• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suggestion for an OC hostler for a Glock 23

strife1013

I have a Glock 23C and right now I am using a Galco YAQ202B as seen here (in black)

http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-yaqui-slide-paddle-auto-concealment-holsters.html

Since I open carry I would think this would be fairly easy for someone to just "take" if they decided to reach for it while standing in back of me, although a nice spinning elbow as soon as I felt someone touching it might stop them (I am a black belt in Shao-Lin Kung Fu) but for added security (as you can never be too careful) when I OC I thought I might get another hostler. Any suggestions, and or thoughts on my situation or should I be alright with mine and am I over thinking things too much??

Thanks guys!

Michigander

I suggest Safariland rotating hood holsters. The "Fine Tac" models are available for around 80 dollars.

Depending on how your hand is shaped and the particular shape of the gun in question, it can be varyingly possible in a high speed stressful draw to end up with your finger inside the trigger guard. Many will disagree with me on this, and I won't dispute with their opinions, they know their body better than I do. But do remember that small motor skills go out the window in a shoot out. I've had it happen to me while practicing with a borrowed Serpa and a M&P. Another fine motor skill issue is that the retention mechanism doesn't like to release when you're pulling up on the gun. Can be worked around with practice, but I'd rather not have another weak link in my chain of self defense.

Another reason I don't like them is that it is particularly easy to get your shirt tail caught in the holster when holstering. The safariland rotating hood models make this much harder to do. This can be a problem with getting a gun stuck, particularly if there is a chance you'll need to draw again.

The last problem which I've never seen happen but can be made to happen with a pebble or other peice of debris is that the retention button can become jammed, jamming the gun in the holster. Again, not possible with the safariland, but this may not mean much because I've never so much as heard of a verified real world case of this happening.

It's not that the Serpas don't work just fine if you practice with them and carefully use them within their limitations, but the Safariland offers a superior package for 30-50 dollars more, with the added bonus of a harder to figure out retention mechanism, and suede lining to protect your gun's finish. I personally feel the choice is obvious, because my life is worth 30-50 dollars extra.

Just my 2 cents, not intended to insult Serpa fans, or reject the idea that they can be used responsibly. Just that I think there are superior alternatives.

Last edited:

Snakemathis

I carry mine in a Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 for the most part but I also have a Galco leather thumb break that I use for formal occasions. Personally I love them both and dont prefer one over the other. The only nice thing about the Serpa is the ability to make it belt loop or paddle depending on your desire. My Galco was a good 25 bucks more than the Serpa cuz of leather but I think its worth it. Good luck with your decision, hope this helps.

sultan62

I picked my Safariland ALS (Level Two Retention) with the paddle and belt attachment for $40 from OpticsPlanet. I don't know if they've got it for the G23C or what the price is, but I've been very happy with mine. I've got a buddy with the G19 who likes it a lot as well.

ETA Link:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/safariland+6378+283/

Looks like $45 at OpticsPlanet for the Safariland 6378, which is what I discussed above. Also, it qualifies for free shipping, so it would be $45 OTD.

Last edited:

Armed and Harmless

I also have a glock 23 that is probably my most frequently carried gun for OC. Keep in mind that the Yaqi holster you have requires the gun to be drawn straight out in one direction, which makes it reasonably difficult for someone to grab your gun from behind. The holsters mentioned by the other posters are all excellent choices and many people, including law enforcement, use these brands everyday. However, if you like leather such as the one you currently have, Tagua makes a really nice thumbbreak holster (I have one that I carry almost everyday). They are available in brown or black and look almost identical to the Galco shown on the right side of the same page your link pulls up, but they're about half the price. The quality is great and they are handmade in Paraguay with all double stitching. You can view their products at www.taguagunleather.com.

I hope this helps and if you are looking for a different style of holster than what you have I would recommend anything from Blackhawk or Safariland.

swinokur

Activist Member
We need some info to help you make a good chice.

1. Budget?
2. Retention level required ie II,III,IV?
3. Leather or Kydex?

Safariland makes a first class holster but they cost more than the Serpa. Is price important? The Serpa runs about 40 dollars and you get both paddle and belt attachments included. Glock finishes are very rigged so Kydex doesn't hurt them. I use Serpas for my 2 Glocks and my full size 1911. Wear seems minimal to me,

There are anecdotal stories on the Internet about ND's and jams with the Serpas. I have not experienced these personally so I can't comment, but I will say U.S .SOCOM has approved the Serpa for use by it's operators. That's a pretty good endorsement IMO.

Good luck and let us know what you purchase

Last edited:

JDriver1.8t

I carry in a serpa if retention is what I'm looking for, and if I have no plans of CCing.
Otherwise, I carry in a Don Hume 721OT (open top). It is a very tight fit, and requires a straight out pull. In a retention class I took, it was not able to just be pulled out.