• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skolnik is Done, but we didn't win anything!

Maine CWP Training

Suslovic would have to abstain from voting on the gun ban issue or resign from the Board of Directors for the Maine Citizen's Against Handgun Violence.

ep0k

Suslovic would have to abstain from voting on the gun ban issue or resign from the Board of Directors for the Maine Citizen's Against Handgun Violence.

A more clear-cut instance of conflicted interests we may never see.

So, with Skolnik out of the equation what happens now? Think Coyne or Suslovic will try to pick up the gun ban resolution?

boyscout399

Cited above ~ Conflict of Interest.

Is MCAHV a paid position? If it's a volunteer, not for profit organization than he stands nothing to gain personally and therefore I don't think it would be a conflict of interest. Are you saying that if a MOCA member got elected onto the city council, they couldn't push a pro-gun agenda? That makes no sense.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Cited above ~ Conflict of Interest.

By that application, nobody that belonged to any organization (either for or against something) could vote on matters related to it? Supporting this, you could not vote being a member of the NRA.

I understand what you and others are trying to say but see this as being overly broad. No one arrives with a blank slate.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Council persons in the past have abstained where political associations and statements of conclusion have already been made.

Granted that it might be nice if he were to abstain. Some would even say it was the right thing to do, but see no obligation to do so. Considering the actor involved, I would think this highly improbable though - even out of character.

ep0k

but they weren't obligated to abstain. They did it out of their own honor. Time will tell whether Suslovic's honor outweighs his agenda in his own mind.

Grape makes a damn fine point. Got to revise my position based on that.

Also reveals our own cognitive biases, in a way. If I was on the city council I don't know that I could say honestly that I would entertain any proposed anti-gun legislation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Also reveals our own cognitive biases, in a way. If I was on the city council I don't know that I could say honestly that I would entertain any proposed anti-gun legislation.

Nor would there be a call for you to resign from MOCA before your vote was considered moral.

Now if you belonged to an organization that would benefit financially from the outcome of a particular vote, that would be a conflict of interest IMO.

ep0k

Nor would there be a call for you to resign from MOCA before your vote was considered moral.

Now if you belonged to an organization that would benefit financially from the outcome of a particular vote, that would be a conflict of interest IMO.

Which is why we operate on a shoestring with no financial stake.

Speaking of which, need to figure out how to become a 501 non-profit.