• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video of Police Interation

Scooter

Uh,....Ok....so you see a LEO during a traffic stop and decide to go bug him with a camera? This guy was/is looking for trouble. This type of activity makes OCers look like troublemakers. Not cool.

Michigander

Uh,....Ok....so you see a LEO during a traffic stop and decide to go bug him with a camera? This guy was/is looking for trouble. This type of activity makes OCers look like troublemakers. Not cool.

In terms of political correctness, you may have a point. But we aren't exactly a group of people that adheres to political correctness.

In terms of keeping our hired servants in check, no, this is an appropriate decision to make.

Coded-Dude

i've seen this one. interesting to say the least. he does claim that was his GF being pulled over.

Last edited:

FatboyCykes

Seriously, how dare he film a public servant doing what we the tax payers pay him to do, in public. What a jerk this guy is...

OR

These cops are both power tripping fools.

P.s. According to many, simply OCing makes us "look" like trouble makers, soooooooooo, meh.

Bailenforcer

With that twist of logic, you should write for a liberal news site.

It's high time we start watching them.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
He should NOT have approached the traffic stop. He should have kept his distance and recorded from the sidewalk across the street.

And he doesn't sound to bright.

a little fail for everyone....

The cop sounded pretty ignorant of the law also.

Last edited:

Coded-Dude

yes one could come to the conclusion that the guy was baiting the cop a bit. even if he wasn't carrying a gun, he instigated the interaction by walking right up to the stop with the camera. once the cops sees the gun, he decides he doesn't like whats happening and decides to go above and beyond his authority to get a little respect back(but the suspect knew enough to keep them at bay).

scot623

Not smart to get so close to a scene like that. But...I give the guy props for asking if he was being detained and when he did not receive a response in the affirmative, he calmly explained he was leaving and did so. Nicely done on that point.

Haman J.T.

yes one could come to the conclusion that the guy was baiting the cop a bit. even if he wasn't carrying a gun, he instigated the interaction by walking right up to the stop with the camera. once the cops sees the gun, he decides he doesn't like whats happening and decides to go above and beyond his authority to get a little respect back(but the suspect knew enough to keep them at bay).
Camera or not,he walked up on a situation with his GF to make sure everything was kosher.I would,and so would you,if it was your wife or loved one.Notice how the cop kept saying it was his?The public streets are OURs!It was the same "it's mine" thinking that leads them to say "I need your ID to know who you are"!He was fighting for his freedom and ours.It's that simple!

Coded-Dude

If that is the case, end of story...then why did he stay on foot and continue walking around? Why didn't he initially respoond with that is my girlfriend and i have every right to be right here(or in teh car with her)? I would have handled the situation differently, but to each his own.

Last edited:

Rob Washeleski

Dougwg,

Just curious, what leads you to think he doesn't sound very bright? He said what he needed to and kept his mouth shut otherwise, which is pretty much how my last stop went. I get that saying the same thing over and over doesn't sound the best, but when you are arguing with a cop that is trying to get you to waive your rights, that is kind of how it works out. At no point did the first cop offer any explanation, just the "my scene, my safety" argument over and over, ignoring any of his questions. I should go back and count how many times his question of "am I required to show ID" was asked and unanswered. The few times I have been stopped I feel that I have appeared inarticulate to bystanders but I just refuse to explain myself to the police. I imagine a casual onlooker to expects me to tell the cop who I am, where I am going, where I came from, do I have a CPL, why I am carrying, etc., but I don't do that anymore.

-Rob

Scooter

In terms of political correctness, you may have a point. But we aren't exactly a group of people that adheres to political correctness.

In terms of keeping our hired servants in check, no, this is an appropriate decision to make.

Ya, I have to disagree. She was pulled over for breaking a law (stupid law? maybe so) It looks like he didn't like it and decided to get involved and maybe stir things up. Sure the cop was clueless on OC, still no excuse for the initial actions. As others have said, he could have stayed where he was.
Honestly, if I noticed my wife pulled over by a LEO I would observe from across the street and get the story afterward.
This all looks like: "HEY! You caught my girl doin' something and I'm mad! I'm gonna get in your face and let you know 'I'm watching you buddy' and I dare you to do something about me OCing." Both parties look kinda dumb on this one.

"Bailenforcer
With that twist of logic, you should write for a liberal news site."

That is really funny, my wife even laughed at that one!

TheQ

I just saw this video on a friend's facebook profile. I'm surprised the police let him walk in the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTzzdPVLn2o

+1

I see no problem with a citizen observing and recording the administration of "Justice" so long as he is not actively interfering with the stop. I did not see this fellow interfere.

We all need to keep a close eye on the hired help, even if that isn't part of the social norm.

Edited to add: I've taped someone else's stop before. It was an MSP detaining a black man on the sidewalk. I watched from about 50' away. You never know if what you're watching will turn into the next Rodney King.

Haman J.T.

Dougwg,

Just curious, what leads you to think he doesn't sound very bright? He said what he needed to and kept his mouth shut otherwise, which is pretty much how my last stop went. I get that saying the same thing over and over doesn't sound the best, but when you are arguing with a cop that is trying to get you to waive your rights, that is kind of how it works out. At no point did the first cop offer any explanation, just the "my scene, my safety" argument over and over, ignoring any of his questions. I should go back and count how many times his question of "am I required to show ID" was asked and unanswered. The few times I have been stopped I feel that I have appeared inarticulate to bystanders but I just refuse to explain myself to the police. I imagine a casual onlooker to expects me to tell the cop who I am, where I am going, where I came from, do I have a CPL, why I am carrying, etc., but I don't do that anymore.

-Rob
Exactly!LEO's can demand all they want,and the majority of the uneducated(firearm law,ID law,etc. etc.)folks don't know their rights,and therefore SUBMIT to their demands!It's hard to talk to LEO's who don't know the law and demand your submission,and that guy did great.I think his knowledge of the law and the camera is the exact reason he wasn't illegaly arrested on some bogus charge,which LEO's do take advantage of regularly.Thats the CROC in this situation!

Onnie

Had this guy did exactly the same thing, WITHOUT his weapon, the officer may have pointed his attention to the video camera more and demanded he shut it off.

We have seen it happened (on TV Cops and those kind of shows) people getting up close and personal all the time when a cop is doing his duty, and the cop orders them to back off and in most cases they do and thats that.....

I can see the cops point when he orders the guy back, the copy has no idea who he is and the guy obeys without question. Then the cop takes it to the next level by calling backup and following they OCer and they stopping him to get his ID

whats the harm, "we only want to make sure you are NOT a felon", sure, and write a report so he can get his CPL cancelled or suspended at the least!

There was a time when most people, myself included would have just given him their ID...but since being a member of MOC I may just have to resist that unlawful order then smirk all the way home.

Fuller Malarkey

If that is the case, end of story...then why did he stay on foot and continue walking around? Why didn't he initially respoond with that is my girlfriend and i have every right to be right here(or in teh car with her)? I would have handled the situation differently, but to each his own.

Because if he had returned to the motor home or got into the car with his girlfriend, he would have been out of the public view, and out of view of any potential witnesses had the police decided to administer any off record civics lessons. He is safer in public view. The objective is invoke your rights, not end up a police statistic. "Officer safety", "failure to comply" are the new catch phrases for "contempt of cop". It is harder to make these allegations with witnesses. It is harder to justify beatings, taser incidents and shootings. Staying in high visual impact areas is a very defensive move when dealing with someone who may violate your rights and person in less conspicuous
locations, like inside a motor home, or in the rear of a parking lot.
Had he returned to the motor home he arrived in, the police may have found "probable cause" to search his motor home, or the car. He led them away from anything they might damage or impound, or "search". While a little rough around the edges, there is a lot to be learned from the video.

Gunslinger

Interesting. I would have stayed further away from the cop, but kept on filming if not personally involved, but would have walked right up to the car had it been my wife and asked if she was ok. If the cop said to get back, I would have entered the car and kept filming. As to not rolling over and showing his ID when there was no lawful duty to do so, good for him. He handled that very well, although he was nervous, clearly. The cops obviously knew they had no grounds to detain him, and with it all on video, thought better about violating the law for their egos' sake.