• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video of Police Interation

FatboyCykes

The OCer was acting like a jackass by getting that damn close to the cop.
He was doing this to just piss the cop off,
this is no different than the **** stainless does to get attention brought to us.
He should not have approached the cop while the cop was stopping someone else.
Does not matter girlfriend or not he had ZERO business there.
He should have stayed across the street and waited not gone in and been a pretentious ass

Unnecessary personal attack, still got nothing better to do than to nurse that hard-on for Stainless?

lapeer20m

I agree with others that both party's acted improperly. Cameraman should have stayed on the other side of the street. The officer obviously has no ras and should not have detained the cameraman.

There is a Latin phrase that was recently used by a judge in a case involving recording of Leo: "Who will watch the watchmen?"

kryptonian

not to play armchair quarterback but i will anyway. first off anybody that has had that LEO confrontation with an officer exceeding their authority or tried to intimidate and just flat out lie to you i don't know anybody that has looked back and said they handled it perfectly. my one and only bad confrontation i relive and slap myself for stuff i should have said. i should have been more prepared and know much more now than i did. common sense advice - KNOW THE LAW!!! i will comment on this video and confrontations in general -
1) have to question the idea of walking up to officer at the traffic stop. the weapon was holstered and the open carry legal opinions determine that in itself isn't a visual threat but the officer was correct in telling him to back away and question his motives.
2) the guy sounded like he was making stuff up as he spoke. even if he was right he probably needed to sound more knowledgeable. when he asked officers questions he knew the answer to he allowed them to dodge the questions.
3) he did walk away from the initial traffic stop. the second meeting was after the officer followed him and started when he turned around and videotaped the officer's car. the officer may have left without incident.

one statement the guy made that i liked was that he valued his privacy. saving that one. i should probably make LEO contact flash cards with all their coersion tactics and the answer to give them. somebody would take offense to my answers i'm sure. the negative contacts are getting less and less as education for officers is given. LEO i talked to at a funeral said their department told them to leave OC alone unless called to investigate. they don't want a quarter mil $ lawsuit (his figure) for harrasing someone NOT commiting a crime. too many videos, camphones, digital recorders, public access to national propoganda media outlets (facebook, twitter, etc.) they don't want to fight PR battles.

my suggestions for any similar contacts -
if you ask a question don't let them evade it. refuse to discuss anything further until the answer is given - "i'm not commiting any criminal offenses am i?" "well sir we are checking on that and your out here blah blah.." "you didn't answer the question. do you not know the law? you should. it's your job. i know it. i can help you if you need it. i need an answer to my question before we can proceed." once you get them to admit you are not in violation of any laws then that ends their involvement as officers and any detention beyond that is on shaky ground after it has been verbalized.
show or not show ID - i have showed my ID once when requested by oakland county sheriff deputy. he asked if i would mind showing it and said he knew i didn't have to show it. i had nothing to hide so i showed DL, CPL and handgun green registration card. i never have once heard of an officer checking the serial numbers of the weapons against any records or registrations. he looked at my card but didn't match it to the gun. my bad LEO encounter the officer didn't ask and i wouldn't have shown it anyway to that unprofessional officer. if you choose not to show then up front state that you KNOW the state doesn't require it and you choose to take the option not to. this will save all the "we need to verify you're not a felon blah blah.." stay with the statement that you know the law and are not going to do whatever isn't mandatory and don't allow any attempts to get around it. state it once and tell them to move on and your answer was given. not giving a reason doesn't negate your right to deny anything be it search, ID, or anything requiring consent. if they ask you questions then doubt your answers tell them not to ask anymore questions if they aren't going to take your answers as fact. this makes the questions futile and can only serve to give them more RAS. i point out that it is the laws of the state we live in and you are an officer in this state restricted to those laws you swore an oath to uphold. if an officer was smart he would judge if you drove to where you are and just wait for you to get in your car then ID you then.
i suggest telling them at any confrontation that you are a legal citizen of this country, a michigan resident (not necessary to OC) in a place i am legally entitled to be, not a felon, sober and not on any legal or illegal substance and legally open carrying my handgun registered to me all in compliance with michigan law. that having been said it establishes your knowledge of your situation and tells him you are ready to defend any attempts to upend your determination. it leaves nowhere to go legally for him. i would think most officers would just know they are not going to sway you and just establish your are OC and leave the call.
coming home from work years ago i was stopped several times by farmington hills police always by 2 units. where am i going? where was i coming from? i was in my work shirt, jacket, lanyard with company logo around my neck with work ID on it. what time do you get off work? you're acting nervous - that makes me suspect there is something illegal in your vehicle. can we search your vehicle? no you can't. why not? that tells us you are hiding something. we will get drug sniffing dogs, search warrants, etc. why did you stop me? we'll tell you later. just fishing attempts by them. i learned to ask if i was being stopped persuant to a specific reported criminal event that me or my vehicle match or you just fishing? once they admitted fishing then all questions went out the window. thank you have a good day. why was i stopped? ahhh..we have to go. drive careful. wait. why was i stopped? vroom...screeeech. bye. lesson learned.
ok i wrote enough. any comments let me know.

jtrider

Theres a lot to learned from that video. Good and bad. First off, the guy with the camera is on a mission. He will take risks to attain his goal, that being to expose behaviors of police officers. He is a professional activist.

The "camera guy" is Pete Eyre, a well educated and renown civil rights advocate. He attended grad school for law enforcement at the University of Minnesota at Mankato.
Following Graduation, he interned at the Cato Institute. He is no stranger to civil rights activism, or the consequences of waving red flags in front of proverbial bulls.

The video in this thread, showing the interaction with Santa Fe, NM police was the first submission to the police monitoring / accountability site Cop Block.org, of which Eyre is a team member.

As far as "approaching the cop from the rear", if the cop missed the vehicle Eyres pulled up in, the cop needs a seeing eye dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoEE7hvm4Zw&feature=player_embedded

I feel it safe to say the policeman was aware of Pete Eyres arrival on the scene.

Considering the high-jinks that eyres and Company has been involved in across the country, if the local police had my girlfriend stopped in an off-the-beaten-path location, I would have done the same....arrived like the Cavalry, with camera and any distraction I could legally come up with to get her out of harms way. This was NOT a planned interaction with police. It was a rescue mission to make sure Eyres girlfriend did not fall victim to any police wrongdoing in retaliation for any rebel-rousing Eyres and company had been up to.

http://www.youtube.com/user/motorhomediaries

http://www.libertyontour.com/

budlight

He attended grad school for law enforcement at the University of Minnesota at Mankato.
Following Graduation, he interned at the Cato Institute.

Well it doesn't look like he learned much in grad school. If he really studied law enforcement I'm sure there were a number of topics covered regarding traffic stops and the dangers officers face when conducting one. Also people who have been to grad school can usually show more confidence on speaking to a topic they studied. I think a newbie OCer could have spoken better.

One thing I have noticed that as time goes on, more and more people are graduating college with fancy degrees, but don't even have basic common sense.

Last edited:

jtrider

Well it doesn't look like he learned much in grad school. If he really studied law enforcement I'm sure there were a number of topics covered regarding traffic stops and the dangers officers face when conducting one.

One thing I have noticed that as time goes on, more and more people are graduating college with fancy degrees, but don't have basic common sense.

Are your statements truly a conclusion regarding his knowledge, or an observation regarding his willingness to take risks?

As far as "approaching a law officer", can you cite anything that can support that they are unapproachable? The officer is not performing brain surgery here. He is writing a ticket. He was approached by someone who had just came out of a 34 foot long canary yellow motor home that had just pulled up and stopped. The law man was aware of the camera guy's presence. To say otherwise is to imply the cop has the observation and comprehension abilities of a coal bucket. [While these implications may or may not be true, they are not very nice to imply]

Once again, this incident was not a typical, planned, staged interaction with police. It was a impromptu attempt to distract the police from his girlfriend, who he believed might harm her in retaliation for Ayeres radical public dissent regarding police un-accountability. This was not planned. Girlfriend calls, reports where the Santa Fe PD had her stopped. This group has arrest records that span the entire country. To date, charges have been dismissed or reduced to petty misdemeanors. I do understand and respect his concern for the people in his life that police might target in an attempt at vengeance. If you can pry open your eyes wide enough to consider that scenario, you may see the entire incident an act of self sacrifice to protect someone innocent.

Police are trained and encouraged to lie and deceive, as we saw on the video. What would they be willing to do in the absence of anything or anyone to keep them accountable? In the same situation, I think I would have gone to any length to get the girlfriend out of the picture and taken my chances with the police. I might have a hard time living with myself if I stood by and did nothing while the police without any accountability had my girlfriend, instilling who knows what kind of viciousness, all due to knowing me.

While the entire incident was over the top, and nothing I would be quick witted enough to engineer and pull off myself, I think there are some things that can be gleaned from the video that we all can use if we need to.

budlight

I’m not going to spend anymore time debating this one. IMO he is a college educated idiot. He may have all the text books memorized, but doesn’t know how to apply them in the real world to police work. I think both he and the officer were wrong, but the biggest mistake was getting too close to the officer conducting official business.

If he is so concerned about his girlfriend’s welfare and the police, maybe he should install a hidden camera and recorder in her car as he might not be able to make it in time for the next encounter. On a side note I think he is just paranoid given the fact that he wasn’t in the car, and she would have a different last name then him. I really doubt the cop had her linked to him until possibly when he showed up.

If my wife or girlfriend called me and said she just got stopped for a traffic violation I would not be concerned. If she disagreed with the ticket she could have her day in court. My family and friends are law abiding citizens who don’t go out looking for trouble or attention, which in turn we don’t have any police officers looking to harass us.

While there are some bad officers out there, I am more concerned about the thugs roaming the streets looking to rape, rob, steal, etc.

Fuller Malarkey

I’m not going to spend anymore time debating this one. IMO he is a college educated idiot. He may have all the text books memorized, but doesn’t know how to apply them in the real world to police work. I think both he and the officer were wrong, but the biggest mistake was getting too close to the officer conducting official business.

If he is so concerned about his girlfriend’s welfare and the police, maybe he should install a hidden camera and recorder in her car as he might not be able to make it in time for the next encounter. On a side note I think he is just paranoid given the fact that he wasn’t in the car, and she would have a different last name then him. I really doubt the cop had her linked to him until possibly when he showed up.

If my wife or girlfriend called me and said she just got stopped for a traffic violation I would not be concerned. If she disagreed with the ticket she could have her day in court. My family and friends are law abiding citizens who don’t go out looking for trouble or attention, which in turn we don’t have any police officers looking to harass us.

While there are some bad officers out there, I am more concerned about the thugs roaming the streets looking to rape, rob, steal, etc.

Thankfully, I am not obligated to buy into your opinion. If I lived on the edge like this guy, I'd be looking out for my family too.

I make no secret that I am anti-law enforcement, and pro-peace keeper. If I need to explain the difference between the two, you probably wouldn't understand.

Bailenforcer

I have an idea! Let's make some wine with all these sour grapes..... :p

eb31

Uh,....Ok....so you see a LEO during a traffic stop and decide to go bug him with a camera? This guy was/is looking for trouble. This type of activity makes OCers look like troublemakers. Not cool.

Exactly. Most of these dolts around here don't want to see that though. They think they are acthally doing good. Idiots.