Thread: Ruger P95 (w/rail) Holster

Question Ruger P95 (w/rail) Holster

I'm looking for a good Holster for my Ruger. I would like this style holster (http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum6906.php) but with a thumb break. If anyone has any good recommendations, I'd be much appreciative. When concerning the link, I am more wanting the "push button" lock feature.

If I understand correctly you're wanting a serpa "push button" and a thumb break on your holster. Is that correct? If so, that's an awful lot of retention to work through before you can draw your gun.

I've never heard of such a holster and very much doubt that you'll find one out there. Custom shops will usually modify their designs to suit, but I don't know a custom shop that works with the Serpa retention system.

Bianchi integrates a retention device similar to the serpa on some of their leather holsters, but I don't see a model listed for your Ruger. Even if there was one, you'd still have to convince them to add a thumb break, if they're set up for customizations, or have someone else add one aftermarket.

I'm afraid that what you seek simply does not exist. But best of luck on your search.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by wolfetundra View Post
    I'm looking for a good Holster for my Ruger. I would like this style holster (http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum6906.php) but with a thumb break. If anyone has any good recommendations, I'd be much appreciative. When concerning the link, I am more wanting the "push button" lock feature.
    Wolf, I too own and carry a Ruger P95. I spent many hours online, searching manufactures sites for an active retention holster(Serpa Style) to fit. To make a long story short, I failed.

The only retention holster I could find was a Fobus(passive) retention. Now that I have had it for a few weeks, and got somewhat familiar with it. I'm satisfied it will do the job, though it does take a good bit of practice to get used to. If you don't draw correctly, you might give your self an atomic wedgie, and your weapon will remain in the holster.

I still haven't mastered the technique, but I'm getting better.

One more point: I have offered a few family members and friends I trust, to try to snatch my weapon.
    They all failed.

YMMV, I hope I have helped you.
    Last edited by oldgoat; 11-05-2010 at 12:01 AM. Reason: edit to correct typos.

I've noticed. Moreso I need it for a firearms class I'm taking. I need a level 2 holster with a thumb break.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfetundra View Post
    I've noticed. Moreso I need it for a firearms class I'm taking. I need a level 2 holster with a thumb break.
    Having the thumb break is plenty to make it level 2. That is the only retention system you will need for a level 2 holster. If you have the SERPA retention along with a thumb break retention that would be a level 3, which is commonly used by law enforcement but not as often by the civilian population.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...2099&GunID=330
    This is my suggestion for you. It is designed to fit the P95 W/ Rail System. Its a very nice leather holster made from Glaco. It has adjustable positioning for straight up or a canted draw. Its an affordable price and also has the level 2 thumb break retention system as required for your class. Good luck my friend.
    "Know firearms, know safety. No firearms, no safety"
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

After looking over and demo'ing a couple different style holsters, I'm now considering settling with a "rock forward" style holster with a thumb break. That is, a holster where you need to function a thumb break before you can "rock" the firearm forward in order to draw it. I've noticed this style is "usually" found in a leather form.

I've googled, but I can't seem to find a holster like this for my Ruger p95 (w/ rail).

Fobus holsters for a ruger p95 w/ rail simply suck. I got a serpa level 2 retention for mine on ebay for $35. It has worked great so far and is alot more comfortable than the Fobus.

I appreciate everyones' help.

Regular Member 2ndammendmentbrotha's Avatar
    Where does the thumb snap hold the P95 on the hammer or the area below the hammer where the slide meets the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by anyamaboy View Post
    Fobus holsters for a ruger p95 w/ rail simply suck. I got a serpa level 2 retention for mine on ebay for $35. It has worked great so far and is alot more comfortable than the Fobus.
    I have both. I think the Fobus has a nicer fit than the Serpa. I can rock my P95 forward and backward in the Serpa. In my Fobus it stays where I put it. No play at all.

Before you go telling me what to do, I have already tightened the screw as much as I can. Still loose.

I do like having the ability to draw my firearm from my holster, if need be, without having it look like I'm drawing to shoot. With the Fobus it takes a strong draw that is hard to mistake. With the Serpa I can move slowly if I'm in a situation where I need to draw and not draw attention to myself.