• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"I just don't want one, honestly."

AnderJaspo

My sister will be joining the military as an officer after she finishes ROTC at a major university. She's highly motivated, hard working and pretty conservative. But, when I talk to her about arming herself now that she's 21, her simple response was that she just doesn't want to carry/have a gun (while going about her everyday life, not military duty.)

Long story short, this really bugs me. I can't figure out if its silly to let something like this bother me so much, or not. I want her to see the virtue of being an armed citizen the way that I do, but I don't know how I could possibly convince her if she doesn't have the same interest in gun rights, politics, society, etc that I do. Or, if it's worth my time.

I hope this content is appropriate for this section of the forum. She and I are both originally from Wisconsin. I have been carrying since I got a CCW (I live in AZ at the moment) and open carry more and more often every week. This is one of the most active state threads on this forum and I think you guys from WI are the most familiar with the culture my sis and I inherited while growing up. Any advice from similar experiences you guys may have had would be much appreciated. Thanks.

protias

I don't know why this is in the WI section, but whatever. /shrug

Anyway, to answer your question, sometimes you just never know why people would not want to arm themselves for protection. Only until something bad happens to them or a loved one, do they start to consider it. I hope that never happens to your sister.

M

McX

I don't know why this is in the WI section, but whatever. /shrug

Anyway, to answer your question, sometimes you just never know why people would not want to arm themselves for protection. Only until something bad happens to them or a loved one, do they start to consider it. I hope that never happens to your sister.

agree with ol fog-horn completely.

protias

agree with ol fog-horn completely.
Who you calling Foghorn? :p

Foghorn_Leghorn.png

Interceptor_Knight

But, when I talk to her about arming herself now that she's 21, her simple response was that she just doesn't want to carry/have a gun .

Some people simply should not carry. Who has a better judgement than the person themselves if they are being honest and practical? Just one factor is that if you are not willing to draw and fire before someone would get to you, you should not carry as your weapon will just be used against yourself or another person at a later time.
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Some people do not want a firearm as a choice. Some people do not want to deal with the fallout from a shooting and choose to defend themselves other ways. Carrying is a major pain in the butt unless you can holster up at home and not remove it until you return. Not all persons are willing to deal with the dance required every time you enter and exit your vehicle.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I just don't want one either!

That's why I have many!

I'm completely pro-choice. If people don't want to have a gun, fine. Don't get one. Just don't do anything that removes the option from others! That way we all respect each other's choices.

Cobra469

My brother is the same way. While he recognizes that the LE can't be everywhere he also realizes that he would be either too reluctant to use a firearm anyhow or too eager. Either way he gets shafted. So his thought is that he would rather rely on the many other things in his house he can use as a weapon without all the legal fallout if he is too eager. One of his favorite things is all his construction tools scattered around his house. Nothing like getting a roofing hammer thrown at you followed by a drywall saw. Or maybe a handful of nails followed with flying staples.

Either way if the bad guy is not armed he is going to be hurting. If he is armed guess it is a good thing 3 cops live in his section of the building. Out and about he would never carry anyhow. His solution is to never go anywhere that might jeopardize the safety of his family. And yeah I know crime is everywhere.

On the other hand he isn't opposed to me storing any of my firearms at his house and leaving him some keys and ammo. So long as he has a way to properly store them under lock and key with the ammo separately stored. (I made sure to "store" a 9mm with him on Christmas last year when I went out of town. Still haven't "found time" to pick it up) ;P