• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC a Large Revolver?

cbpeck

Does anybody OC a large framed revolver?

I have a 1960 S&W Model 27 (N frame .357) with a 5" barrel that spends too much time in the safe. Its a gorgeous gun and I'd love to carry it from time to time, but the thought of carrying an N frame revolver seems absurd... its just plain heavy, especially for only 6 rounds!

If you carry an N frame or equivalent sized wheel gun I'd like to hear about your experiences. Is the weight or bulk ever an issue? How about capacity? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FYI, I usually carry an XD 40 Subcompact or a Kimber Custom CDP II.

Batousaii

Love Revolvers.

Yeap, i carry a large frame revolver in the summer time. To be exact, I carry an Old model Ruger Vaquero with a 4.5" barrel in .45 Colt. It gets slung in a drop loop, and is actually very comfortable to wear for long durations, bulk isn't an issue with a comfortable rig. It looks pretty and packs a heck of a wallop is ever needed, however single action revolvers are slow to reload so i carry a small backup. Capacity, well, it is a revolver. I however feel confident with my ability to alleviate a "civilian" encounter with my two pistols. If the zombies come, I would break out my Hi-Cap 9mm CZ-75, AK-47 Battle Rifle with a ton of mags for both, and my very sharp Katana that never runs outa ammo.

Zombies Fear me!

:dude: Bat

Attachments

• 222-Starbucks_Guns.jpg
    222-Starbucks_Guns.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,366
  • TA-38 R.jpg
    TA-38 R.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 776
Last edited:

Maverick9110e

I OC my S&W K frame 14-4 with a 6" barrel almost daily. The weight is noticeable but it's not bothersome. I carry a speed loader with an aditional 6 rounds in my pocket. I'll be picking up a semi auto in about 3 weeks but i'll still carry this from time to time as it does make more of a statement if you will for OC. Such as at OC meetups and such. Took some quick picutres for you as well. The holster is just a chepo nylon one from the Local gun shop. Speedloader is an HKS.

imag0073o.jpg

imag0075c.jpg

imag0076oy.jpg

Thos.Jefferson

I carry an 1858 Remington copy with a spare cylinder. With practice I have become skilled enough to reload in under 6 seconds. It's overall length is 14 inches with an 8 inch bbl. and she weighs in at about 40 oz. and I LOVE IT!! Extremely accurate and it has a certain beauty to it that modern firearms just do not have.

Attachments

• pistol.jpg
    pistol.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 220

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've OC'd a wooden-handled Ruger Redhawk .44 with magnum JHP loads in an old-style leather holster... Beautiful firearm! Feels like you're trying to hand-catch cannon fire every time you pull the trigger, though.

When I lived in Washington State, I CC'd that puppy, both around town and while deer hunting, using a cross-chest carry rig that accomodated its scope.

I prefer my 9mm. 17 rounds vs 6 (33 vs 12, if you count reloading).

I carry an 1858 Remington copy with a spare cylinder. With practice I have become skilled enough to reload in under 6 seconds. It's overall length is 14 inches with an 8 inch bbl. and she weighs in at about 40 oz. and I LOVE IT!! Extremely accurate and it has a certain beauty to it that modern firearms just do not have.

Beautiful firearm! I keep forgetting about my .44 cap and ball black powder revolver.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
I'm prohibited from carrying a gun, but if I were t carry I'd chose a smith and wesson 500, carry some 600 grain ammo along with a coupe of speed loaders.

revolverssmithgrouppic.jpg

Butch00

From time to time I carry a S&W 610, 10mm 5"
I have no problem with it, and have 4 loaded full moon clips ,
so I have a total of 30 rds.

gnostic_rev

Oc s&w 629/6"

I open carry my Smith & Wesson 629 with 6" barrel (loaded with 180 gr JHP .44 Special) in a Blackhawk hip holster consistently (only gun I own). I also carry two speedloaders in a belt holster. It is a bit heavy but I find it comforting. It also helps me never forget that I am carrying and helps me maintain situational awareness. And if I ever need to use it the liklihood of the bad guy getting up again are close to 0%.

UtzChips

Do you ever OC with that puppy when runnin' around town? Reason I ask is: If you go into Sheetz/7-11 at 10PM & BGs roll in & say "stick 'em up!" and they notice you back in the beer cooler with that BIG gun on your side & start shootin' at you............. whatz your estimate on your reload time then? 60 secs? =)

I live 3/4 of a mile from a Sheetz that has to shutdown Fri/Sat night @ 2am because of all the violence that has occurred due to the morons rollin' in from the strip clubs & bars. So when I roll in there at 1am, to purchase whatever it is that just can't wait to be purchased until the mornin', I scan the scene from my car once I park & if I feel the need, I load, holster & shop.........otherwise, my puppy lays and waits in the car.

If the crowd is large & menacing I'll take a 1 mile ride up to the next Sheetz. =) Getting into a confrontation and/or having to shoot someone while I OC, is not on my bucket list!

I would OC on a fairly regular basis if I could keep the gun loaded in the car, since when I'm out it's usually after 9pm. However, without a CHP, I have to unload & seperate where I store the gun/ammo in my vehicle every time, so I seem kinda' foolish every time I stop somewhere. So...........it's a CHP so I can carry it loaded in my car. And then, with a CHP, why OC into the Sheetz & announce my status to the BGs?

Therefore, I've decided that the most prudent decision for is to spend the $$ on a CHP.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do you ever OC with that puppy when runnin' around town? Reason I ask is: If you go into Sheetz/7-11 at 10PM & BGs roll in & say "stick 'em up!" and they notice you back in the beer cooler with that BIG gun on your side & start shootin' at you............. whatz your estimate on your reload time then? 60 secs? =)

I live 3/4 of a mile from a Sheetz that has to shutdown Fri/Sat night @ 2am because of all the violence that has occurred due to the morons rollin' in from the strip clubs & bars. So when I roll in there at 1am, to purchase whatever it is that just can't wait to be purchased until the mornin', I scan the scene from my car once I park & if I feel the need, I load, holster & shop.........otherwise, my puppy lays and waits in the car.

If the crowd is large & menacing I'll take a 1 mile ride up to the next Sheetz. =) Getting into a confrontation and/or having to shoot someone while I OC, is not on my bucket list!

I would OC on a fairly regular basis if I could keep the gun loaded in the car, since when I'm out it's usually after 9pm. However, without a CHP, I have to unload & seperate where I store the gun/ammo in my vehicle every time, so I seem kinda' foolish every time I stop somewhere. So...........it's a CHP so I can carry it loaded in my car. And then, with a CHP, why OC into the Sheetz & announce my status to the BGs?

Therefore, I've decided that the most prudent decision for is to spend the $$ on a CHP.

Please cite where an OCer has ever been premptively taken out by a BG in the course of a robbery anywhere in the USA in modern times - security and LEOs excepted.

"Announcing" your status has been convincingly shown to deter crime, stop attacks before they occur and generally provide for your well being.

You would seem to be more of an anti OCer - and on an OC site too. :(

WalkingWolf

Please cite where an OCer has ever been premptively taken out by a BG in the course of a robbery anywhere in the USA in modern times - security and LEOs excepted.

"Announcing" your status has been convincingly shown to deter crime, stop attacks before they occur and generally provide for your well being.

You would seem to be more of an anti OCer - and on an OC site too. :(

And let's not forget the OCer that stopped a crime with a SA revolver, I believe it happened in Virginia.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And let's not forget the OCer that stopped a crime with a SA revolver, I believe it happened in Virginia.
Golden Market on Jefferson Davis Hwy in Richmond.

BG walked right by the Ocer to shoot the owner. OCer engaged and saved the lives of others. BG was DOA.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...otherwise, my puppy lays and waits in the car...

If I ever make it to the car for a weapon, I won't be grabbing a handgun. Handguns are defensive sidearms. They are to get you out of a fight you didn't see coming.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...Capacity, well, it is a revolver. I however feel confident with my ability to alleviate a "civilian" encounter with my two pistols. If the zombies come, I would break out my Hi-Cap 9mm CZ-75, AK-47 Battle Rifle with a ton of mags for both, and my very sharp Katana that never runs outa ammo.

Zombies Fear me!

:dude: Bat

A high-capacity CZ 75B? You mean one whos magazine holds more than the standard 16+1 rounds?:)
And what constitutes "high-capacity"?
Other than that, all this talk of revolvers is making me want what I can't afford yet (either guns or tuition; tuition JUST BARELY won out:p)

ron73440

SNIPPED...I live 3/4 of a mile from a Sheetz that has to shutdown Fri/Sat night @ 2am because of all the violence that has occurred due to the morons rollin' in from the strip clubs & bars. So when I roll in there at 1am, to purchase whatever it is that just can't wait to be purchased until the mornin', I scan the scene from my car once I park & if I feel the need, I load, holster & shop.........otherwise, my puppy lays and waits in the car...SNIPPED.

I guess I'm a chicken, if I think I'll need my pistol somewhere, I am not going in.

I carry everywhere I can legally and really hope to never use it. I would not go to a place where I thought there was a good chance a shooting would break out.

Rusty Young Man

If I ever make it to the car for a weapon, I won't be grabbing a handgun. Handguns are defensive sidearms. They are to get you out of a fight you didn't see coming.

I guess I'm a chicken, if I think I'll need my pistol somewhere, I am not going in.

I carry everywhere I can legally and really hope to never use it. I would not go to a place where I thought there was a good chance a shooting would break out.

+1 to both. Handguns are there to help you get to your rifle, and the only thing your rifle is there for is to help you get out of there alive. After all, if you were EXPECTING trouble there, your best defense by far would likely be to not be there at all.
Mr. Miyagi said:
"Sometimes the best defense is no be there."

Last edited: