Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loaded or unloaded during OC?

Loaded or unloaded during OC?

This may sound like a dumb question, sorry. I have a 9mm and was just wondering while OCing can I put a clip in the gun and put a bullet in the chamber? I feel like I shouldn't put a bullet in the chamber for safety reasons...any input would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by The Godather View Post
    This may sound like a dumb question, sorry. I have a 9mm and was just wondering while OCing can I put a clip in the gun and put a bullet in the chamber? I feel like I shouldn't put a bullet in the chamber for safety reasons...any input would be appreciated.
    Yes, full magazine and one in the tube. Other wise all you have is something to throw at the bad guy.
    I know it's dumb that we have to load and unload many times a day, but currently that's the only option we have.

Some users carry with just a full Magazine and others locked and loaded. (personal preference with either)

If you've not done this much, you might want to practice at home a few times before doing it in public.
    Also remember to do this in a method that doesn't scare the sheep.

JJC
    Last edited by JJC; 11-02-2010 at 09:42 PM.

loaded or unloaded during OC?

Thanks for the input...

I OC with my pistol loaded but not with one in the chamber, I look at it this way, if for whatever reason my pistol was taken from my control the bad guy would to to get a round into the chamber which would give me an extra second to get away or regain control. I also like to think its another obstacle that the cops would have to overcome to prove I was a threat while in public.

I go about loading by first pulling my gun from the case and holstering it then sliding the clip in so that I dont give the impression I am about to go into a place looking to cause problems.

loaded or unloaded during OC?

Thats a good point of view...Thanks.

Loaded or unloaded is up to you, whatever you feel more comfortable with. As for myself I feel an unloaded sidearm is useless. If I am in a situation where I need to protect myself or someone around me I feel like I will have enough to wory about and trying to remember to load my sidearm is one distraction that I don't need in a high stress situation.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Loaded out in public, unloaded at home. I figure I have a bit of extra time to rack the slide if someone is breaking into my house. I'm not scared, I just don't like the striker spring under pressure all of the time.

I'm not trying to be rude, but clips are something you hang clothes from. Magazines are what holds bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Terkeytoes View Post
    I OC with my pistol loaded but not with one in the chamber, I look at it this way, if for whatever reason my pistol was taken from my control the bad guy would to to get a round into the chamber which would give me an extra second to get away or regain control. I also like to think its another obstacle that the cops would have to overcome to prove I was a threat while in public.

I go about loading by first pulling my gun from the case and holstering it then sliding the clip in so that I dont give the impression I am about to go into a place looking to cause problems.
    Although it is a personal preference, My advice would be to take retention training. Also, I cant find very many cases where a BG tried to grab an OCer's gun. I carry my 1911 locked and cocked with the safety on. One small thumb movement making the difference in whether I go home or end up in a casket.

Quote Originally Posted by COMMANDER1911 View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude, but clips are something you hang clothes from. Magazines are what holds bullets
    Unless you're talking about a M1 Garand. It takes an eight-round clip. :-))

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Magazines hold cartridges. No need for the lecture..

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    Magazines hold cartridges. No need for the lecture..
    And what are in cartridges?? Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Unless you're talking about a M1 Garand. It takes an eight-round clip. :-))
    LOL when I read the OP, I just assumed he wasn't talking about OCing a Garand.

I want to carry a revolver for ease of loading and unloading.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

What about revolvers?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    What about revolvers?
    Moon clips.

Clips and magazine both hold ammo. It simply depends on the firearm.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Quote Originally Posted by The Godather View Post
    Maybe you would be so kind as to explain the "safety reasons?"
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    I want to carry a revolver for ease of loading and unloading.
    ??? How is loading and unloading a revolver easier than semi-auto? I've had both and I would say the semi is much easier and quicker to un/load.

I think auto loaders have the advantage but moon clips do make a race of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw

and thats why I love my 625

Quote Originally Posted by Canard View Post
    ??? How is loading and unloading a revolver easier than semi-auto? I've had both and I would say the semi is much easier and quicker to un/load.
    Not with one in the chamber for unloading. Revolver: just flip out the cylinder and dump out the rounds. Semi Auto: release mag and then rack slide to eject chambered round, then decock hammer where appropriate.

Loading with moon clips or speed loaders is fairly quick too.
    Last edited by oak1971; 11-03-2010 at 01:36 AM.

This is my opinion- many of you will probably disagree.

If you are uncomfortable with carrying a loaded firearm- you need more training. Familiarize yourself with your firearm, create muscle memory through practice practice practice, and carry often.

skorittnig
    skorittnig

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

I have regularly carried a a 1911 in full size or Commander for some twenty years, one way or another. From the very first time I holstered a gun, I have carried with one in the chamber, cocked, locked and ready to rock...

My first gun back in the early seventies, was a revolver and I carried that with the hammer down on an empty chamber I squeezed the trigger and it fired. Not so much a worry with modern guns. I never once was scared, or worried because my gun was ready to fire. It is supposed to be ready to fire. Failing that, you have an object that you can throw at the BG.

I don't advocate doing anything to handicap your ability to present your sidearm quickly and easily. The BGs have enough advantages, why would you give them one more. And a significant one at that?

JMHO

Hardballer out!
    Last edited by hardballer; 11-03-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    Not with one in the chamber for unloading. Revolver: just flip out the cylinder and dump out the rounds. Semi Auto: release mag and then rack slide to eject chambered round, then decock hammer where appropriate.

Loading with moon clips or speed loaders is fairly quick too.
    I see your argument with moonclips but speedloader no. A speedloader is only good for your first stop then you have to reload the speed loader.

Carry with one in the pipe. If, God forbid, you find yourself having to un-holster your firearm then chances are the situation may not allow for the chambering of a round.

If you fear being dis-armed them take the advice already given; learn and practice gun retention.

Use an active rentention holster!

If you fear that your gun will "go off" get comfortable with your gun or get a gun you trust.

Remember: the split second it takes to chamber a round may be the last thing you ever do.

Get comfortable, carry always.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast