• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norfolk scope question

ocholsteroc

Norfolk Scope & Churches 18.2-283

I know you can carry at the gun showes at Norfolk Scope, but can you carry inside the main building?

I also am trying to figure this code out, "to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place " if I went the the Norfolk scope, next year they have winter jam 2011. Would I break this law? It's not at a Church its at the Scope, but its a christian concert so I do not know if that applys????? can a place of religious worship not be at a church? I would think it applys to churches only............:uhoh: but then again the WORD "SUCH PLACE" which defines as what? any where a church, event is meeting?

IT is tricky, It says to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place while a meeting for religious purposes is being held, is a concert defined as meeting purposes? and does the Scope fall under "SUCH PLACE"

§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

I think its a No no, but I want to find out. I do not want to go if I can not carry, anit leaving it in the car at the scope thats a very bad idea.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
The Scope is owned by the City of Norfolk, IIRC so pre-emption applies and carrying is good to go.

as far as a religious event being held there, I dont feel that the event you mentioned meets the definition of a "place of worship" and even then, you have the "good and sufficient reason" exemption. I wouldn't worry, if it were me.

ocholsteroc

The Scope is owned by the City of Norfolk, IIRC so pre-emption applies and carrying is good to go.

as far as a religious event being held there, I dont feel that the event you mentioned meets the definition of a "place of worship" and even then, you have the "good and sufficient reason" exemption. I wouldn't worry, if it were me.

I really wish that law would go away, "good and sufficient reason" well google church shoots. I hope it changes next year.

Mr H

The one time I was at a gun show at the Scope, carry was permitted...

BUT...

You had to check your mag at the door, and get the weapon strapped/wire-tied.

Maybe it was specific to the organizers, but was still unusual.

Hardly what I would call 'carry-friendly'.

nova

The one time I was at a gun show at the Scope, carry was permitted...

BUT...

You had to check your mag at the door, and get the weapon strapped/wire-tied.

Maybe it was specific to the organizers, but was still unusual.

Hardly what I would call 'carry-friendly'.

guns being tied is pretty much standard practice for gun shows. Checking mags? just pocket it next time when you unload your gun BEFORE leaving your vehicle to head to the show entrance.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've heard that some people even zip tie their own.....with a look alike, quick release. :uhoh: