Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man arrested with firearms in vehicle in DC

Man arrested with firearms in vehicle in DC

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cri...rrested-o.html

Interesting since they were in a camper and he appears to be traveling.

I couldn't help but laugh a little at one of the comments:
    "Could this be the Marine buildings' shooter?"

At least one commenter gets it right:
    "yes, only criminals are allowed to have guns in DC, not tourists."

The vehicle was parked on the Mall, near the Air and Space Museum. A U.S. Park Police officer spotted something suspicious inside about 3:15 p.m., according to a Park Police spokesman.

The Mall was cordoned off between 4th and 7th Streets while authorities searched the vehicle.Sgt. David Schlosser of the Park Police said a handgun and several rifles were found.

A bomb disposal unit was sent to the scene, but no explosives were found.
    The whole second half of the story just screams fear and terror.

OMG there's something in that RV! Quick!...lock the place down and scramble the fighter jets!
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

"Unregistered ammunition"??? They have to register their ammo there? Seriously?

Moderator / Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SoLasVegas View Post
    term of art - you can only possess ammo that fits your registered gun.

However, FOPA applies - see full statute at 18 USC 926A and might be construed to apply to a short delay while traveling. There is a DC Ct. of App. case saying jury must be advised of validity of FOPA in DC.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-04-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    term of art - you can only possess ammo that fits your registered gun.
    Thanks for clarifying. I guess that's slightly less insane than actually having to register ammo.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess that's slightly less insane than actually having to register ammo.
    It's just as insane; only slightly less outrageous.

I want to know what the park ranger saw that looked suspicious to warrant a search of the vehicle?

Thumbs down

I commented:

It is DC, and it's draconian gun laws that are in the wrong here, not the person from Arizona which is a State that recognizes our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

How long will people keep letting Governments trample their rights? I hope that activist groups like the 2nd amendment foundation get involved with this case and challenge DC's laws. People in DC should be ashamed they let their government have so much power.

"This will be the best security for maintaining our liberties. A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
    DC makes me sick.
    Last edited by Walt_Kowalski; 11-04-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

well you know.....when it comes time to overthrow tyranny, DC will be safe because we can't take guns there. those politicians are damn smart aren't they?
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

DC is a Federal enclave that was granted home rule by Congress. They are still under control of Congress and this pit needs to be changed!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Each round is a FELONY!
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by uber_olafsun View Post
    i want to know what the park ranger saw that looked suspicious to warrant a search of the vehicle?
    Arizona tags

Guess this shows us that we should keep everything in our vehicles covered, and if you're driving an RV, pull the shades before you leave it parked somewhere.
    Of course, I'll never go to DC again (was there as a kid) unless they recognize my rights & don't infringe them. I'm not holding my breath.

Associated Press - November 4, 2010 6:34 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. Park Police say propane tanks wired to car batteries on a trailer parked on the National Mall led to an hourslong closure of traffic through the area.

Charging documents released Thursday state that an officer called in the bomb squad to the National Mall on Wednesday after he spotted the tanks, batteries and a generator with wires attached to it in the bed of the truck towing the trailer.

Police say truck owner 66-year-old James Patock of Marana, Ariz., who said he had been in the area for about two weeks, told them he had visited the NRA building and had guns in the trailer. Inside, police say they found firearms, ammunition, identification with different names, a laptop and cameras.

Patock is charged with carrying a pistol without a license and unregistered ammunition and firearms offenses.

The Metropolitan Police Department bomb squad was called in to investigate the truck and trailer. Shortly after, Patock told officers he had guns in the trailer, but it was home and stated he had a right to possess guns in his home.
    No bombs were found in the trailer, but a search found a .223 caliber rifle, a .243 caliber rifle barrel, a .22 caliber rifle, a .357 caliber pistol, and boxes of ammunition of various calibers. Patock did not have a license to carry the pistol in the District of Columbia, and none of the firearms were registered to him in D.C.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news...#ixzz14SCxq8ch

Methinks this guy's a goof

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news...-man-guns.html

http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=13448240

I live about 18 miles west of Marana. 'Never seen this guy before tho. No law against bein' a goof... but I dunno 'bout the veracity of the report.

This guy has messed with the primal forces. The D.C. gulag bears little resemblence to the rest of the U.S. in culture and temperment. At least he'll have a permanent home address for awhile. He'll be lucky if they don't put him under the jail.
    Last edited by Sonora Rebel; 11-04-2010 at 08:15 PM.

NRA and GOA headquarters are down the road from DC in Virginia. Might be a good idea for someone there to USE OUR MEMBERSHIP MONIES to send a Lawyer to help defend this poor sap. It appears he's about to be publicly hung by the anti gun forces in DC.

Banned
    Too bad his son in law isn't a federal agent or he isn't buddies with a congressman. Justice for all in D.C., as long as you have contacts.
    Last edited by kwikrnu; 11-04-2010 at 11:51 PM.

When I saw the "breaking news" on it yesterday, they kept exclaiming over a "vehicle packed with weapons".

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    Patock did not have a license to carry the pistol in the District of Columbia, and none of the firearms were registered to him in D.C.

This issue is perhaps the ONLY logical and reasonable reason that DC should be granted statehood...

Aa a "District," DC is not bound by the Interstate Commerce Clause, FOPA, or any other Federal or Constitutional laws that require states to treat out-of-staters fairly and under rule of law. Because of this, DC can charge you with things like "not registering guns in DC" when you're not a resident, and there are no provisions for non-residents to do so.

They also say he had no license to carry in DC... NOBODY has a "license to carry" in DC--they do NOT issue carry permits to citizens--PERIOD. There are NO provisions under DC Statute or Code to issue a permit to carry--openly or concealed, unless you have a badge, and even THEN, if you're from out-of-state, it can get pretty dicey, because according to DC Metro, they don't have to recognize LEOSA--because DC is not a state...

Also, the article says he volunteered info that he had firearms in his vehicle to the LEOs. Apparently, he doesn't know that his most important Constitutional Right when dealing with LEOs is ****...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 11-05-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    This issue is perhaps the ONLY logical and reasonable reason that DC should be granted statehood...

Aa a "District," DC is not bound by the Interstate Commerce Clause, FOPA, or any other Federal or Constitutional laws that require states to treat out-of-staters fairly and under rule of law. Because of this, DC can charge you with things like "not registering guns in DC" when you're not a resident, and there are no provisions for non-residents to do so.

They also say he had no license to carry in DC... NOBODY has a "license to carry" in DC--they do NOT issue carry permits to citizens--PERIOD. There are NO provisions under DC Statute or Code to issue a permit to carry--openly or concealed, unless you have a badge, and even THEN, if you're from out-of-state, it can get pretty dicey, because according to DC Metro, they don't have to recognize LEOSA--because DC is not a state...

Also, the article says he volunteered info that he had firearms in his vehicle to the LEOs. Apparently, he doesn't know that his most important Constitutional Right when dealing with LEOs is ****...
    DC is bound by FOPA. DC is trying to argue that FOPA is a 2A equivalent in the Palmer case. This guy obviously didn't know the gun laws and STOPPED in DC. At that point he lost any FOPA protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    Associated Press - November 4, 2010 6:34 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. Park Police say propane tanks wired to car batteries

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news...#ixzz14SCxq8ch
    That's weird, not safe, and probable cause to search in my books. Granted, he may have the right in his state to carry but when traveling, it's important to know the laws for the locations you are traveling to and final destination. Especially when we're talking about DC. I feel sorry for the guy, but I agree with the outcome in his case.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHILINVLN View Post
    Granted, he may have the right in his state to carry but when traveling, it's important to know the laws for the locations you are traveling to and final destination. Especially when we're talking about DC. I feel sorry for the guy, but I agree with the outcome in his case.
    The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless you have them stored in your camper in the District of Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    DC is bound by FOPA. DC is trying to argue that FOPA is a 2A equivalent in the Palmer case. This guy obviously didn't know the gun laws and STOPPED in DC. At that point he lost any FOPA protection.

From the US Code:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    DC is neither a State or a political subdivision of a State, therefore FOPA does not apply in the District of Columbia.

And if memory serves, we are still waiting for a ruling in "Palmer v. DC", and most likely, Judge Henry H. Kennedy will rule in some sort of back-door manner playing into the DC status quo of complying with case law by ignoring it.

Citations, FTW...

I'm not defending the anti-Constitutional status quo of the DC government and Courts. I'm just saying that the rules are different "inside he beltway" with the full knowledge and complicity of the Congress, and whether we like it or not, the codes and statutes of DC are on the books. They are illegal, unconstitutional, and immoral, but they are the law, and people who violate those statutes generally will be arrested, charged, and convicted--REGARDLESS of the fact that the statutes are criminal, immoral, and illegal.

Perhaps with the recent election turnover, we can get some of these illegal, immoral laws in DC changed, and Congress will start treating DC like the Federal City it is supposed to be, rather than the separatist nation-state they see themselves as...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 11-07-2010 at 11:47 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    From the US Code:

DC is neither a State or a political subdivision of a State, therefore FOPA does not apply in the District of Columbia.
    From your own Citation:

§ 921. Definitions
    (a) As used in this chapter—
    (2) ( . . . ) The term “State” includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast