• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested with firearms in vehicle in DC

hunter45

I couldn't help but laugh a little at one of the comments:
"Could this be the Marine buildings' shooter?"

At least one commenter gets it right:
"yes, only criminals are allowed to have guns in DC, not tourists."

Coded-Dude

The vehicle was parked on the Mall, near the Air and Space Museum. A U.S. Park Police officer spotted something suspicious inside about 3:15 p.m., according to a Park Police spokesman.

The Mall was cordoned off between 4th and 7th Streets while authorities searched the vehicle.Sgt. David Schlosser of the Park Police said a handgun and several rifles were found.

A bomb disposal unit was sent to the scene, but no explosives were found.

The whole second half of the story just screams fear and terror.

OMG there's something in that RV! Quick!...lock the place down and scramble the fighter jets!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
"Unregistered ammunition"??? They have to register their ammo there? Seriously?

term of art - you can only possess ammo that fits your registered gun.

However, FOPA applies - see full statute at 18 USC 926A and might be construed to apply to a short delay while traveling. There is a DC Ct. of App. case saying jury must be advised of validity of FOPA in DC.

Last edited:

Walt_Kowalski

I commented:

It is DC, and it's draconian gun laws that are in the wrong here, not the person from Arizona which is a State that recognizes our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

How long will people keep letting Governments trample their rights? I hope that activist groups like the 2nd amendment foundation get involved with this case and challenge DC's laws. People in DC should be ashamed they let their government have so much power.

"This will be the best security for maintaining our liberties. A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin

DC makes me sick.

Last edited:

Coded-Dude

well you know.....when it comes time to overthrow tyranny, DC will be safe because we can't take guns there. those politicians are damn smart aren't they? :mad:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
DC is a Federal enclave that was granted home rule by Congress. They are still under control of Congress and this pit needs to be changed!:banghead::cuss:

MKEgal

Guess this shows us that we should keep everything in our vehicles covered, and if you're driving an RV, pull the shades before you leave it parked somewhere.
Of course, I'll never go to DC again (was there as a kid) unless they recognize my rights & don't infringe them. I'm not holding my breath.

Fuller Malarkey

Associated Press - November 4, 2010 6:34 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. Park Police say propane tanks wired to car batteries on a trailer parked on the National Mall led to an hourslong closure of traffic through the area.

Charging documents released Thursday state that an officer called in the bomb squad to the National Mall on Wednesday after he spotted the tanks, batteries and a generator with wires attached to it in the bed of the truck towing the trailer.

Police say truck owner 66-year-old James Patock of Marana, Ariz., who said he had been in the area for about two weeks, told them he had visited the NRA building and had guns in the trailer. Inside, police say they found firearms, ammunition, identification with different names, a laptop and cameras.

Patock is charged with carrying a pistol without a license and unregistered ammunition and firearms offenses.

The Metropolitan Police Department bomb squad was called in to investigate the truck and trailer. Shortly after, Patock told officers he had guns in the trailer, but it was home and stated he had a right to possess guns in his home.
No bombs were found in the trailer, but a search found a .223 caliber rifle, a .243 caliber rifle barrel, a .22 caliber rifle, a .357 caliber pistol, and boxes of ammunition of various calibers. Patock did not have a license to carry the pistol in the District of Columbia, and none of the firearms were registered to him in D.C.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/12news/new...hington-dc-marana-man-guns.html#ixzz14SCxq8ch

Sonora Rebel

Methinks this guy's a goof

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/articles/2010/11/04/20101104washington-dc-marana-man-guns.html

http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=13448240

I live about 18 miles west of Marana. 'Never seen this guy before tho. No law against bein' a goof... but I dunno 'bout the veracity of the report.

This guy has messed with the primal forces. The D.C. gulag bears little resemblence to the rest of the U.S. in culture and temperment. At least he'll have a permanent home address for awhile. He'll be lucky if they don't put him under the jail.

Last edited:

GWbiker

NRA and GOA headquarters are down the road from DC in Virginia. Might be a good idea for someone there to USE OUR MEMBERSHIP MONIES to send a Lawyer to help defend this poor sap. It appears he's about to be publicly hung by the anti gun forces in DC.

Dreamer

Patock did not have a license to carry the pistol in the District of Columbia, and none of the firearms were registered to him in D.C.

This issue is perhaps the ONLY logical and reasonable reason that DC should be granted statehood...

Aa a "District," DC is not bound by the Interstate Commerce Clause, FOPA, or any other Federal or Constitutional laws that require states to treat out-of-staters fairly and under rule of law. Because of this, DC can charge you with things like "not registering guns in DC" when you're not a resident, and there are no provisions for non-residents to do so.

They also say he had no license to carry in DC... NOBODY has a "license to carry" in DC--they do NOT issue carry permits to citizens--PERIOD. There are NO provisions under DC Statute or Code to issue a permit to carry--openly or concealed, unless you have a badge, and even THEN, if you're from out-of-state, it can get pretty dicey, because according to DC Metro, they don't have to recognize LEOSA--because DC is not a state...

Also, the article says he volunteered info that he had firearms in his vehicle to the LEOs. Apparently, he doesn't know that his most important Constitutional Right when dealing with LEOs is STFU... :banghead:

Last edited: