• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting range construction in SC, York County

Tweaker

I have been looking at moving to York County, SC. According to their zoning ordinances, a special exemption is required to construct a shooting range, and further, this is only permitted in AGC zoned land. There is precious little AGC zoned land.

Question - What is to prevent me from either shooting on my own land, regardless of how it is zoned, assuming I am following all state law in regards to firearm discharge or even constructing a shooting range, and not attempting to get a special zoning exemption? I am not going to be creating something for commercial use.

hp-hobo

I'm not familiar with York county laws, however due to state pre-emption I believe they'll be the same as Sumter county. Here, shooting on private property is completely legal as long as you're outside the Sumter city limits.

I have a 100 meter range out back for private use and nobody has ever said anything negative about it except me when I have to mow it or trim trees. Others in the area have the same sort of set-ups. We all pretty much have guns and horses out here. Being as two sides of my land border a state forest, if there was a problem I'm sure it would have been addressed by now.

The cops seem to have backed that up a few weeks ago when called by the recently moved in "neighbors" (from New Jersey) a mile or so up the road because of gun fire on a Saturday afternoon. They were told to call back when someone does something illegal.

YRMV

Tweaker

Ok, that is what I assumed. I can't wait to move to your state and then vigorously attempt to change it into the liberal masterpiece I fled in Illannoy.

Recovering Yankee

hp-hobo

Ok, that is what I assumed. I can't wait to move to your state and then vigorously attempt to change it into the liberal masterpiece I fled in Illannoy.

Recovering Yankee
My brother in law and sister in law also want defect from Illinois to South Carolina for greener pastures. On the other hand, my wife and I are looking to leave here for Wyoming because it's become way too liberal and 2A unfriendly in South Carolina for us.

I guess it all depends on your life experience. Good luck with your move and enjoy your stay.

Tweaker

Bumper sticker I like - "We don't care how you did things up north!"

I have a 30 year career type job about to start in CLT, NC, so SC was the best I could come up with. WY is near the top of my list, if a job did not limit my choices. Others would be ID, MT, SD, UT, AZ, TX, AR, LA, MI, TN, KY, AL, FL, AK. The rest are for sheeot and I won't go there by choice, even for recreation.

Do you guys think there is any hope for OC in SC?

Also, how do you recommend I go about minimizing my time being denied 2A rights when I make the move? I must wait 60 days to even apply for a CCW and there is no OC!!! I am considering applying while maintaining a residence in VA and using that permit's reciprocity. Ideas? If I am left with no legal option to defend myself, it is then time to make like Dr. King and disobey civily.

Tweaker

By the way, when I pointed out that I could just shoot on my land and skip the special exemption for a range, the zoning queef got all silent and unresponsive. lol