• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Questions

wolfetundra

I actively OC, but due to the abundant schools, I am considering aquiring a CCW. I have a few questions;

Is the CCW wpn specific? Or are all firearms covered?
Can you OC while having a CCW?

Anything else I should know about or be aware of? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I've searched around, but suprisingly, there's not alot of information available.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I actively OC, but due to the abundant schools, I am considering aquiring a CCW. I have a few questions;

Is the CCW wpn specific? Or are all firearms covered?
Can you OC while having a CCW?

Anything else I should know about or be aware of? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I've searched around, but suprisingly, there's not alot of information available.

The license to carry concealed may have three weapons on it. This limitation is imposed by the Shasta County Sheriff and is not supported by PC12050.

While there are no statutory prohibitions to open carry while in possession of a license to conceal, the Sheriff is not supportive of the practice and has revoked licenses for this very reason.

wolfetundra

Nice link there Chewy.

Thanks ConditionThree. I knew about the revoke of permit for OCing. What I was wondering is if I list X gun on my permit, can I OC with XXX gun? Also, it says that I need to be "trained" with the weapon listed in the CCW. What specific trainign are they wanting?

Coded-Dude

PC section 12050(a)(1)(B) and (E) specifies that new license applicants must complete a course of training. The training may consist of any course acceptable to the licensing authority. The licensing authority may require either a course not to exceed 16 hours which includes instruction on at least firearms safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm or a community college course not to exceed 24 hours certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training. If the licensing authority requires the community college course, it must be uniformly required for all CCW license applicants. The licensing authority may also require annual qualification on the weapon(s) during the term for which the CCW license is granted.

http://www.co.shasta.ca.us/html/Sheriff/sh_forms.htm

I think its a bit absurd that the sheriff would reject a CCW for OCing. I am hoping to do both once i get my CCW.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
http://www.co.shasta.ca.us/html/Sheriff/sh_forms.htm

I think its a bit absurd that the sheriff would reject a CCW for OCing. I am hoping to do both once i get my CCW.

Ask me how absurd I think it is.

Thanks ConditionThree. I knew about the revoke of permit for OCing. What I was wondering is if I list X gun on my permit, can I OC with XXX gun? Also, it says that I need to be "trained" with the weapon listed in the CCW. What specific trainign are they wanting?

I doubt the Sheriff will make a distinction between carrying a weapon listed on the license or one that is not listed on the license. He will use his discretion to discourage your lawful carry choices.

Conact Joel Northrup at the Firearms Academy of Redding. (http://firearmsacademy.tripod.com/) He will provide the necessary training to satisfy the Sheriff's requirements.

Last edited:

wolfetundra

Conact Joel Northrup at the Firearms Academy of Redding. (http://firearmsacademy.tripod.com/) He will provide the necessary training to satisfy the Sheriff's requirements.

I'm currently receiving P.O.S.T. certified handgun training at the Record Range. Will that satisfy the requirements?

As long as I don't disclose (unless asked) I have a CCW if stopped, there shouldn't be a concern about losing my CCW right? They wouldn't otherwise know I have one. Especially if I don't identify myself.

Last edited:

chewy352

I'm currently receiving P.O.S.T. certified handgun training at the Record Range. Will that satisfy the requirements?

As long as I don't disclose (unless asked) I have a CCW if stopped, there shouldn't be a concern about losing my CCW right? They wouldn't otherwise know I have one. Especially if I don't identify myself.

How far are you willing to take that statement? I wish I had the time and money to take it all the way. Some LEOs will cuff you and take you for a ride and try to find something to charge you with. Then it is up to you and your wallet to sort out.

I explain to them that there is no law that says I have to ID myself and that they are violating the 4A. If they wish to continue then I state that I am IDing under duress and color of law and then I tell them my info. All of this gets recorded of course. So if it made it to court they can not claim they did not know they were violating my rights.

wolfetundra

I'm not saying I'm going to pick a fight with an officer. If I'm asked for my ID, I say "I don't have it with me." (As I'm not legally required to carry it - less I'm driving). If he asks for my name, fine. I'll give it. There's plenty of people in the world (and in Redding area) with my name. My address? "Am I legally obligated to provide you with that information?" "Yes." "Can you please tell me what compells me to provide you with that information?"

All I'm saying is, if they don't know I have a CCW, can they really do anything?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

If you are recieving POST handgun training can it be assumed that you are seeking employment as a law enforcement officer? If so, I would urge you to exercize particular caution in your choice to carry exposed. You might also PM Cato about the possible ramifications on your career choice.

If the police ask you to surrender your license to carry concealed, you will need to provide it. Under the current Sheriffs administration, your license to conceal would be in jeopardy if you carried in a manner which the Sheriff did not approve. I wont discourage you from applying, but this is something you will have put some forethought into, before you make any sacrifices-- either licensed conceal carry or employment opportunity.

wolfetundra

The POST classes (Modular) are for multiple avenues. I was a rent-a-cop for about 5 yrs and I miss it [sad I know, but it's what I'm good at]. The POST classes will give me a leg up in any security field. Law Enforcement is an idea I've been running over. I'm not sure if it's a choice I want/ready to make.

"... carried in a manner which the Sheriff did not approve ..." dumb question, I don't suppose he's outlined this lol.

I understand the point(s) you are making. I am considering CCW simply so I am not restricted by OC. On the same token, I like the detorant of OC'ing. Suprisingly though, I have noticed many people don't even notice my sidearm! Those that do, only about 20% of them appear to be offended/concerned by me being armed. Most who do notice, say nothing and simply go about their day - most likely assuming I'm LEO or I have the "Right" to carry. Still, a majority of people don't even notice. Though, with my new holster, it is a bit more obvious. And I upgraded to the Ruger with the "bright, shinny, here I am" slide lol.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
"... carried in a manner which the Sheriff did not approve ..." dumb question, I don't suppose he's outlined this lol.

I understand the point(s) you are making. I am considering CCW simply so I am not restricted by OC. On the same token, I like the detorant of OC'ing. Suprisingly though, I have noticed many people don't even notice my sidearm! Those that do, only about 20% of them appear to be offended/concerned by me being armed. Most who do notice, say nothing and simply go about their day - most likely assuming I'm LEO or I have the "Right" to carry. Still, a majority of people don't even notice. Though, with my new holster, it is a bit more obvious. And I upgraded to the Ruger with the "bright, shinny, here I am" slide lol.

I'm certain that he believes he has, in spite of the fact that one method of carry has nothing to do with the other.

You have observed as I have- most people arent observant or dont care. I wonder if two exposed firearms in one location would have any more impact than one. Perhaps you should join Kittyhawk63 and I next time we get together and see.

wolfetundra

I'm interested to see if that would draw any more attention. I was never 86'd from the mall, nor have they to release any Policy that states otherwise. Then again, "Don't rock the boat." On the same hand, I'd love to see how the rent-a-cop would handle 3 people OC'ing in "his" mall.

As far as people not noticing, I'm not sure if they truely are oblivious, or if they really don't care. Makes me want to do a survey. Hmm, tempting ... "Excuse me Sir. Did you notice I am armed?" (Turning strong side) If they did notice; "What is your belief/feeling/thought of people open carrying a firearm?" [insert a few more questions here]
I'd like to see how that would turn out.

Though, I think it would be a good idea to meet somewhere (Starbucks advertises OC Support - so does the Wienersnitzel on Market St) to introduce ourselves and talk a bit.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I'm interested to see if that would draw any more attention. I was never 86'd from the mall, nor have they to release any Policy that states otherwise. Then again, "Don't rock the boat." On the same hand, I'd love to see how the rent-a-cop would handle 3 people OC'ing in "his" mall.

As far as people not noticing, I'm not sure if they truely are oblivious, or if they really don't care. Makes me want to do a survey. Hmm, tempting ... "Excuse me Sir. Did you notice I am armed?" (Turning strong side) If they did notice; "What is your belief/feeling/thought of people open carrying a firearm?" [insert a few more questions here]
I'd like to see how that would turn out.

Though, I think it would be a good idea to meet somewhere (Starbucks advertises OC Support - so does the Wienersnitzel on Market St) to introduce ourselves and talk a bit.

I wouldnt. Conducting a survey about open carry while open carrying will no doubt influence the results. I also dont see any benefit inviting criticism.

And I believe Starbucks is ambivelent to the issue. They neither support nor oppose lawful carry- just as every good business should conduct themselves- leaving divisive politics out of commercial enterprise.

wolfetundra

Good point. I could see how actively OC'ing while conducting a survey could taint the results. Similar to a poll about abortion outside an abortion clinic. Though, I think I'd like to have someone follow OCers (descretely so not to draw attention) to see how many people "appear" to notice or not notice. Secondly, poll to see what people think. Of course, without interjecting rights/laws. That part would be hard. It's hard to be objective about something you're passionate about.

I recall reading/hearing somewhere that Starbucks doesn't object to OCers as long as they carry on their business. One case I remember was someone complaining about a "guy with a gun" and the person behind the counter basically said "so". I laughed because the female complaining asked to have him leave and the employee said something like "why don't you tell him to leave?" I almost fell over laughing. But again, I see your point.