• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in place serving/selling alcohol, permission needed

GlockRDH

Im thinking of organizing an 'OC Dinnner' at MY favorite rib joint in the Madison area...Since OC is ALLOWED if permission is granted, can that permission be granted in a 'blanket' way or does each individual need a 'signed note' from the proper person at that establishment?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
YES, we can carry in establishments that serve alcohol

and I and many others have done it many times.

Here is a link to a form that a WCI member made: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/carrypermissionsliprev5.pdf

The form (if printed in duplex) has all the relevant statutes on the back.

I (licensee/owner/manager) here by authorize "all attendees of the special open carry dinner"

Have then specify the date, and a time (4:00PM to 9:00PM). Make sure no handguns in the place until after 4:00, and all handguns are out before 9:00. Could also be 4-10 if you wanted.

If they sign it, have fun and enjoy!

Carry On.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
..thats what im wondering...not sure if this has been actually defined as to what constitutes permission... a sign in sheet would be OK with me...

No need for "registration" or a sign in sheet. Just have the owner/manager sign the form and you should be good to go.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
As usual amateurs get it wrong. The permission is for a "specific event" and "of limited duration" and by the particular "owner or manager who is issued" the license.
(g) The possession or use of a handgun on the premises if authorized for a specific event of limited duration by the owner or manager of the premises who is issued the Class “B” or “Class B” license or permit under ch. 125 for the premises.

MKEgal

Madison, guns and ribs... just think of the totality of the situation.

As long as I'm not ending up with guns in my ribs.
Either way, that could be messy.

As for the original question, when we did the BBC lunch at Thunder Bay Grill we didn't have a sign-in sheet. IIRC, Nik got blanket permission from the manager for all of us to attend. PM him to see how he did it.

Motofixxer

Well don't unholster while your ribs are in front of you, therefore eliminating the possibility of mixing sidearm and ribs. Then there is the possibility of a gun in your ribs from an over aggressive person dressed in black and wearing a shiny metal ID tag while making illegal demands. All this while he is considering the totality of the circumstances that can't be defined or articulated. That situation is well...impossible to avoid the possibility.

MKEgal

My concern is bbq sauce. IF id have to draw my weapon, its going to get messy!

I understand. Good ribs require a bath afterwards (and this from someone who almost never eats pork).

What would be even worse is having the BBQ-encrusted pistol confiscated by the men in black (who are considering the totality of the circumstances of you defending yourself), and it sitting in evidence that way for who knows how long. Glocks can take a lot of abuse, that's one reason they're a popular service weapon, but an extended period of BBQ immersion might take its toll.