• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question: City of Southfiled dumped S&W M&P pistols?

Bailenforcer

Does anyone know why the City of Southfield Police Dept. sent back all their brand new Smith and Wesson M&P's?

Rumor is they had numerous failures.

PDinDetroit

Does anyone know why the City of Southfield Police Dept. sent back all their brand new Smith and Wesson M&P's?

Rumor is they had numerous failures.

I had not heard of it, but have someone I work with that can check on it (her husband is on the force). It may take a few days...

I know Royal Oak had a problem with their Glock Pistol's Tactical Lights being too heavy and causing FTF's, causing them to swap out the Tactical Lights for a lighter model.

Beerme

Banned
I had not heard of it, but have someone I work with that can check on it (her husband is on the force). It may take a few days...

I know Royal Oak had a problem with their Glock Pistol's Tactical Lights being too heavy and causing FTF's, causing them to swap out the Tactical Lights for a lighter model.
Pontiac had that problem as well

eastmeyers

Look at that, back already

They had several malfunctions, some (I don't know how many, but obviously enough to be a problem), were jamming every 3-4 rounds.

Last edited:

eastmeyers

No that only goes for people who don't trust themselves to pull a firearm out of a holster without putting their finger on the trigger. Firearm safety 101, don't put your finger on the trigger till your ready to pull.

Michigander

Strange. Such a relentlessly reliable gun, even when dirty. A few specific guns jamming while others work flawlessly seems like a rather lousy decision. S&W, even if a total idea theif isn't exactly known for refusing to do warranty work.

No disrespect to Glock, but the M&P's are definitely more comfortable in the hand, and better suited to a wider variety of hand sizes.

eastmeyers

Strange. Such a relentlessly reliable gun, even when dirty. A few specific guns jamming while others work flawlessly seems like a rather lousy decision. S&W, even if a total idea theif isn't exactly known for refusing to do warranty work.

No disrespect to Glock, but the M&P's are definitely more comfortable in the hand, and better suited to a wider variety of hand sizes.

From my understanding (it was strongly implied), it was a very large number of the s&w's were having problems, jamming was just the number one complaint. I didn't see the need to ask for details, as the facts are still the facts, they dropped them because they had problems, big enough problems they felt the need to get rid of them completely.

As for Glocks not being comfortable enough, I am sure they are doing what most larger departments are doing and offering all officers the choice's between the standard or the compact, which in this case would be the Glock 31 and Glock 32, and as back-ups and undercover work they would use Glock 33's which is the sub-compact. All of these models are .357sig models.

Last edited:

eastmeyers

Another odd choice, since you lose a fair amount of transferable energy when necking down a typical handgun round. But I suppose at least the recoil will be light, and the cute little HP bullets will expand well.

I thought it was weird too, I was hoping they were going to go with 10mm, that way ammo would be cheaper in the area (edventually), but they don't offer Glock 10mm in all three sizes. Oh well, not like me as a random citizen has a vote in it anyways. LOL.

(I assume they got a discount to go with .357sig, instead of .40, the standard for SE Michigan LE, just to make it more popular)

Last edited:

eastmeyers

I know departments Carry (and to keep it on topic Open Carry)

Glock
Sig
S&W
Beretta (less often)
Kimber (rarely)

Does anyone know of a department that (open) carries or has (open) carried Springfield XD?

Or any other brands, and if you know the department if you can list it.

Scooter

I have an M&P myself and love it, many people have and swear by Glock, hey whatever! I just hope they can hit their target with whatever they're using!

Bailenforcer

Making some telephone calls today... Detroit has the S&W M&P now and I am being told they are so tight tolerance that they also have had some malfunctions but not as many as implied with Southfield. Of course they use the .40.

I never trusted a necked cartridge in a handgun concept.

To add also I am told the M&P is more accurate than the Glocks but less dependable.

I thought it was weird too, I was hoping they were going to go with 10mm, that way ammo would be cheaper in the area (edventually), but they don't offer Glock 10mm in all three sizes. Oh well, not like me as a random citizen has a vote in it anyways. LOL.

(I assume they got a discount to go with .357sig, instead of .40, the standard for SE Michigan LE, just to make it more popular)

Bailenforcer

Yes I really want to see the 10 MM make a come back.