• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open letter to recently hired Wisconsin legislators

GVR

Congratulations, we have decided you are the right person for the job. We hired you because we believe you will:
  1. Reduce the size of government
  2. Reduce the scope of government
  3. Improve the budgetary situation
  4. Leave more money in the pockets of taxpayers
  5. Team with your co-workers to address challenges facing Wisconsin

Forty-eight states currently allow civilians to carry concealed firearms. Sadly, Wisconsin is one of the two states that infringe upon a constitutionally protected right by ensuring that criminals are the only civilians allowed to protect themselves with a concealed firearm.

One means of rectifying this situation is to implement a concealed carry permit system in Wisconsin. Under such a system, civilians could apply for a permit, pay a permit fee, demonstrate proficiency with a weapon, and be allowed to lawfully carry a concealed firearm. This would:
-require additional government staff to administer the permit system, increasing the size of government
-add another aspect of control to the governmental responsibilities, expanding the scope of government
-require, in addition to more staff, some means of managing the database of permit holders and providing access to local law enforcement. The State's recent history with purchasing new database systems has been fraught with schedule delays and cost overruns.
-remove money from taxpayer pockets to fund permit application fees and required training classes
-deny timely access to concealed carry to those whose decision is driven by situations involving domestic abuse, harassment, stalking, or other criminal activity

Please compare these points with items 1-4, above.

Should you decide to pursue a permit system, plan on spending considerable time with your colleagues debating (for starters):
-which level of government will manage the permit system (state, county or local, and if state, which department? if local or county, how will the state provide oversight to ensure proper program execution?)
-what proficiency will need to be demonstrated to acquire a permit?
-what will the training requirements be?
-how long will a permit last?
-who's authorized to provide training, and what are their required qualifications?
-what is the appeals process if denied a permit?
-what is the permit (ID card, paper license, photolaminate?), where do you acquire it, etc?

Please consider item 5, above.

A second option to address the concealed carry issue in Wisconsin would be to simply repeal the current ban on carrying a concealed weapon, SS. 941.23. Governor-elect Walker has stated he would sign such a repeal.
A ban repeal would be simple to take up in the legislature, would not expand government size, scope, or budget, and would not cost taxpayers a dime.

As you consider the best means to allow law-abiding Wisconsin residents the means to protect themselves, please keep in mind that your employment status is probationary, and up for review during the next election cycle.

Again, congratulations, and welcome to the team.

rhenriksen

Very nice. I might suggest a reference to precedent - that Vermont has (always?) had this way of handling second amendment rights, and that Alaska adopted constitutional carry in ______, without blood in the streets, followed recently by Arizona.

Few people, particularly politicians, like being the pioneers out in front trailblazing. Following someone else's lead is much more comfortable, and the WI pols may be completely unaware of constitutional carry as a current reality for (some of) America's citizens. Heck, if you can locate the names & contact information for appropriate legislators in those three states who the WI pols can reach out to, all the better - include that information, too.

OCglock1988

good post

would it be ok to use your post as a template for reaching out to my own representatives? unless i missed it you forgot that the WI GOP platform removed the permit wording from its stance on conceal carry. Rhendrickson makes good points too. Everyone on this forum should be emailing their new legislators so they know what we want. DO NOT SETTLE FOR PERMITS

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Well said. I couldn't have said it better. Welcome to OCDO-Wisconsin.

Well said. I couldn't have said it better. Welcome to OCDO-Wisconsin.
Congratulations, we have decided you are the right person for the job. We hired you because we believe you will:

Forty-eight states currently allow civilians to carry concealed firearms. Sadly, Wisconsin is one of the two states that infringe upon a constitutionally protected right by ensuring that criminals are the only civilians allowed to protect themselves with a concealed firearm.

One means of rectifying this situation is to implement a concealed carry permit system in Wisconsin. Under such a system, civilians could apply for a permit, pay a permit fee, demonstrate proficiency with a weapon, and be allowed to lawfully carry a concealed firearm. This would:
-require additional government staff to administer the permit system, increasing the size of government
-add another aspect of control to the governmental responsibilities, expanding the scope of government
-require, in addition to more staff, some means of managing the database of permit holders and providing access to local law enforcement. The State's recent history with purchasing new database systems has been fraught with schedule delays and cost overruns.
-remove money from taxpayer pockets to fund permit application fees and required training classes
-deny timely access to concealed carry to those whose decision is driven by situations involving domestic abuse, harassment, stalking, or other criminal activity

Should you decide to pursue a permit system, plan on spending considerable time with your colleagues debating (for starters):
-which level of government will manage the permit system (state, county or local, and if state, which department? if local or county, how will the state provide oversight to ensure proper program execution?)
-who's authorized to provide training, and what are their required qualifications?
-what is the permit (ID card, paper license, photolaminate?), where do you acquire it, etc?

A second option to address the concealed carry issue in Wisconsin would be to simply repeal the current ban on carrying a concealed weapon, SS. 941.23. Governor-elect Walker has stated he would sign such a repeal.
A ban repeal would be simple to take up in the legislature, would not expand government size, scope, or budget, and would not cost taxpayers a dime.

As you consider the best means to allow law-abiding Wisconsin residents the means to protect themselves, please keep in mind that your employment status is probationary, and up for review during the next election cycle.

Somebody from WCI will be along to solicit membership subscription funds. Remember that 'subscription' means more than buying a magazine. WELCOME!

Last edited:

GVR

would it be ok to use your post as a template for reaching out to my own representatives? unless i missed it you forgot that the WI GOP platform removed the permit wording from its stance on conceal carry. Rhendrickson makes good points too. Everyone on this forum should be emailing their new legislators so they know what we want. DO NOT SETTLE FOR PERMITS

Yes, please do.

bigdaddy1

Good post and welcome. I would suggest some changes however for a key point. With out a permit system you will be unable to travel through the country. The few states that don't require any type of permit are few and far between, and unlikely to change any time soon. There may be residency requirements for these states also. Wisconsin should have a reciprocal state permit system so we can travel protected. I would suggest using the already in place back ground check call system for the CC permit check. If you are not a felon and can legally purchase a firearm you can obtain a CC permit. Other than that I don't believe any other requirements should be permitted. I will also suggest a castle doctrine in Wisconsin to protect the honest citizen from law suits and other legal issues that may occur while we are protecting ourselves.

Several months ago I was all for constitutional carry, then I realized as I was crossing into Minnesota one day that if I had my firearm I would not be legal. Until the entire country adopts constitutional carry, travel and firearms will always be a problem.

Last edited:

protias

Good post and welcome. I would suggest some changes however for a key point. With out a permit system you will be unable to travel through the country. The few states that don't require any type of permit are few and far between, and unlikely to change any time soon. There may be residency requirements for these states also. Wisconsin should have a reciprocal state permit system so we can travel protected. I would suggest using the already in place back ground check call system for the CC permit check. If you are not a felon and can legally purchase a firearm you can obtain a CC permit. Other than that I don't believe any other requirements should be permitted. I will also suggest a castle doctrine in Wisconsin to protect the honest citizen from law suits and other legal issues that may occur while we are protecting ourselves.

Several months ago I was all for constitutional carry, then I realized as I was crossing into Minnesota one day that if I had my firearm I would not be legal. Until the entire country adopts constitutional carry, travel and firearms will always be a problem.

Traveling is fine as long as you are following federal law on firearm transportation.

bigdaddy1

I think your missing my point. If you are concealed carrying and you cross a state line, you may be in violation of that states carry law. I don't want to stop at the border, unload and stow my weapon each time I cross a state line.

protias

I think your missing my point. If you are concealed carrying and you cross a state line, you may be in violation of that states carry law. I don't want to stop at the border, unload and stow my weapon each time I cross a state line.
I may be wrong here, but under federal law, isn't it illegal to transport loaded firearms across state lines anyway? I'm not sure how much that is enforced though, especially with those who have permits and reciprocity.

Walt_Kowalski

I would make the following edits:

Forty-eight states currently allow citizens to carry concealed firearms. Sadly, Wisconsin is one of the two states that infringe upon a constitutionally protected right by ensuring that criminals are the only citizens allowed to protect themselves with a concealed firearm.

One means of rectifying this situation is to implement a concealed carry permit system in Wisconsin. Under such a system, citizens could apply for a permit, pay a permit fee, demonstrate proficiency with a weapon, and be allowed to lawfully carry a concealed firearm.

paul@paul-fisher.com

No we shouldn't. If you want reciprocity, get another states out of state permit. If we allow WI to setup the bureaucracy for a permit system, they will somehow make it required.

Vandil

Seems like a good time to plug this site to WCI.
http://www.vocus.com/content/governmentrelations.asp

I use it with another GR political association it allows you to manage grass roots political efforts including emailing all of your government representatives at once. You just setup the letter, then recipients, and publish a link. All the end user has to do is click the link and enter their individual info. They also have the option to edit the form letter before sending it. Takes me a minute to email every rep in the state when I use it.

bigdaddy1

No we shouldn't. If you want reciprocity, get another states out of state permit. If we allow WI to setup the bureaucracy for a permit system, they will somehow make it required.

Why should I need to buy between 3 and 6 CC permits for other states when I live in Wisconsin? I seriously doubt if Wisconsin will become a no permit required state anyway. There are only 3 in the entire country, and it took Arizona many years to finally get it done.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Why should I need to buy between 3 and 6 CC permits for other states when I live in Wisconsin? I seriously doubt if Wisconsin will become a no permit required state anyway. There are only 3 in the entire country, and it took Arizona many years to finally get it done.

So, are you assuming every other state will honor Wisconsin's permit? I doubt it. Some states require training to honor an out of state one, so, will WI require training? If so, there goes the $5 permit.

LOERetired

My Letter to the Governor

My letter to the Governor

Governor Scott Walker
P.O. Box 7863
Madison, WI 53707 November 5, 2010

Governor,

My letter today is about Wisconsin Statute 941.23 which has recently been found unconstitutional on its face by a Clark County Circuit Judge in "State v. Joshua D. Schultz, Clark County Case No. 10-CM-138" as overly broad in violation of Article I, Section 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution and the Second and Fourteenth Amendments of the United States Constitution.

The government’s interest in prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons is the State’s “police power to protect the health, safety, and welfare of its citizens.” See State v. Hamdan, 264 Wis. 2d 433, 463 (2003)”. Is the Promotion of health, safety, and welfare, of citizens an appropriate use of the police power? As the Governor, you must proceed to answer the question and determine if the power is appropriately used here.

Is sec. 941.23 narrowly tailored to achieve the State’s interest? The answer as Governor should clearly be “no.” In Hamdan, “the statute prohibits any person, except a peace officer, from carrying a concealed weapon, regardless of the circumstances, including pursuit of one of the lawful purposes enumerated in Article I, Section 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution.

In reading Hamdan the court went on to state that “we have described Wisconsin’s exceptionally restrictive scheme to show how it heightens the conflict between sec. 941.23 and the rights in Article I, Section 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution adding to the conflict is the fundamental rights set forth in the Second Amendment.
Wisconsin statute 941.23 prohibits judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, court staff and child support agency workers, and many more citizens that have received legitimate death threats from carrying a concealed weapon for personal safety.

Open carry or open display of a firearm is not a feasible alternative to concealed carry. Open carry can and has resulted in overzealous police and/or prosecutors charging disorderly conduct under sec. 947.01, Wis. Stats., for what the court considers the lawful open carrying and display of handguns.
The argument that this will not happen with reasonable prosecutors has already been proven wrong. See the Wisconsin State Journal article, at the following citation: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/loc...cc4c002e0.html This article details how five men were issued disorderly conduct citations for eating at a Culver’s restaurant while having firearms in holsters in plain view.

Thus, while the State has an interest in public safety, sec. 941.23 is unconstitutional because it is not narrowly tailored to achieve the State’s interest nor is it the least restrictive means for achieving that interest.

In essence, no State shall abridge the privileges and immunities of citizens of the United States. The right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right, not created by the Second Amendment, but secured or recognized by it. The right to keep and bear arms is therefore not to be abridged by any State law. Sec. 941.23 must also fail under the application of the Fourteenth Amendment and must be repealed.

Don Marso