• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Employee Vehicles

trooper46

Can private employers in Kentucky legally prohibit employees from keeping weapons in their own vehicles if they are parked on company property?

trooper46

Its not so much about whether I could get away with it. It's a matter of principle and them obeying the law. I distinctly recall reading a krs provision that prohibited them from punishing employees over it. Just wanted to confirm with you guys.

trooper46

Just now had time to go searching. Does this KRS apply?

237.106 Right of employees and other persons to possess firearms in vehicle -- Employer liable for denying right -- Exceptions.
(1) No person, including but not limited to an employer, who is the owner, lessee, or occupant of real property shall prohibit any person who is legally entitled to possess a firearm from possessing a firearm, part of a firearm, ammunition, or ammunition component in a vehicle on the property.
(2) A person, including but not limited to an employer, who owns, leases, or otherwise occupies real property may prevent a person who is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm or ammunition from possessing a firearm or ammunition on the property.
(3) A firearm may be removed from the vehicle or handled in the case of self-defense, defense of another, defense of property, or as authorized by the owner, lessee, or occupant of the property.
(4) An employer that fires, disciplines, demotes, or otherwise punishes an employee who is lawfully exercising a right guaranteed by this section and who is engaging in conduct in compliance with this statute shall be liable in civil damages. An employee may seek and the court shall grant an injunction against an employer who is violating the provisions of this section when it is found that the employee is in compliance with the provisions of this section.
(5) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any real property:
(a) Owned, leased, or occupied by the United States government, upon which the possession or carrying of firearms is prohibited or controlled;
(b) Of a detention facility as defined in KRS 520.010; or
(c) Where a section of the Kentucky Revised Statutes specifically prohibits possession or carrying of firearms on the property.
Effective:

langzaiguy

You got it right, Trooper! No employer can prohibit weapons from an employee's vehicle....unless your employer is the Federal govt. I have heard of Toyota prohibiting weapons in their parking lot due to it being zoned as an "international trade zone". Don't know if there's truth to that or not.

trooper46

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I've been contracted as a security guard at a company that specifically told me I may not have any weapons in my vehicle. I've asked my contracting company to move me to a different location but they need to obey the law regardless. Plus in the event I can't transfer, I want to make sure the law protects my god given rights to defend myself.

aadvark

Kentucky Revised Statute 237.106 works to Preclude the Enactment of any Policy pertaining to Lawful Firearm or Ammunition Possesion as against The Employee by any such action by your Employer, unless your Employer can prove one of the exceptions enumerated under this Statute.
Kentucky Revised Statute 237.106 allows such Carry Restricitons when: 1. The Property is Controlled by The Federal Government, 2. The Property is a Detention Center as defined by KRS 520.010, 3. When Kentucky Revised Statutes specifically provides otherwise (not clearly defined), or 4. Such Person is Prohibited from Owning, Possessing, Carrying, Transfering, or Transporting Firearms or Ammuntion under Federal or State Law.
Pursuant to KRS 237.106(4), one CAN pursue Damages, AND Pursuant to KRS 237.106(3) one can also Utilize such Firearm and Ammuniton for Self-Defense purposes.