• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded or unloaded during OC?

oak1971

??? How is loading and unloading a revolver easier than semi-auto? I've had both and I would say the semi is much easier and quicker to un/load.

Not with one in the chamber for unloading. Revolver: just flip out the cylinder and dump out the rounds. Semi Auto: release mag and then rack slide to eject chambered round, then decock hammer where appropriate.

Loading with moon clips or speed loaders is fairly quick too.

Last edited:

skorittnig

This is my opinion- many of you will probably disagree.

If you are uncomfortable with carrying a loaded firearm- you need more training. Familiarize yourself with your firearm, create muscle memory through practice practice practice, and carry often.

skorittnig

hardballer

I have regularly carried a a 1911 in full size or Commander for some twenty years, one way or another. From the very first time I holstered a gun, I have carried with one in the chamber, cocked, locked and ready to rock...

My first gun back in the early seventies, was a revolver and I carried that with the hammer down on an empty chamber I squeezed the trigger and it fired. Not so much a worry with modern guns. I never once was scared, or worried because my gun was ready to fire. It is supposed to be ready to fire. Failing that, you have an object that you can throw at the BG.

I don't advocate doing anything to handicap your ability to present your sidearm quickly and easily. The BGs have enough advantages, why would you give them one more. And a significant one at that?

JMHO

Hardballer out!

Last edited:

Canard

Not with one in the chamber for unloading. Revolver: just flip out the cylinder and dump out the rounds. Semi Auto: release mag and then rack slide to eject chambered round, then decock hammer where appropriate.

Loading with moon clips or speed loaders is fairly quick too.

I see your argument with moonclips but speedloader no. A speedloader is only good for your first stop then you have to reload the speed loader.

Scooter

Carry with one in the pipe. If, God forbid, you find yourself having to un-holster your firearm then chances are the situation may not allow for the chambering of a round.

If you fear being dis-armed them take the advice already given; learn and practice gun retention.

Use an active rentention holster!

If you fear that your gun will "go off" get comfortable with your gun or get a gun you trust.

Remember: the split second it takes to chamber a round may be the last thing you ever do.

Get comfortable, carry always.

comp45acp

This is my opinion- many of you will probably disagree.

If you are uncomfortable with carrying a loaded firearm- you need more training. Familiarize yourself with your firearm, create muscle memory through practice practice practice, and carry often.

skorittnig

+1

M

McX

i carry condition 3- mag in gun, no round in the chamber. reasoning: safest way to carry, if a bad guy gets my gun, it gives me a chance to get it back while he tries to figure out why it wont go off when he pulls the trigger. then there is the 'be innocent of instigation' thing. at cond.3 it is obvious i am not trying to start something. plus advancing to condition 1 is the final warning to a threat that i am ready to defend, and it also slows the event down for me, so that i have the extra moment to confirm deadly force is necessary.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Beware of the evil paradigm of consideration, expectation, then requirement.

Oh my God! I must consider that an evil bad guy might get my gun!

My hoplophobe neighbors expect me to prevent him doing damage with my stolen gun.

Maybe the state will require that all responsible sheeple carry harmless dead weapons.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Personally I carry Israeli while OC. It's only because I don't want to have to put one in and out of the chamber all the time. AKA, it's only because of Wisconsin's silly laws. Once we get some bills passed that don't require me to unload all the time, bye bye Israeli carry.

Ruby

i carry condition 3- mag in gun, no round in the chamber. reasoning: safest way to carry, if a bad guy gets my gun, it gives me a chance to get it back while he tries to figure out why it wont go off when he pulls the trigger. then there is the 'be innocent of instigation' thing. at cond.3 it is obvious i am not trying to start something. plus advancing to condition 1 is the final warning to a threat that i am ready to defend, and it also slows the event down for me, so that i have the extra moment to confirm deadly force is necessary.

What makes you think that you'll have time to rack the slide?!? Do you have ANY idea how fast something can happen?!? It is HIGHLY unlikely that someone is going to be successful in getting your gun from you; to my knowledge, no one has reported such here on OCDO. They HAVE reported though needed to defend almost immediately. Good situational awareness should keep the BGs from getting your gun. I carry condition 1, which is the way my 1911 was made to be carried. I was involved in an incident at my gym that showed me just how fast an assault can happen; 3-4 SECONDS. You will not have time to draw and rack the slide. Good luck with that.

M

McX

my way is my way, as your way is yours. i wont defend my way, only comment on why i do what i do. the choice of 'the way' is up to each individual, and i wont comment on nor question another's way, it is their way, and i accept that.

Rbwhanson

Round in the chamber ready to defend myself and others. If you don't do that then you might as well just carry a handful of rocks...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Unloaded Open Carry just like in Kalifornistan MexifornicU

Yeah, well good luck. Now that the statist lurkers have learned about UOC being so popular in Wisconsin and in the "open carry movement" and in Kalifornistan, they will add it to their quiver of feasonable regulation (shiite, I' so mad that I invented a neologism - reasonable and feasible = feasonable).

M

McX

handful of rocks? interesting concept. i shall evaluate that one. I have carried a brick, being my hipoint .40, but few have commented on that, except for the criminals who at the sight of it (deterrent effect) became enraged and very vocal.

Interceptor_Knight

One small thumb movement making the difference in whether I go home or end up in a casket.

What makes you think that you'll have time to rack the slide?!? Do you have ANY idea how fast something can happen?!? ..... You will not have time to draw and rack the slide. Good luck with that.

You may still end up in a casket because of your decision to draw and fire. Incoming fire has the right of way. If your primary concern is not cover and concealment, you are just another target. If you do not have time to chamber a round, odds are that you are already taking fire and it is already too late. No Quickdraw McGraw skills will help you.

M

McX

You may still end up in a casket because of your decision to draw and fire. Incoming fire has the right of way. If your primary concern is not cover and concealment, you are just another target. If you do not have time to chamber a round, odds are that you are already taking fire and it is already too late. No Quickdraw McGraw skills will help you.

Thank you Knight who intercepts. and not to seem ignorant, but what is UOC? I get the OC part, just not the U.

oak1971

I see your argument with moonclips but speedloader no. A speedloader is only good for your first stop then you have to reload the speed loader.

That's why you have 3 speed loaders. One to initially load the weapon and two more on your belt, ready to go.