Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Gun Rights Survey Launched - Please Respond :)

Michigan Gun Rights Survey Launched - Please Respond :)

Hi Everyone -

So as many (most?) of you know, I am writing my PhD dissertation on Michigan's very active gun-rights community. This is not least because of the open carry movement in Michigan...

As part of this research, I've developed an online survey for gun-rights enthusiasts and activists. It is up and running at:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/michigangunrights

The survey asks questions about your background with firearms, activism, gun-rights politics, open carry versus conceal carry and demographics. Even if I've already interviewed you, I'd greatly appreciate if you'd be willing to take the time to do this survey. It is a little long, but since there is so little good data out there on gun-rights activists, I strongly believe that your time will be well-spent.

If you have any questions about me, you can check out my (not super updated) blog at secondsmatter.blogspot.com. You can also see me on a few of the Saturday Afternoon Shootout shows if you feel like digging around on Flint Talk Radio's website. And of course, you can always PM me with any questions you might have!

Also, I would *greatly* appreciate it if you'd be willing to send out the link to your activist friends (there is a survey question on how people learned about the survey, so I should be able to track this, but please feel free to keep me updated on who you are sending it along to, as well). Also, if you run a blog or news site and you'd be willing to post the link, I'd be happy to send you a short write-up of my project (as well as be ever so grateful!).

Jennifer

Filled out and sent.

There were a couple on there that I didn't feel were relevant, and I didn't fill out, which knowing this forum will be a reoccurring sentiment. But I encourage everyone who hasn't already met Jennifer from an interview or an event to note that she is trying her best to do an honest take on gun rights activism. It isn't an effort to dig up personal information, or an effort to make us look stupid. Just an unprecedented effort to show the academic world the truth about gun rights.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Done! Let us know what you come up with!

I'm assuming you would like to keep respondants from Michigan, correct?

One of my other regular forums also has a Michigan section but I can make sure to let others know not to fill it out if they're outside of MI.

Bronson
    Last edited by Bronson; 11-05-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Banned
    Ok, I'll take a look. Thanks Michigander, for helping to establish some credibility here.

Banned
    Good survey, thanks.

Says it takes 40 minutes, It only took just under 20. You should edit the 40 min thing, puts people off.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 11-05-2010 at 12:34 AM.

it should take less than 15mins. but some folks may be on dialup
    "Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
    ,,, So Mote Be

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.-- JC

DONE!

And YES, Jennifer is very credible. She has been on SAS a number of times explaining what she is doing to further the understanding of gun rights and why we carry.

I left some blanks also, IMO, not relevant to the info needed.

All in all, good survey Jennifer.

Good luck

Done! Hope it helps
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Done! I would Like to see what you do with this info when you are done please thanks!
    Last edited by quarter horseman; 11-05-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    I took it as well. I encourage all Michigan Residents to take this survey. Jennifer needs a large sample size to better make her conclusions and to be statistically significant.

As for the follow up, her dissertation should be available from the university she is attending. She also may post specific portions of her work on-line.

She also has a blog page here http://secondsmatter.blogspot.com/20...-story-of.html
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Done. I think it is a good thing to collect data like this to see a big picture of the national mindset concerning firearm rights. unfortunately I think this may be a bit of a biased sampling. I wish her the best in her efforts.

I took the survey. I know I'm being a bit nit-picky here, but you should fix some the grammatical/spelling errors in the introduction to the survey. It doesn't look very good on your behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    Done. I think it is a good thing to collect data like this to see a big picture of the national mindset concerning firearm rights. unfortunately I think this may be a bit of a biased sampling. I wish her the best in her efforts.
    Most likely, she is attempting quasi-qualitative research... a focus on the group rather than recursive abstraction. Her qualitative research would therefore be used to gather an in-depth understanding of firearm owners/OCers as a group and the reasons that govern their behavior. The focus being on "the why" and "how" of OC, not just what, where, when. Therefore, smaller, focused samples are used.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Done. Took about 15 minutes.

Completed, 1 question left unanswered, about 20 min.

Done! Took me about 25 minutes (I had much to write) lol
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I'm assuming you would like to keep respondants from Michigan, correct?

One of my other regular forums also has a Michigan section but I can make sure to let others know not to fill it out if they're outside of MI.

Bronson
    Yup, I'm only looking at Michigan. But it isn't a disaster if non-Michigan people fill it out; there is a question about residency, and so I can easily remove the non-Michigan people.

Thanks!!

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlottaValdez View Post
    Yup, I'm only looking at Michigan. But it isn't a disaster if non-Michigan people fill it out; there is a question about residency, and so I can easily remove the non-Michigan people.

Thanks!!
    That is, if they answer that question
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Most likely, she is attempting quasi-qualitative research... a focus on the group rather than recursive abstraction. Her qualitative research would therefore be used to gather an in-depth understanding of firearm owners/OCers as a group and the reasons that govern their behavior. The focus being on "the why" and "how" of OC, not just what, where, when. Therefore, smaller, focused samples are used.
    Thank you, DrTodd! Yes, the sample is 'biased', and that's in part the point. Since there isn't a magical list of every gun-rights activist in Michigan, I have to look at members of different organizations and participants in different forums. While I won't be able to say "X% of Michigan gun-rights activists believe Y," I will be able to say that "Of the XX OCDO participants that filled out the survey, Y% responded Z." Less general, but still meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
    I took the survey. I know I'm being a bit nit-picky here, but you should fix some the grammatical/spelling errors in the introduction to the survey. It doesn't look very good on your behalf.
    Oops...thank you

Done.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Filled out and sent.

There were a couple on there that I didn't feel were relevant, and I didn't fill out, which knowing this forum will be a reoccurring sentiment. But I encourage everyone who hasn't already met Jennifer from an interview or an event to note that she is trying her best to do an honest take on gun rights activism. It isn't an effort to dig up personal information, or an effort to make us look stupid. Just an unprecedented effort to show the academic world the truth about gun rights.
    I gotta admit I had second thoughts about taking a gun survey from someone associated with UC Berkley, they are known as the most liberal campus in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I gotta admit I had second thoughts about taking a gun survey from someone associated with UC Berkley, they are known as the most liberal campus in the country.
    This is true, but remember that liberal and anti gun should not be thought of as the same thing. Many people, including me are somewhat liberal. I fall between the left and libertarian, but pretty much keep to gun rights activism since I am best with that.

Also remember that Berkeley in the 60's and 70's set a standard for activism, including armed activism, which few other than the likes of us have meaningfully met. The police managed to beat that community into submission both figuratively and literally, and it has since then become much more sissified.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast