• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No License Concealed Carry in Kentucky????

boomer92266

I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!

i hope this bill passes here, the other 3 states that allow cc without a permit don't seem to have any trouble with yahoo's carrying. and i believe most kentucky gun owners will abide by the law, you can't punish everyone for one persons stupidity. and not just anyone can do this, just the ones that can legally buy and carry can do it. if your a criminal or a convicted felon you can't carry legal.

Ivan Sample

M1gunr-

Yes I meant with out the proper training and yes I know that we have alot of people open carrying a gun and maybe they shouldn't, only time will tell that. But to conceal carrying a gun I think needs the training on serveral aspects. Yes I know that the training that you get in class is not sufficient enough but its a start. If people going to carry a gun they should continue to train after the class and even if they are open carrying. Yes and no disrespect to you but we can agree to disagree. Plus it was just my opinion and it really means nothing anyway. Take care!

Last edited:

Ivan Sample

Tribunal Powers/boomer 92266-

First of all lets get one thing straight before I go on answering your ranting and raving. All I was doing was putting in my two cents. My opinion really don't carried any weight in here because I am responsible for myself. Plus why are you going off the deep end over an opinion that I posted here. One thing I see from you is that maybe you shouldn't be carrying any thing less longer a gun on your belt. You see your words or actions speak for themselves and everybody in here is seeing you make a fool out of yourself. You can agree to disagree-SERIOUSLY this is just a forum where people are allow to speak free as long as they don't break the rules of the board, which I respect. Secondly, my training was not a two day course where I put eleven rounds out of twenty into a sheet of paper or target. I went through a week course where we shot in dime light, kneeling, weak hand, tatical reload, and fifty rounds and do I need to keep going on with my training beside studying the law and when and when not to shoot. I realized that not everyone goes through that type of training. But damn if you going to buy a gun PLEASE LEARN HOW TO SHOOT IT AND KNOW THE LAW FOR YOUR AREA. IF I insulted your intelligence-GOOD because you need a wake up call, cuz you are not getting it. Be careful what you say and who you say it to. I just know this I am further pass the BS that goes on in here. Plus I can admit when I wrong-there has been time when members in here call me out and they were right! but you are totally wrong. You have a good day and maybe you will learn how to shoot what you carrying!

Tribunal Powers I did a little research from your post about getting your CCDW-I see that you went through the class and got some training in firearms but was it enough to keep your big mouth shut. You stated in your earlier post that you didn't have any training or something to that effect. So not only did you lie but you open up a can that you shouldn't have. Well you learn something new every time you visit this board!

Last edited:

ManInBlack

As for the bill. The gentleman from Danville has gotten this written up to "allow those that are considered low-income to be able to defend themselves", as he put it. Personally, I don't see this point as truly being a valid one for passing this bill into law. Like someone else had written here, Kentucky has OC available to those that can't afford or just don't wish to carry concealed.

Greater (raw, not per capita) numbers of low-income people live in cities than in the country, places in which open carry is likely to be more difficult due to unfortunate political circumstances. While it is clearly not right, you would, in effect, consign poor people to being jacked up by police officers who are not aware of the laws they are sworn to uphold. As for those who do not possess concealed carry permits due to choice and not financial circumstances, believe me, they do wish to carry concealed. They wish to carry according to their choice, based on the conditions they find themselves in. In short, they wish to be allowed to "bear arms" as stated in the Constitution, but are not permitted to by unconstitutional laws.

I fear that this might only work to weaken the rep that the CCDW has come to signify.
I am disappointed that you are concerned about losing some kind of "rep" that you feel you derive from a government-issued piece of paper-and-laminate. With whom do you deal that you feel you gain a benefit by having a certain "reputation" that you claim goes with a CCW? The general public? They're Americans just like you are; to think otherwise is to be kindred to the police officers and military in this country who feel that they are a privileged castes, "sheepdogs," if you will, destined to rule over and guide the helpless serfs. How about fellow open carriers? Your government "mother may I" card won't buy no whiskey in my circles, that's for sure. Finally, if you desire "rep" to facilitate your interactions with law enforcement, let me remind you that those who work for us have no business treating their masters like criminals for exercising their inalienable rights, the very same ones that we supposedly pay the police to protect!

I can't say that the class alone makes for a better concealed carrier, it does make for a more informed one though. I fear that if this bill becomes law, we will have alot of folks out there carrying that have never handled a firearm in there lives, some that might not even know ANYTHING about carrying concealed.
Where in the Constitution does it say that one must be informed to exercise their inalienable rights. Should you have to take a government-mandated class on "responsible journalism" to publish a blog or print leaflets at home? Should you have to take a government-mandated class on "religious extremism" (focusing in on that of the "right-wing" variety, of course) before you can attend church?

Furthermore, is there anything fundamentally different about "alot of folks out there carrying that have never handled a firearm in there [sic] lives" when the weapon is concealed from when it is openly carried? If you are worried about ignorant people that your beloved government hasn't vetted to its satisfaction running amok with guns, why do you post to a site that advocates the unlicensed carrying of firearms?

All it will take is one or many a couple shootings by paniced carriers that were allowed to carry concealed under this new thing and then those of us that have actually taken the class, done our range work and then gone on to study and even train above and beyond, to lose the CCDW. Maybe these fears are unfounded but are we really willing to play "russian roulette" with our licenses?
This hasn't happened in Alaska, Arizona or Vermont, states that currently have constitutional carry. This didn't happen (at least not on any kind of a regular basis) for the 150 years or so in which there were no weapons laws anywhere in this country. Are you really that fearful of your fellow Kentuckians that you believe your state will buck the trend?

It was also mentioned somewhere that this new bill, if passed into law would only allow these folks to carry concealed within kentucky, it would NOT be honoured anywhere outside Kentucky like our current CCDW is. I can not find where I read this though.
This is also the case in the states that have constitutional carry; only Vermont does not issue a permit of any kind to those who wish to have reciprocity with other states. Out here in the west, it's not that big of a deal, because all states other than Commiefornia have open carry. Either way, just because the state of affairs is such does not mean that it always must be so. Our eventual goal should be 100% constitutional carry everywhere in the country.

My personal thought, we need to keep everything as it is. If it's not broken, why try to fix it? *LOL*
I think you will find that the majority of posters on this site seek a return to the traditional American, constitutional values that once made this the greatest, and most importantly, freest nation on earth. The status quo is somewhat of an anathema. If you must ask for governmental permission to carry out an activity, it is no longer a right, but a limited privilege. The American/traditional liberal perspective is that individual rights are inalienable; they preexist this government and every government. In fact, the purpose of government is to protect those rights. What you are advocating is the western European model, in which "rights" are actually privileges, derived from the state itself and its almighty benevolence, revocable at any time and only to be granted when it is also in the interests of the collective.

P.S.: I almost forgot; the biggest logical fallacy of your argument is that criminals, already breaking or seeking to break other laws, will not worry about obtaining a concealed weapons permit or will be legally barred. So, those of you who get on your knees, kiss the dirt, render unto Caesar, and beg the government to pretty please allow you to carry concealed are being laughed at by the criminal element for being suckers. Quite frankly, they're right.

Last edited:

Tribunal Power

Tribunal Powers/boomer 92266-

First of all lets get one thing straight before I go on answering your ranting and raving. All I was doing was putting in my two cents. My opinion really don't carried any weight in here because I am responsible for myself. Plus why are you going off the deep end over an opinion that I posted here. One thing I see from you is that maybe you shouldn't be carrying any thing less longer a gun on your belt. You see your words or actions speak for themselves and everybody in here is seeing you make a fool out of yourself. You can agree to disagree-SERIOUSLY this is just a forum where people are allow to speak free as long as they don't break the rules of the board, which I respect. Secondly, my training was not a two day course where I put eleven rounds out of twenty into a sheet of paper or target. I went through a week course where we shot in dime light, kneeling, weak hand, tatical reload, and fifty rounds and do I need to keep going on with my training beside studying the law and when and when not to shoot. I realized that not everyone goes through that type of training. But damn if you going to buy a gun PLEASE LEARN HOW TO SHOOT IT AND KNOW THE LAW FOR YOUR AREA. IF I insulted your intelligence-GOOD because you need a wake up call, cuz you are not getting it. Be careful what you say and who you say it to. I just know this I am further pass the BS that goes on in here. Plus I can admit when I wrong-there has been time when members in here call me out and they were right! but you are totally wrong. You have a good day and maybe you will learn how to shoot what you carrying!

Tribunal Powers I did a little research from your post about getting your CCDW-I see that you went through the class and got some training in firearms but was it enough to keep your big mouth shut. You stated in your earlier post that you didn't have any training or something to that effect. So not only did you lie but you open up a can that you shouldn't have. Well you learn something new every time you visit this board!

First of all, don't impune my accuracy based on forum posts. That's just silly.

Second of all, yes, I went through the class, and will follow the lawbook to the letter to get my lisence, because I want to CC whenever I feel it is appropriate. I don't agree with having to ask Big Brother to exercise my right, and I don't like it, but I also don't have a choice. And when I posted that post, I had not yet gone through the class-- if you're going to get picky about when this or that happened, read the dates on the post. My class was on Nov 13 as was stated in my CCDW thread, and the post in this thread was on Nov 12. Not that it matters-- I don't think 8 hours (not two days) in one class, which focuses mostly on laws, qualifies as "training".

Third of all, please don't rub your laundry list of training in my face. We're all very impressed with your paramilitary shooting career, and good for you-- it's the right thing for a gun owner to do. But I'm not here to see who the most highly-trained, semi-professional OCer on the forum is. I'm here to discuss all things guns, gleen information, and make some points-- and that's what I did. I'm sorry if I came off as being overly personal, but I get tired of people peddling the same argument over and over again when it doesn't even make any sense.

You're free to disagree with me. You're free to think I'm a jerk. You're free to keep telling yourself that that you're better than me, and that you're absolutely correct on this topic. But I'm just as free to point out the flaws in the things I see. You're also free to think I'm totally irresponsible with a firearm, and that I shouldn't be walking the streets with a loaded weapon... But that's not going to change. If you don't like people like me carrying Condition One into a Starbucks near you, then Kentucky isn't the right state for you and your family-- because people a hell of a lot worse than me walk around with guns all the time.

If you'd like to post again to get the last laugh or whatever, maybe think up some more unnecessary insults or baseless claims about my shooting capability, go right ahead. I won't dignify anything further with a response. I was not trying to start a flame war-- I was simply pointing out that the only real beef anyone had with this proposition didn't make any sense, and several others have agreed with me. I admit that I was annoyed, and that I let that show through my post a little more than I should have, and I apologize. But I have a hard time believing you have nothing better to do than debase someone on a forum, just because they disagree with you.

For what it's worth, I feel ManInBlack covered most of the same points I did, and he said it a lot better. Props, Mr. Cash (to whom I assume your username alludes). :D

Murray State Ag

quit beating this subject to the ground. you can argue one way or the other, but it will not pass. not a chance in hell. I live in far western kentucky and everyone has a gun. even out here the views on unlicensed cc are overwhelmingly NO. would not pass with our reps in state govmt.

ManInBlack

quit beating this subject to the ground. you can argue one way or the other, but it will not pass. not a chance in hell. I live in far western kentucky and everyone has a gun. even out here the views on unlicensed cc are overwhelmingly NO. would not pass with our reps in state govmt.

You have to know your eventual intended destination before you can plot a route to your objectives...

ManInBlack

Ivan, just one question; a one word answer will suffice: do you support or oppose the right of individual citizens to open carry without a government-issued license/permit/mother-may-I card?

Ivan Sample

ManInBlack--

Can you please be specific on what you want me to answer! You listed three things but that is okay. I support law abiding citizens to open carry(they should train on a regular basis) but I still stand by my opinion about CCDW. You should be trained and know the law for your area. Because I hate to say this but it happen where you get some that want to carry a gun to look tough. No disrespect to you. Plus it just my opinion which carry no weight!

ManInBlack

ManInBlack--

Can you please be specific on what you want me to answer! You listed three things but that is okay. I support law abiding citizens to open carry(they should train on a regular basis) but I still stand by my opinion about CCDW. You should be trained and know the law for your area. Because I hate to say this but it happen where you get some that want to carry a gun to look tough. No disrespect to you. Plus it just my opinion which carry no weight!

What I am asking is if you believe, like the rest of us do, that people should be able to carry a gun openly with NO REQUIRED training, certification, or anything else? If you can legally own it you can strap it on. Would you agree or disagree with that?

In other words, do you think that there is something magically different about carrying a gun with a coat over it that makes it somehow require certification from the government, or do you just believe that citizens shouldn't be able to carry a gun without a permit or government-mandated class at all?

Last edited:

Ivan Sample

ManInBlack

Do you really want me to answer your stupid questions! Well you asked and I should be glad to answer some of the dumbest question that I ever heard of. You say just because you can buy a gun, that you should be able to strap it on with no training. You make no sense on this one and if others are reading this I bet half of them will agree with me. You have to train with your weapon, damn you have to shoot it to know what it feel likes. You have to shoot it at various distance to see how the gun hits, either low or high and adjust the sights- Plus shooting at various distance also gives you practice in case you have to use your weapon in self-defense. So that you hit your intended target and not some old lady minding her own business. This is what makes this one a dumb question that I have ever answered but I have to look at where it is coming from. Those things that I mention earlier about shooting your weapon-distance and other things. Like becoming familiar with the gun that you are carrying. If you didn't know! Thats call TRAINING!

Lets move on to the next dumb question that you asked me! Or anything else-What are you talking about on this one? I don't understand and really don't want to either.

Moving on to the next one! I will not be a member of this forum if I thought that citizens shouldn't be able to OPEN CARRY-Hell, I OPEN CARRY every now and then-but I prefer to carry conceal most of the time. Thats just my preference and to each of their own on which way they choose! One more thing I did anwer your questions in my earlier post and you was not happy with my answer and decided to ask these dumb questions. REMEMBER OPINIONS ARE IN THIS FORUM-SOME ARE HELPFUL AND SOME NOT, CHOOSE WHICH ONES ARE BEST FOR YOU AND MOVE ON...PEST!

You know I refuse to anwer any more of your dumb question. My suggestion to you is to read the post through first. You sound like someone that don't know what the hell they talking about and a antigonist. I told myself that this subject was a done deal. I will do that this time and ManInBlack don't ask me no more of your stupid questions.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Wow, judging by your "command" of the English language, I'm sure you'll be up for a Nobel Prize soon, just like Comrade Obama.

I was a little unsure before, but based on your last post, I am certain that you do not fully comprehend the concept of "unlicensed open carry," and cannot distinguish between training as something that any responsible gun owner undertakes and something that cannot be required to exercise a true "right."

This forum seeks the eventual universal acceptance of unlicensed open carry; yes, that means that anyone who can own a gun should be LEGALLY ABLE to strap it on and carry it around town. That is the definition of a RIGHT: something that the government cannot infringe in any way. I doubt that many here would say that it would be wise or prudent to open carry without any sort of training, but it is not for us or the government to judge our fellow citizens in the free exercise of their rights. And, trust me, the kind of training I speak of is not what you got in your jerkoff state-sponsored CCW class.

Please get someone you trust to explain what I've written above to you in words and phrasing that you can understand. Once you do, I doubt you'll be back around here.

ManInBlack

Do you really want me to answer your stupid questions! Well you asked and I should be glad to answer some of the dumbest question that I ever heard of. You say just because you can buy a gun, that you should be able to strap it on with no training. You make no sense on this one and if others are reading this I bet half of them will agree with me. You have to train with your weapon, damn you have to shoot it to know what it feel likes. You have to shoot it at various distance to see how the gun hits, either low or high and adjust the sights- Plus shooting at various distance also gives you practice in case you have to use your weapon in self-defense. So that you hit your intended target and not some old lady minding her own business. This is what makes this one a dumb question that I have ever answered but I have to look at where it is coming from. Those things that I mention earlier about shooting your weapon-distance and other things. Like becoming familiar with the gun that you are carrying. If you didn't know! Thats call TRAINING!

Lets move on to the next dumb question that you asked me! Or anything else-What are you talking about on this one? I don't understand and really don't want to either.

Moving on to the next one! I will not be a member of this forum if I thought that citizens shouldn't be able to OPEN CARRY-Hell, I OPEN CARRY every now and then-but I prefer to carry conceal most of the time. Thats just my preference and to each of their own on which way they choose! One more thing I did anwer your questions in my earlier post and you was not happy with my answer and decided to ask these dumb questions. REMEMBER OPINIONS ARE IN THIS FORUM-SOME ARE HELPFUL AND SOME NOT, CHOOSE WHICH ONES ARE BEST FOR YOU AND MOVE ON...PEST!

You know I refuse to anwer any more of your dumb question. My suggestion to you is to read the post through first. You sound like someone that don't know what the hell they talking about and a antigonist. I told myself that this subject was a done deal. I will do that this time and ManInBlack don't ask me no more of your stupid questions.

Last edited:

langzaiguy

Dang, I'm with MiB on this one. I hate it when these threads become so emotional. Props to MiB for keeping it logical and down to earth.

Ivan's certainly right that people SHOULD train with their weapons. Everyone should know gun safety as well as tactical practice. I don't think anyone here is debating that. What is being debated is should the government MANDATE this training. My answer would be a resounding "no".

No background check or training is required for OC but there is for CC? That doesn't make sense to me. We need Constitutional Carry in KY

Tribunal Power

Dang, I'm with MiB on this one. I hate it when these threads become so emotional. Props to MiB for keeping it logical and down to earth.

Ivan's certainly right that people SHOULD train with their weapons. Everyone should know gun safety as well as tactical practice. I don't think anyone here is debating that. What is being debated is should the government MANDATE this training. My answer would be a resounding "no".

No background check or training is required for OC but there is for CC? That doesn't make sense to me. We need Constitutional Carry in KY

+1

And props again, MiB.

Last edited:

Ivan Sample

I really don't know why I am responded to this tread again but what hell. I do believe that law abiding citizens should be able to carry what ever they choose to. Do I condone the GOV'T checking in on people or keeping track. The answer is HELL NO! We must face reality and realized the GOV'T is going to do what ever the HELL they want. That's a proven fact. Do I wish that we all could carry concealed without a license! The answer is HELL YES but as long as we have politicians (CROOKS) involved, its not going to happen.

Training purposes we all should be doing that no matter what-but to strap on a gun and not be familiar with it is insane do to liability issues. This is a world where people like to sue for some of the craziest things. My point is that if we going to carry whether it be open or conceal lets do it in style and not give the anti-gunners any reason to doubt us. Because there out there and waiting for one of us or all to slip up so they can say take all guns. I stand by my opinion 100%, I just made it a little softer! MIB When you said no training and strap on a gun-are you really serious? If you was then I will hate to live close to you. That stills puzzle the hell out of me with that comment!

ManInBlack

MIB When you said no training and strap on a gun-are you really serious? If you was then I will hate to live close to you. That stills puzzle the hell out of me with that comment!

Yes, absolutely, without a doubt. While I would not choose to carry a gun openly (or concealed for that matter) without training, I do not consider myself to be in a position to tell the rest of humanity how to exercise their God-given right to armed self-defense. If someone wishes to buy and carry a fully-automatic rifle without any training, I have no problem with that. If he were a friend, I would counsel him to receive tactical training, but if not, I would simply MIND MY OWN BUSINESS, which seems to be a lost art these days.

I am glad that you clarified your position. I think we can agree that training is important, but it, or a government-mandated certificate that results from it (CCP, etc.) should NEVER be REQUIRED to carry a gun openly or concealed.

Ivan Sample

ManInBlack-

I will never tell someone on how to carry a gun, if I sounded like that- then that was an error on my part. I just don't want to see a law abiding citizens who carries a gun to fall into a trap that the GOV'T as set up. We can agree on some things and disagree on others and that's cool. Its a learning process me and this board believe it or not is teaching more things about guns then I could imagine. I know where you stand and you know where I stand! Have a good night!

rickc1962

I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!

That sounds like the rhetoric we hear from the anti-gunners, here in Az. we now have Constitutional Carry and no blood in the streets, it nice to put on a coat to go out and not be breaking the law, we as law abiding citizens should not have to ask permission to exercise our God given rights protected by the Constitution.