• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Haven Advocate article on open carry and gun rights in CT.

bennor

Kind of shocking to see a fairly balanced gun story in any of the local media outlets. Thanks for posting Rich B.

KIX

I deal with the media on a regular basis. Unless you are VERY experienced, they will get a few things wrong.

That being said, CONGRATS! Especially considering this media outlet isn't exactly constitutionally friendly, at least the Hartford one isn't.

Jonathan

LQM

Exactly how many times?

Not too bad. I think Betsy made a pretty fair and balanced article here, even if she messed a couple facts up about my cases.

http://www.newhavenadvocate.com/featured-news/is-connecticut-properly-policing-gun-owners

“I can’t tell you how many times I’ve given [a permit] out and then I’m taking it back because of what they’ve done with it,” she says. (New Haven Detective Annmarie Laporta )

I for one would like to know that number.

LQM

Rich B

The author did fine, even great - until the last two sentences. :(

I don't see what is wrong with the last two sentences:

Kuck’s case will now have a chance to be heard in Connecticut and a judge may decide how long is too long to wait for a hearing and whether or not DPS is arbitrarily revoking or denying pistol permits and creating the backlog.

“Having read a lot of history, I know one of the worst things that any society can do is allow the police to make up their own laws as they go along,” Kuck says. “I understand there are some people who should not have guns, but even the police should follow the law.”

I think they are great, as a matter of fact.

dcmdon

I deal with the media on a regular basis. Unless you are VERY experienced, they will get a few things wrong.

That being said, CONGRATS! Especially considering this media outlet isn't exactly constitutionally friendly, at least the Hartford one isn't.

Jonathan

Jonathan,
Thats not quite right. They are a very liberal rag. As such, they are VERY 1st, 4th, and 5th, amendment friendly.

I've known reporters for the New Haven Advocate and they were generally anti-establishment and distrusting of law enforcement. This article is consistent with my past experiences. So while they're not exactly pro-gun, its not very surprising that the article was for the most part, balanced.

Don

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The author did fine, even great - until the last two sentences. :(

I don't see what is wrong with the last two sentences:.

You wouldn’t call the police if someone’s walking in your neighborhood carrying a gun on their hip? Most people would. Most people would want to know why. If they have a permit to carry that’s one thing… Whatever their personal reasons are [to carry] they don’t usually flaunt it or expose it. There’s no need to.”
http://www.newhavenadvocate.com/feat...ing-gun-owners

Flaunt it? No need to? PLeeeeze!

Rich B

You wouldn’t call the police if someone’s walking in your neighborhood carrying a gun on their hip? Most people would. Most people would want to know why. If they have a permit to carry that’s one thing… Whatever their personal reasons are [to carry] they don’t usually flaunt it or expose it. There’s no need to.”
http://www.newhavenadvocate.com/feat...ing-gun-owners

Flaunt it? No need to? PLeeeeze!

You are quoting the last two sentences on the first page.
By 'last two sentences' I thought you meant the actual last two sentences of the article.

Lt. Vance's opinions only add fuel to the fire started in this article. He responds in exactly the way everyone here would expect him to respond, and it only makes him and the rest of his coworkers look bad. Of course this is sad, because I don't think we can really fairly stereotype every CSP trooper with the same ignorant views and dishonesty that Lt. Vance demonstrates.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You are quoting the last two sentences on the first page.
By 'last two sentences' I thought you meant the actual last two sentences of the article.

Lt. Vance's opinions only add fuel to the fire started in this article. He responds in exactly the way everyone here would expect him to respond, and it only makes him and the rest of his coworkers look bad. Of course this is sad, because I don't think we can really fairly stereotype every CSP trooper with the same ignorant views and dishonesty that Lt. Vance demonstrates.

Indeed I was. I thought the "next" button was a link to the next article, didn't realize there was a page #2. :(

Should not have gone back and read the other page though without my duct tape :exclaim:

larch

Rich,

Shoot him an email. paul.vance@ct.gov

datank55

I found it interesting that the article (though refreshingly open minded) kept making references to the act of a pistol permit being granted as a be all end all to "getting a gun." As far as I know, it does not require a pistol permit to purchase/posses far more powerful shotguns and rifles. Someone uninformed who reads this article may get the impression that it requires a permit to own any "gun" in this state which of course is false.

Rich B

I found it interesting that the article (though refreshingly open minded) kept making references to the act of a pistol permit being granted as a be all end all to "getting a gun." As far as I know, it does not require a pistol permit to purchase/posses far more powerful shotguns and rifles. Someone uninformed who reads this article may get the impression that it requires a permit to own any "gun" in this state which of course is false.

We certainly have to work with the journalists to get the correct facts out there, but sometimes they run off and make their own statements.

Lets be thankful for a fair article and work on the details as we go. Trying to get it perfect right out of the gate is going to be tough.

KennyB

Everone needs to see and maybe even comment at the bottom of that article. Some good points for our side being published!

Walt_Kowalski

I posted the following comment on the article:

Open carry, and the ownership of firearms is a right granted by the constitution to citizens.

To give you an example of how ridiculous it is to advocate the censure of a right, I have edited your original post, and replaced "Open Carry" with "Free Speech"

(quote Gerry)
We need to get a law on the books now prohibiting Free Speech. There is no reason to Free Speech other than to create a disturbance or show off. One of these hombres is going to get shot by a cop by mistake.

I have started a campaign to get a new law on the books ensuring Free Speech is illegal. Write your state reps!
(end Gerry quote)

I hope my point is proven.

On a side note, If I were a citizen of Connecticut I would be fighting tooth and nail to have the BFPE and DPS boards absolved as they are unconstitutional.

How far Connecticut has come.. Its citizens once the seat of the Revolution, are now having to fight to restore their basic rights.

Last edited:

LQM

"How far Connecticut has come.. Its citizens once the seat of the Revolution, are now having to fight to restore their basic rights. " (Walt_Kowalski)

I make that point all the time in my own circles. How far we've come indeed.

LQM