• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drunk, aggressive guy gets tased at Subway restaurant

LV XD9

I like the fact that when an issue arose the staff and everything behind the counter went into lockdown(so to speak). And to hell with all of the customers in the eating area.
I don't necessarily have any problem with that, given the circumstances. What would you have them do instead? The police had already been called at that point and the a-hole had already accosted a female employee from behind the counter, chasing her into the back room and breaking the phone she was trying to use to call for help. So again I ask, what would you have them do?
cabbitone said:
I'm glad it was just a drunken idiot rather than some one with real malicious intent.
Indeed. Things could have gone a hell of lot worse, especially since this apparently happened at a University (aka a Defense-Free Zone,) so it's likely that none of the other patrons were armed.

Xulld

He was defiantly intoxicated. I am not sure the police needed to taze him, he did not respond to their commands in a timely enough fashion, and that was bad for him. Do I have any sympathy for him: no. Do I feel like he should not have been tazed, umm, yea probably needed it.

At the time he was being told to get on the ground he backed up and was not being combative, but was also not responding to the commands. Its my feeling that in a situation where no one is being injured at the moment, failure to heed a command within a few seconds is not a good reason to taze someone. (Edit: 5 seconds elapsed from the time he was told to get on the ground to the time he was tazed)

The technology is great, it allows officers a tool to prevent them the need to get within grapple range of a target, and possibly loosing there firearm. I think its use however tends to be slightly premature.

From the video it sounds like the officers arrived right when the kid was yelling, and that definitely set the mood, which is a factor. Overall, mission accomplished, could they have reduced the liability of a tazer mishap with a bit more prudence, yes.

That to me is the point of watching these videos, establish a proper doctrine for tazer usage. The local governments should not be spending money on litigation created due to early use of tazers on poeple with conditions which cannot be told from physical appearances alone, thus wasting tax payer money.

I did enjoy seeing the punk get tazed, but that is my emotional reaction, not my rational reaction.

Last edited: