• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone (else) been charged with Carrying a Concealed Weapon while OCing?

hotrod08

Van-camp and Meechum work together. Know the work of both of them, looking for a specific 2nd amendment strong attorney at the time... and might've found one! Thanks for the advice though!

No Problem, Good luck.

chiefjason

The magistrate says that the reason the didn't try to bring me to the jail for falsification of records (they seriously didn't believe I got a permit from the SD) was because he wouldn't have signed off on anything of the sort.

Purchase permit? Are the lunatics running the asylum? What if you were from out of state, or out of county? That's really stretching it to try and find something. After that, I'm surprised they did not pursue GATTTOTP. I also have reservations about most law suits. But once I have been illegally detained, charged, and my private property seized I think I would loose those reservations. Your call though. Good luck.

calynn

Yeah, after they realized that I COULD (and did) buy the gun legally, they were trying to say that the only reason the sheriff issued the permit was because I was buying from my step-dad, but I was buying from him after he and my mother split... they said I'd falsified records since I'd said on my application that I was buying from my step-dad? Haha, right. They were just fishing. The Sheriff said not to worry, I was legit and won't be hearing anything from the SD, and that he'd tell the arresting PD the same thing.

But once I have been illegally detained, charged, and my private property seized I think I would loose those reservations.

They are lost. I tried to help them out, but since I didn't have a badge, I don't know the laws?! Wouldn't be as pissed if they hadn't seized my gun. :(

J_Oliver

The more officers that lose jobs, get suspended and are made into examples for not knowing or deliberately making up/changing laws, the less they'll try and arrest us for exercising our rights. Make an example out of him and keep us posted. You have ALL our support.

Dreamer

Several city police departments in WV have tried this bit of silliness--charging people with CC when they were OCing, and justifying it by saying that the gun couldn't be seen from the specific angle they were first viewing the person. In every case, they were thrown out by the judge, because when questioned about how the officer knew the accused was "carrying concealed", they responded that they saw it in a holster on their hip in plain view. To which the judge would respond, more or less, "Case Dismissed"...

When it goes to court (and your case SHOULD go to court), all you need to do is ask the officer four questions, and the judge, one question:

1) What is the plaintiff charged with? (he will say, CC without a permit)

2) How did you know his was carrying a firearm? (he will say "well, I saw it...)

3) How was it being carried? (he will have to say, in a holster, on his hip)

4) Was it covered by a garment, coat, foreign object, or other means that prevented you from identifying it as a firearm? (he will say no)

5) Your honor, I ask that this case be dismissed, because this charge is invalid under NC statute and case law.

End of discussion. End of case. Case dismissed...

Then, the VERY next thing you need to do is have your lawyer file a Federal 1983 civil rights violation suit against the INDIVIDUAL officer as an individual. He WILL NOT have "qualified immunity" because his actions were knowingly outside the law, and he filed false charges, violated your civil rights, and lied about the nature of several NC statutes in his police report. Filing fee for a Federal 1983 suit is only $300...

You should be able to buy a VERY nice new handgun with the judgment you get from him.

And hopefully he will be gracing the unemployment office with his un-badged presence very soon...

And after you get HIM as an individual, you should petition the NC main office of the FBI to charge this Department for going along with his fraudulent, illegal activities under RICO statutes in Federal Courts, because the fact that this charge hasn't been summarily tossed by his shift supervisor or the DA is clear evidence of an "organized criminal conspiracy"...

Last edited:

sultan62

Several city police departments in WV have tried this bit of silliness--charging people with CC when they were OCing, and justifying it by saying that the gun couldn't be seen from the specific angle they were first viewing the person. In every case, they were thrown out by the judge, because when questioned about how the officer knew the accused was "carrying concealed", they responded that they saw it in a holster on their hip in plain view. To which the judge would respond, more or less, "Case Dismissed"...

When it goes to court (and your case SHOULD go to court), all you need to do is ask the officer four questions, and the judge, one question:

2) How did you know his was carrying a firearm? (he will say "well, I saw it...)

4) Was it covered by a garment, coat, foreign object, or other means that prevented you from identifying it as a firearm? (he will say no)

5) Your honor, I ask that this case be dismissed, because this charge is invalid under NC statute and case law.

Then, the VERY next thing you need to do is have your lawyer file a Federal 1983 civil rights violation suit against the INDIVIDUAL officer as an individual. He WILL NOT have "qualified immunity" because his actions were knowingly outside the law, and he filed false charges, violated your civil rights, and lied about the nature of several NC statutes in his police report. Filing fee for a Federal 1983 suit is only $300...

You should be able to buy a VERY nice new handgun with the judgment you get from him.

And hopefully he will be gracing the unemployment office with his un-badged presence very soon...

And after you get HIM as an individual, you should petition the NC main office of the FBI to charge this Department for going along with his fraudulent, illegal activities under RICO statutes in Federal Courts, because the fact that this charge hasn't been summarily tossed by his shift supervisor or the DA is clear evidence of an "organized criminal conspiracy"...

Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

boyscout399

In Maine Three years ago I got charged with carrying a concealed weapon while open carrying. Charges were thrown out by the DA immediately after they assigned her to the case.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In Maine Three years ago I got charged with carrying a concealed weapon while open carrying. Charges were thrown out by the DA immediately after they assigned her to the case.

Such stories never fail to amaze me.

Was your weapon confiscated and if so did you get it back promptly?

Trust you took the opportunity to reeducate the officer and his department fully.

calynn

I ought to just hire you on as my representation!!! Great info/advice!

boyscout399

Such stories never fail to amaze me.

Was your weapon confiscated and if so did you get it back promptly?

Trust you took the opportunity to reeducate the officer and his department fully.

I've talked about my stories in my threads in the Maine forum and don't want to hijack this one. But yes they confiscated the firearm. It took a lot of work to get it back and they didn't give it back until a month after the charges were dismissed and I had to threaten lawsuit for them to return it.

elixin77

IANAL, however, what Dreamer said should work. Point out the absurdity of the situation to the judge, and you should be able to walk free... to go sign the documents that Dreamer also mentioned about bringing a suit against the officer individually

calynn

Apparently what I went through really isn't that bad :)uhoh:).. have had two lawyers say that it would be hard to make anything out of a civil case. One is looking at doing it, says he'll let me know soon. Anyone know a good 2nd amend lawyer?

lockman

State Researcher
Apparently what I went through really isn't that bad :)uhoh:).. have had two lawyers say that it would be hard to make anything out of a civil case. One is looking at doing it, says he'll let me know soon. Anyone know a good 2nd amend lawyer?

The actual violation would be a 14th amendment case, with 1A,2A & 4A aspects.

jerz_subbie

Dreamer, I love the RICO idea! haha

The problem with finding representation is that cases like this aren't very easy and very few, if any, lawyers actually specialize in them. You need an aggressive, 2A friendly civil rights attorney. As the above poster said your issue isn't really that of the 2nd, but more of the 4th and 14th IMO.
I wish you the best of luck and keep after the good fight!

calynn

You need an aggressive, 2A friendly civil rights attorney. As the above poster said your issue isn't really that of the 2nd, but more of the 4th and 14th IMO.
I wish you the best of luck and keep after the good fight!

That's the problem. I can't find one! If anyone can help, please let me know!!!

jerz_subbie

Yeah, after they realized that I COULD (and did) buy the gun legally, they were trying to say that the only reason the sheriff issued the permit was because I was buying from my step-dad, but I was buying from him after he and my mother split... they said I'd falsified records since I'd said on my application that I was buying from my step-dad? Haha, right. They were just fishing. The Sheriff said not to worry, I was legit and won't be hearing anything from the SD, and that he'd tell the arresting PD the same thing.

They are lost. I tried to help them out, but since I didn't have a badge, I don't know the laws?! Wouldn't be as pissed if they hadn't seized my gun. :(

Sorry, I know this is a little off topic but I was discussing this issue with a LEO friend of mine. I haven't been able to find the statute that says the sheriff can issue a pistol purchase permit to someone under 21yo. Can someone point me towards it?