• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CGF LAWSUIT : Internet ammo sales are not actually banned by AB 962!

coolusername2007

Nice catch for the CGF guys. But internet transactions will still be effectively banned if the online retailer doesn't want to ship to the PRK simply because its too much hassle and they don't want to risk a lawsuit.

heliopolissolutions

I consider this somewhat similar to the dick-wavery that took place over online retailers selling handgun ammunition over the internet to potentially under 21 year olds. The law is as it is, but some retailers were unwilling to sell for fear of legal liability, now not so much, most of the times no signature required or photo ID on sale.

Here retailers will fear violating a law, but they will learn that there isn't a damn thing to be scared of.

Ca Patriot

Personally I dont think that carriers are going to allow the ammo shipments because the risk is too high.

FedEx and UPS do billions of dollars of business, there is no need for them to get bad press and risk fines or jail over a stupid driver not checking ID.

I still think this law will have the effect of banning online ammo sales.

cato

The state law is preempted specifically by fed law and will still fall to a federal judges ax as states can't impose conditions on interstate common carriers. Id is required to receive alcohol because federal law requires it. States can't do that.

But if it takes time to shut this down I believe CGF has enough contacts in the free states to get a retailer to ship. If one does the others will want to also. $$$$

K

kittyhawk63

The state law is preempted specifically by fed law and will still fall to a federal judges ax as states can't impose conditions on interstate common carriers. Id is required to receive alcohol because federal law requires it. States can't do that.

But if it takes time to shut this down I believe CGF has enough contacts in the free states to get a retailer to ship. If one does the others will want to also. $$$$

Cato, or anyone else,
I have never ordered ammo over the Internet. Why would you do it? Are there advantages in pricing or is it because you can avoid IDing yourself?

Please advise,
kh63

Gundude

Cato, or anyone else,
I have never ordered ammo over the Internet. Why would you do it? Are there advantages in pricing or is it because you can avoid IDing yourself?

Please advise,
kh63

From someone else.
I never did either.
I think you have to send a copy of a pic ID to show proof of age.

leoffensive

my credit/debit card.

i havent bought anything in about a month but its where i go when i buy in bulk. the brands they carry change from time to time. so sometimes they dont always have the same thing.

K

kittyhawk63

my credit/debit card.

i havent bought anything in about a month but its where i go when i buy in bulk. the brands they carry change from time to time. so sometimes they dont always have the same thing.

Good game. You don't keep changing the rules.

Now, where is it that you buy?

P.S. New playing level...this is my 100th post.

Last edited:

sultan62

I've bought in bulk online due to price, and I bought my carry ammo online because I couldn't find it anywhere local after having looked at ballistics tests online to figure out what I wanted.

AyatollahGondola

I don't know if this will affect the ammo restrictions or no, but thought I'd pass this along:
From the SBOE agenda this week:

2011 Legislative Proposals: Business Taxes - Sales and Use Taxes
3-1 Amend Revenue and Taxation Code Section 6203 of the Sales and Use Tax Law to expand the definition of “retailer engaged in business in this state” for purposes of enforcing California’s Use Tax Law to the fullest extent.

K

kittyhawk63

Thanks Cato,
I actually found that site when I went looking. It was at the top of the search list with five stars.

Do any of you forum members load your own? I know...silly question.

What make of reloader to you recommend? I would like one that is not expensive.
I have a .25 caliber Beretta semi-auto, .357 magnum Colt King Cobra. I want to buy a 9mm semi-auto.

Can one reloader do all three bullets sizes?

Last question: Does it look like we may not be able to purchase the materials to make a ready-to-fire cartridge any time in the foreseeable future?

Last edited:

Rich Keagy

Thanks Cato,
Do any of you forum members load your own? I know...silly question.
I have a .25 caliber Beretta semi-auto, .357 magnum Colt King Cobra. I want to buy a 9mm semi-auto.
Can one reloader do all three bullets sizes?

I reload my own ammo (.45 ACP, shotgun)
One reload will reload many calibers. HOWEVER, you must purchase / obtain new 'dies' for each caliber. A new reloader will not come with any dies. (the company that sells the reloader most likely can provide dies too.)
I use RCBS, but plan to upgrade to Hornady ASAP.
Call me if you need help.

Ca Patriot

No taxes and no shipping cost. http://ammoman.com/

California law says that YOU, the buyer, are responsible for paying sales tax on anything in California. Even if the company doesnt charge you sales tax the state still can, and will.

I just got a bill for $1,100 from some items I purchased in CHINA !!!!

AyatollahGondola

California law says that YOU, the buyer, are responsible for paying sales tax on anything in California. Even if the company doesnt charge you sales tax the state still can, and will.

I just got a bill for $1,100 from some items I purchased in CHINA !!!!

Yes sir; That's why they cal it the "Sales and USE tax".

It's more difficult for them to collect the USE tax, so now they want to redefine who is a seller here. My guess is, that once someone is determined to be a seller for taxation purposes, courts will slip right in to making them beholden to whatever other laws pertain to that industry for their products sold here. But...if one removes the tax incentive for purchasing out of state, I doubt the pricing will be attractive enough for in-state buyers to warrant mail orders.
The noose tightens