• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Murray vs. Rossi

Seattleman

If it's all the Californians that moved up here, 1100 would have passed with a much higher margin ;)

Unless they were moving to get away from all that "liquor and groceries" nonsense.

I'm from michigan originally, where you could also get liquor in stores. Underage drinking was no more an issue there than it is here. Maybe even less so.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I didn't understand why Rossi would be put up against anyone, he has proven to fall short. There has to be someone that (R) have, other than Rossi.

<snip>...I agree that the WA Republican party needs to do much better in its future selection of candidates. You can't run a 3-time loser like Rossi (I still hope he wins :)) or someone as ill equipped as Didier and expect to win.

Whoa! Rossi (if he loses) will be 2-2! Remember he won the first race, then won again after a recount before he lost the 2nd recount. Therefore, he is 2-1 going into this race.

:banana::banana::banghead:

Metalhead47

OK here's what I don't get:

As of now (Wednesday night), Murry & Rossi are still neck & neck.

ALL the tax initiatives came out favorably, and by large margins.

So... um...
sign0094.gif

That means a significant number of people voted AGAINST more taxes but FOR Porkbarrel Murray ?!?
th_smiley-think005.gif

Deleted_User

OK here's what I don't get:

As of now (Wednesday night), Murry & Rossi are still neck & neck.

ALL the tax initiatives came out favorably, and by large margins.

So... um...
sign0094.gif

That means a significant number of people voted AGAINST more taxes but FOR Porkbarrel Murray ?!?
th_smiley-think005.gif

+1 I am truly wondering the same thing. My thought is ...

The evil you know is better than the one you don't? Is this the mentality? I voted for Rossi but the people of the state keep Murray maybe due to familiarity. Incumbants can be hard to uproot. Just my $.02

Stretch

I spoke with 2 different voters last night. They voted in all of the local, and initiative based issues. When it came to the senate race, although they tend to vote Republican, both stated they cast a blank vote. Their issue? Rossi just seems to be just as much "big government" as Murray. Regardless if that is true or not, that does seem to be a perception a lot of people have of him in my circle of friends. Some were grit the teeth and vote for Rossi, some obviously said no vote.

Obviously a better candidate need to be presented to us on the right.

gsx1138

I spoke with 2 different voters last night. They voted in all of the local, and initiative based issues. When it came to the senate race, although they tend to vote Republican, both stated they cast a blank vote. Their issue? Rossi just seems to be just as much "big government" as Murray. Regardless if that is true or not, that does seem to be a perception a lot of people have of him in my circle of friends. Some were grit the teeth and vote for Rossi, some obviously said no vote.

I can see that. There are races I didn't vote in because I didn't like either choice. As of this morning it looks like Rossi is losing by 400 votes. I smell a recount.

cbpeck

I can see that. There are races I didn't vote in because I didn't like either choice. As of this morning it looks like Rossi is losing by 400 votes. I smell a recount.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers. According to the Secretary of State, Rossi is down 27,464 votes. Hardly a small margin:

http://vote.wa.gov/Elections/WEI/Re...ictionTypeID=1&ElectionID=37&ViewMode=Results

I voted for Rossi begrudgingly, and would be ecstatic if he somehow came out on top, but I just don't see it happening.

amlevin

We won't be seeing those "better candidates" until people start recruiting them LONG before the elections. Finding a good candidate is like finding a good employee. Sometimes you have to search for them. If you don't want to be governed by a bunch of Housewives, Lawyers, Real Estate/Insurance Agents, or professional political hacks someone needs to go on a recruiting trip. Encouraging people from business that have the brains to recognize that real jobs are not government jobs. They are jobs in the private sector that actually create something.

When everyone just sits around and waits for the next election, then bitches about the crappy selection of candidates, nothing will change.

knight_308

I agree that Didier was the Tea Party candidate. I voted for him in the primary, but like some other Tea Party candidates he wasn't as versed in government & politics as he needed to be, IMO.

During the race Didier publically stated that the Declaration of Independence started with "We the people." That's the Constitution, Clint, not the Declaration of Independence. If you're running for Senator you need to get this straight. It's kind of a big deal.

I agree that the WA Republican party needs to do much better in its future selection of candidates. You can't run a 3-time loser like Rossi (I still hope he wins :)) or someone as ill equipped as Didier and expect to win.

To be totally fair, that's a relatively minor mistake (as long as it's only made once). I mean, look at some of the other people out there who have been elected who have made way bigger mistakes (57 states, for example).

I think Didier would have had a chance if he'd had the backing of the establishment. Still would have been close, but people would've been fired up for him. Rossi's move was simply bad cricket.

I don't think there were many Didier write-ins. Most realize that this was a time where the lesser of two evils was appropriate.

gsx1138

Metalhead47

To be totally fair, that's a relatively minor mistake (as long as it's only made once). I mean, look at some of the other people out there who have been elected who have made way bigger mistakes (57 states, for example).

I think Didier would have had a chance if he'd had the backing of the establishment. Still would have been close, but people would've been fired up for him. Rossi's move was simply bad cricket.

I don't think there were many Didier write-ins. Most realize that this was a time where the lesser of two evils was appropriate.

w0rd.

Given the anti-establishment sentiment, I think Dider had a darn good chance right up until Rossi decided to pull a McCain. Without that, the rank & file "I just vote Republican" Republicans would have voted for Didier (they sure as hell wouldn't have voted for Ms Bacon), the Tea Partiers would have enthusiastically voted for Didier, and some of the brighter anti-establishment Dems might have too.

If nothing else, it would have eliminated or greatly reduced the "they both suck so I ain't votin' for neither" votes, and the pointless write-ins as well. Which by the looks of it so far, would have made all the difference in this race.

But then again, Porky-Two-Shoes always has been popular with the illegal alien & dead votes :banghead:

Beretta92FSLady

and some of the brighter anti-establishment Dems might have too.

I love this little jewel LOL. So many anti-establishment folks vying for the spot, in the establishment...ironic.

Government is so bad that I want you to vote me in so that I can "change" it. All political BS. Both sides get a bit fuzzy once the bennies come rolling in.

Last edited:

kwiebe

The bottom line is that Murray owes her fourth term to the fact that her opponent was Rossi. What happened was almost the senatorial version of Obama-McCain in 2008. While I myself don't really want to equate Rossi to McCain, in terms of ideological bearing, I think their respective campaign's resonance with the people was very comparable.

I think Rossi ran a weak campaign and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Shame. It basically was his election to lose, and he did (will).

Last edited:

cbpeck

The bottom line is that Murray owes her fourth term to the fact that her opponent was Rossi. What happened was almost the senatorial version of Obama-McCain in 2008. While I myself don't really want to equate Rossi to McCain, in terms of ideological bearing, I think their respective campaign's resonance with the people was very comparable.

I think Rossi ran a weak campaign and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Shame. It basically was his election to lose, and he did (will).

+1

Metalhead47

Yup. Looks like he, like McCain, has a habit of popping up & spoiling otherwise promising elections.