Thread: Norfolk scope question

Post Norfolk Scope & Churches 18.2-283

I know you can carry at the gun showes at Norfolk Scope, but can you carry inside the main building?

I also am trying to figure this code out, "to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place " if I went the the Norfolk scope, next year they have winter jam 2011. Would I break this law? It's not at a Church its at the Scope, but its a christian concert so I do not know if that applys????? can a place of religious worship not be at a church? I would think it applys to churches only............ but then again the WORD "SUCH PLACE" which defines as what? any where a church, event is meeting?

IT is tricky, It says to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place while a meeting for religious purposes is being held, is a concert defined as meeting purposes? and does the Scope fall under "SUCH PLACE"

18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

I think its a No no, but I want to find out. I do not want to go if I can not carry, anit leaving it in the car at the scope thats a very bad idea.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 11-02-2010 at 08:28 PM.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    The Scope is owned by the City of Norfolk, IIRC so pre-emption applies and carrying is good to go.

as far as a religious event being held there, I dont feel that the event you mentioned meets the definition of a "place of worship" and even then, you have the "good and sufficient reason" exemption. I wouldn't worry, if it were me.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    The Scope is owned by the City of Norfolk, IIRC so pre-emption applies and carrying is good to go.

as far as a religious event being held there, I dont feel that the event you mentioned meets the definition of a "place of worship" and even then, you have the "good and sufficient reason" exemption. I wouldn't worry, if it were me.
    I really wish that law would go away, "good and sufficient reason" well google church shoots. I hope it changes next year.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    I really wish that law would go away, "good and sufficient reason" well google church shoots. I hope it changes next year.
    That is on the radar screen for this year.. are you a VCDL member?
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    That is on the radar screen for this year.. are you a VCDL member?
    Yes Ed

The one time I was at a gun show at the Scope, carry was permitted...

BUT...

You had to check your mag at the door, and get the weapon strapped/wire-tied.

Maybe it was specific to the organizers, but was still unusual.

Hardly what I would call 'carry-friendly'.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Unless the venue/lessee takes a negative position.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    The one time I was at a gun show at the Scope, carry was permitted...

BUT...

You had to check your mag at the door, and get the weapon strapped/wire-tied.

Maybe it was specific to the organizers, but was still unusual.

Hardly what I would call 'carry-friendly'.
    guns being tied is pretty much standard practice for gun shows. Checking mags? just pocket it next time when you unload your gun BEFORE leaving your vehicle to head to the show entrance.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I've heard that some people even zip tie their own.....with a look alike, quick release.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I've heard that some people even zip tie their own.....with a look alike, quick release.
    I do it all the time