• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing on a Wisconsin Vacation

Tribunal Power

Okay, folks, I need your help. A group of friends and I are planning a trip next summer to a cabin in your state. The cabin is near Minocqua I believe, and is owned by my friend's grandfather.

My wife and I are residents of Kentucky. Everyone else is a resident of Illinois. By this time, I will have my CC permit for KY-- not that it matters in WI, but it's still worth noting.

My question is pretty simple. Is there anything I really need to know before OCing in WI? I'm an out-of-state resident, but am allowed to purchase and carry legally in my home state. Also, I typically carry in condition one, so it's important to know if that has to change.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I look forward to my vacation!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
OC is legal for there being no law to prevent open carry per se, thus no requirements of 'how'. Concealed carry is prohibited.

Carry of a gun is prohibited by the state in school zones, establishments licensed for consumption of alcohol, government owned buildings, certain government owned properties (parks etc). Guns in vehicles (ATV, bicycle) are regulated with civil forfeiture and cannot be concealed (criminal misdemeanor).

Municipalities enjoy home rule limited only by particular legislation, that has been ineffective in regulating gun ordinances. There is state preemption of gun ordinances but it is largely ineffective.

Condition one is fine. There is no regulation on the manner of open carry.

lockman

State Researcher
Carry is fine for the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. I just make sure I am in a private parking lot when I arm/disarm in towns or areas that might be close to schools. If in doubt just don/t carry on that leg of your trip. Traversing Illinois and 3/4's of Wisconsin is not worth it just for a court date. Maybe by summer these issues maybe resolved.

protias

See signature for all your statutes and case laws, as well as talking to police. ;)