a total of 30 rds.
    Life is tough, its tougher when your stupid.

http://www.itsnotthelaw.com

Feds: U.C.C. 1-308, State: U.C.C. 1-207, Both: U.C.C. 1-103.6

Oc s&w 629/6"

I open carry my Smith & Wesson 629 with 6" barrel (loaded with 180 gr JHP .44 Special) in a Blackhawk hip holster consistently (only gun I own). I also carry two speedloaders in a belt holster. It is a bit heavy but I find it comforting. It also helps me never forget that I am carrying and helps me maintain situational awareness. And if I ever need to use it the liklihood of the bad guy getting up again are close to 0%.

Quote Originally Posted by Thos.Jefferson View Post
    Do you ever OC with that puppy when runnin' around town? Reason I ask is: If you go into Sheetz/7-11 at 10PM & BGs roll in & say "stick 'em up!" and they notice you back in the beer cooler with that BIG gun on your side & start shootin' at you............. whatz your estimate on your reload time then? 60 secs? =)

I live 3/4 of a mile from a Sheetz that has to shutdown Fri/Sat night @ 2am because of all the violence that has occurred due to the morons rollin' in from the strip clubs & bars. So when I roll in there at 1am, to purchase whatever it is that just can't wait to be purchased until the mornin', I scan the scene from my car once I park & if I feel the need, I load, holster & shop.........otherwise, my puppy lays and waits in the car.

If the crowd is large & menacing I'll take a 1 mile ride up to the next Sheetz. =) Getting into a confrontation and/or having to shoot someone while I OC, is not on my bucket list!

I would OC on a fairly regular basis if I could keep the gun loaded in the car, since when I'm out it's usually after 9pm. However, without a CHP, I have to unload & seperate where I store the gun/ammo in my vehicle every time, so I seem kinda' foolish every time I stop somewhere. So...........it's a CHP so I can carry it loaded in my car. And then, with a CHP, why OC into the Sheetz & announce my status to the BGs?

Therefore, I've decided that the most prudent decision for is to spend the $$ on a CHP.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UtzChips View Post
    Do you ever OC with that puppy when runnin' around town? Reason I ask is: If you go into Sheetz/7-11 at 10PM & BGs roll in & say "stick 'em up!" and they notice you back in the beer cooler with that BIG gun on your side & start shootin' at you............. whatz your estimate on your reload time then? 60 secs? =)

I live 3/4 of a mile from a Sheetz that has to shutdown Fri/Sat night @ 2am because of all the violence that has occurred due to the morons rollin' in from the strip clubs & bars. So when I roll in there at 1am, to purchase whatever it is that just can't wait to be purchased until the mornin', I scan the scene from my car once I park & if I feel the need, I load, holster & shop.........otherwise, my puppy lays and waits in the car.

If the crowd is large & menacing I'll take a 1 mile ride up to the next Sheetz. =) Getting into a confrontation and/or having to shoot someone while I OC, is not on my bucket list!

I would OC on a fairly regular basis if I could keep the gun loaded in the car, since when I'm out it's usually after 9pm. However, without a CHP, I have to unload & seperate where I store the gun/ammo in my vehicle every time, so I seem kinda' foolish every time I stop somewhere. So...........it's a CHP so I can carry it loaded in my car. And then, with a CHP, why OC into the Sheetz & announce my status to the BGs?

Therefore, I've decided that the most prudent decision for is to spend the $$ on a CHP.
    Please cite where an OCer has ever been premptively taken out by a BG in the course of a robbery anywhere in the USA in modern times - security and LEOs excepted.

"Announcing" your status has been convincingly shown to deter crime, stop attacks before they occur and generally provide for your well being.

You would seem to be more of an anti OCer - and on an OC site too.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Please cite where an OCer has ever been premptively taken out by a BG in the course of a robbery anywhere in the USA in modern times - security and LEOs excepted.

"Announcing" your status has been convincingly shown to deter crime, stop attacks before they occur and generally provide for your well being.

And let's not forget the OCer that stopped a crime with a SA revolver, I believe it happened in Virginia.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    And let's not forget the OCer that stopped a crime with a SA revolver, I believe it happened in Virginia.
    Golden Market on Jefferson Davis Hwy in Richmond.

BG walked right by the Ocer to shoot the owner. OCer engaged and saved the lives of others. BG was DOA.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by cbpeck View Post
    Does anybody OC a large framed revolver?....
    I routinely carry a 4" S&W 625 in .45 in Milt Sparks shark skin.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

...otherwise, my puppy lays and waits in the car...
    If I ever make it to the car for a weapon, I won't be grabbing a handgun. Handguns are defensive sidearms. They are to get you out of a fight you didn't see coming.
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-23-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

...spend the $$ on a CHP.
    Government loves you.

Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    SNIP...Capacity, well, it is a revolver. I however feel confident with my ability to alleviate a "civilian" encounter with my two pistols. If the zombies come, I would break out my Hi-Cap 9mm CZ-75, AK-47 Battle Rifle with a ton of mags for both, and my very sharp Katana that never runs outa ammo.

Zombies Fear me!

Bat
    A high-capacity CZ 75B? You mean one whos magazine holds more than the standard 16+1 rounds?
    And what constitutes "high-capacity"?
    Other than that, all this talk of revolvers is making me want what I can't afford yet (either guns or tuition; tuition JUST BARELY won out)

SNIPPED...I live 3/4 of a mile from a Sheetz that has to shutdown Fri/Sat night @ 2am because of all the violence that has occurred due to the morons rollin' in from the strip clubs & bars. So when I roll in there at 1am, to purchase whatever it is that just can't wait to be purchased until the mornin', I scan the scene from my car once I park & if I feel the need, I load, holster & shop.........otherwise, my puppy lays and waits in the car...SNIPPED.
    I guess I'm a chicken, if I think I'll need my pistol somewhere, I am not going in.

I carry everywhere I can legally and really hope to never use it. I would not go to a place where I thought there was a good chance a shooting would break out.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    If I ever make it to the car for a weapon, I won't be grabbing a handgun. Handguns are defensive sidearms. They are to get you out of a fight you didn't see coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by ron73440 View Post
    I guess I'm a chicken, if I think I'll need my pistol somewhere, I am not going in.

I carry everywhere I can legally and really hope to never use it. I would not go to a place where I thought there was a good chance a shooting would break out.
    +1 to both. Handguns are there to help you get to your rifle, and the only thing your rifle is there for is to help you get out of there alive. After all, if you were EXPECTING trouble there, your best defense by far would likely be to not be there at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi
    "Sometimes the best defense is no be there."
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 09-23-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Careful what you say! You may end up getting the same "scolding/accusation" from Grapeshot that I did, despite all your posts and length of membership here: Grapeshot : "You would seem to be more of an anti OCer - and on an OC site too."

In my original post to the person with the cool cylinder gun, I couldn't help but chuckle. A really nice gun that I'd like to have, however, I couldn't pass on the chance of making a facetious reply.

ATTENTION: Posters be Advised: UtzChips loves to be the "class clown" so don't take my posts, or replies to yours in the wrong context.

Careful what you say! You may end up getting the same "scolding/accusation" from Grapeshot that I did, despite all your posts and length of membership here: Grapeshot : "You would seem to be more of an anti OCer - and on an OC site too."
    --snipped--
    Ron73440 - you would never be viewed as a chicken for exercising good judgement. Your thoughts and reasons are held in high regard.

UtzChips - if I scolded you it was either for violation of the forum rules or the basic tenets of OC as expressed by OCDO.

To even suggest that I might be anti OC is ludicrous, preposterous, and borders on personally insulting.

Grapes, I read my post you're responding to AGAIN & I'm sorry, but I just don't see how one could interpret it any other way other than it being my personal decision of what I've decided is best for me. I do not believe that I have an responsibility to my community to act as "deterrent" to BGs because, unlike a cat, I only have one life.

So, during the summer, when it's not advantageous to CW, I OC when I carry. I'm just picky as to when & where. In the situation of driving up to Sheetz at 1am and seeing a crowd of rowdies inside, who look as though they could be liquored up & menacing, I don't feel a responsibility to go in there "OCing" in an attempt to deter any illegal action.

Now if I spotted her: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...of-open-carry/ walkin' in, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going 2b OCing when I go in!. In a case like that, I'd be breaking my "right to a long life" principal. =)

However, I would make an attempt to determine if she was wearing a wedding ring, because that would defeat the purpose. =(
    Last edited by UtzChips; 09-25-2013 at 04:33 AM. Reason: repair url link

Ron73440 - you would never be viewed as a chicken for exercising good judgement. Your thoughts and reasons are held in high regard.
    So why weren't mine? I expressed the exact same position.

UtzChips - To even suggest that I might be anti OC is ludicrous, preposterous, and borders on personally insulting.
    Why do you think I made such an accusation? Is it because I quoted to Ron what you said to me in a previous reply to one of my earlier posts: [Grapes statement to me: "You would seem to be more of an anti OCer - and on an OC site too."]

You got confused by my post to Ron, no?
    Last edited by UtzChips; 09-25-2013 at 04:44 AM. Reason: remove the "i" I inadvertently put at the end of "position" & further editing in the hopes I don't confuse Grapes again.

Grapes, I read my post you're responding to AGAIN & I'm sorry, but I just don't see how one could interpret it any other way other than it being my personal decision of what I've decided is best for me. I do not believe that I have an responsibility to my community to act as "deterrent" to BGs because, unlike a cat, I only have one life.

So, during the summer, when it's not advantageous to CW, I OC when I carry. I'm just picky as to when & where. In the situation of driving up to Sheetz at 1am and seeing a crowd of rowdies inside, who look as though they could be liquored up & menacing, I don't feel a responsibility to go in there "OCing" in an attempt to deter any illegal action.

Now if I spotted her: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...of-open-carry/ walkin' in, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going 2b OCing when I go in!. In a case like that, I'd be breaking my "right to a long life" principal. =)

However, I would make an attempt to determine if she was wearing a wedding ring, because that would defeat the purpose. =(
    Of course how anyone carries is their own personal decision.

If I recall correctly, you made a reference to being the first one taken out if OCing and I asked you for a cite supporting that position. That is hardly a scolding or accusation of any type. No I don't support/recommend going anywhere that has obvious warnings of a bad place to be, but I also don't support false reasoning for not OCing either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast