• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham Municipal Court to start following state law.

sudden valley gunner

So I have been pushing the issue and showed up for court last month sans I.D.

Don't worry I had a back up plan in case they refused, advice from a lawyer was not to
miss this one.

I have been the sore spot for them though they pretty much told me they don't care what state law was they have their procedure. But because I had no I.D. I asked what do I do and who do I sue if I got arrested for missing my court date. The lady at the desk called the a city attorney. They took my costco card for I.D., otherwise I would have had to use my back up plan. ( I didn't drive to court ). They also have lock boxes but don't give you the key, they also had no method of giving you a receipt or anything to prove you had a firearm in their lock boxes, I made her print me out something.

So I asked what the lawyers name was and the phone number since I showed up very early.

I called the lawyer and informed the lawyer that next time I will not even have my wallet on my next court date, and that the state law states that I am supposed to get the key, or they designate a person to accept firearm. I also informed her though that the court house is liable for anything that happens to the firearm while in their possession. She told me she would review it and discuss it with Linda Stork ( the head honcho in the court house). I informed her I had already tried this route in the past and that Linda told me the legal office was supposed to call and discuss it with me which never happened.

When asked if I can get an e-mail or a phone call on what the decision was she said no. I just have to keep checking back. So last week when I had to go down town to get a Police Complaint form (which they are now refusing to give again :banghead:) I walked across the street to ask if they have changed their "procedure", was informed they are moving the lock boxes so they can give firearm owners a key. Still not sure if they will want to see I.D.

White_russian5

That's awesome last time I went there I argued with them about it and they told me the same thing but I didn't get there early enough so I just did it their way. Now I'm wondering what they did with my information.

sudden valley gunner

Well I took a hard stance and made it well known that I don't like the fact that I am in court for a traffic violation/breaking the law, yet no one is enforcing it when the city breaks the law. I actually asked the prosecutor if it is his job to prosecute those who break laws, he said yes, so I asked why he doesn't prosecute the people in charge of the court house or cops who lie on police reports. ( that is breaking the law too).

I was very busy last weeks being a very squeaky wheel.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Well I took a hard stance and made it well known that I don't like the fact that I am in court for a traffic violation/breaking the law, yet no one is enforcing it when the city breaks the law. I actually asked the prosecutor if it is his job to prosecute those who break laws, he said yes, so I asked why he doesn't prosecute the people in charge of the court house or cops who lie on police reports. ( that is breaking the law too).

Kudos SVG!

heresolong

Was that Dave McEachran?

BTW: Definition:

A prosecuting attorney is a legal professional employed by the government whose primary responsibility is developing and prosecuting cases against individuals or entities accused of committing crimes.

So one could argue that as a government employee they are tasked with prosecuting people that the government requests they prosecute, rather than having much individual initiative.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

It wasn't McEachran, it was the city Proscecutor, I asked him if it was his job to prosecute crimes he said yes, so I then asked what about when the police commit crimes, his reply was he didn't know and he has never prosecuted a police officer. I asked him how I would go about pressing charges then, he had no answer. I asked some straight forward questions he pushed them off as he can't give legal advise. He looked shocked I knew about Brady vs. Maryland which points out that it is illegal for police to lie or be misleading on police reports, and he did not want to discuss that.

I have come to the conclusion City Prosecutors are reluctant to prosecute people who basically they work with.

I talked to sheriff's department they said if it is something blatant like dealing drugs or theft, yes they would arrest (I would hope so) but citizens only other recourse is FBI for going after City Police, he said there has been a few cases back east where the FBI took over whole city departments, he didn't know the cities though and I haven't checked it out to verify that.

I had my issues with some of McEachran's cases, but the way he handled my native Auntie who was distraught about her cousins murder impressed me, some of the non-native officials (or non officials) sometimes don't quite grasp some of the cultural differences and come off seeming like they don't have respect, he didn't come off that way at all.

sudden valley gunner

They Changed Procedure

Had court the other day. The now take you to a locked area, give you the key, you use the lock box, and go about your business.

When done you go to the glass booth tell them you need to get your weapon they bring you back you retrieve weapon, give them the key and go on your way.

No I.D. required!!!!!!!!

Although I don't like the whole locked door scenario, it is now completely within line of State Law and my desire to not have to carry "papers".