Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Anyone suggested...

  1. #1
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808

    Anyone suggested...

    With our new governor, and the new super majority senate, and majority house, would now be the time for MOC, MCRGO, & MGO to come up with a list of laws that all organizations can agree on that need to be changed? For example, getting rid of the purchase permit, allowing non-residents to possess handguns in the state (w/o a Cpl), etc. Perhaps MOC could contact the NRA, and GOA for their support to put pressure on our elected officials.

    I think that if all the gun rights groups of Michigan had a united voice in demanding that the laws that all organizations find unacceptable be repealed we'd have a good shot at getting them repealed. If the NRA and GOA put pressure on the legislators as well, that would be a bonus.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Getting rid of the LTP, (purchase permit) will open a can of worms with the 100' fed school zone law.

    I wouldn't count on the NRA for anything, but I am 100% in favor of your idea in making a united effort in changing some laws.

    Add to the list, removing any prohibitions on guns that have nothing to do with guns. ie. driving violations and some of the other 3 and 8 year prohibitions, and minor non violent felonies.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Getting rid of the LTP, (purchase permit) will open a can of worms with the 100' fed school zone law.
    I'd be willing to have to deal with the school zone law in order to get rid of the LTP, but that's me...

  4. #4
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    I'd be willing to have to deal with the school zone law in order to get rid of the LTP, but that's me...
    The main issue is that persons without a CPL would have issues with this, which is especially bad in urban areas.

  5. #5
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    With our new governor, and the new super majority senate, and majority house, would now be the time for MOC, MCRGO, & MGO to come up with a list of laws that all organizations can agree on that need to be changed? For example, getting rid of the purchase permit, allowing non-residents to possess handguns in the state (w/o a Cpl), etc. Perhaps MOC could contact the NRA, and GOA for their support to put pressure on our elected officials.

    I think that if all the gun rights groups of Michigan had a united voice in demanding that the laws that all organizations find unacceptable be repealed we'd have a good shot at getting them repealed. If the NRA and GOA put pressure on the legislators as well, that would be a bonus.
    I think it is a great idea. Just need someone or some organization to get the "ball rolling" and create a list of laws needing to be changed and the language changes of such.

    ETA: The following thread on MGO has a few of these "suggestions":

    http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=111003
    Last edited by PDinDetroit; 11-05-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Add MGO Information

  6. #6
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    I rather doubt we can create the sort of change Arizona experienced when nappy finally left to go to the Obama administration. Having a lot of republicans in office doesn't typically mean pro gun measures, just a lack of anti gun measures. But I guess it's a good idea to try.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    The main issue is that persons without a CPL would have issues with this, which is especially bad in urban areas.
    It would be very easy. It would only require a provision in the law that states all 18+ year olds with no criminal convictions or mental issues are "licensed for the purpose of federal law to carry any distance from, but not on school grounds". If you can get away with eliminating registration, at least this should also be doable. We have numerous contacts with Michigan law makers. I doubt it would be too much to ask for them to add this type of provision if they are going to further try to eliminate registration.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  8. #8
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    My State Senator Randy Richardville will probably be the next leader of the state senate, I have already sent him an email asking him to introduce pro-gun legislation now that it may pass. Last year he introduced the campus carry bill but Andy Dillion would not let the bill make it to the house floor.

    Also, who knows what Snyder would sign, he hasn't exactly been out trumpeting gun rights during his campaign.
    Last edited by detroit_fan; 11-05-2010 at 04:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,251

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    It would be very easy. It would only require a provision in the law that states all 18+ year olds with no criminal convictions or mental issues are "licensed for the purpose of federal law to carry any distance from, but not on school grounds". If you can get away with eliminating registration, at least this should also be doable. We have numerous contacts with Michigan law makers. I doubt it would be too much to ask for them to add this type of provision if they are going to further try to eliminate registration.
    Just provide a lifetime License purchased at 18 years of age for 10 bucks and do the same as Arizona.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

  10. #10
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    My State Senator Randy Richardville will probably be the next leader of the state senate, I have already sent him an email asking him to introduce pro-gun legislation now that it may pass. Last year he introduced the campus carry bill but Andy Dillion would not let the bill make it to the house floor.

    Also, who knows what Snyder would sign, he hasn't exactly been out trumpeting gun rights during his campaign.
    I PMed him on Facebook for the same thing as a fellow MCRGO member!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902

    Something other than firearms.

    How about repealing all the draconian laws on knife possession (and other defensive arms) and having complete preemption for all weapons.

    Registration repeal.

    Non residents being able to carry on any out of state license, and when they move to the state, they can still carry for 180 days on the out of state license.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    How about repealing all the draconian laws on knife possession (and other defensive arms) and having complete preemption for all weapons.

    Registration repeal.

    Non residents being able to carry on any out of state license, and when they move to the state, they can still carry for 180 days on the out of state license.
    I would love to see preemption cover other weapons. Its funny, I have carried a knife most of my life, now that I started carrying a gun, I find out I'm not safe from the .gov to carry the knife. Its still ok for a non smoker to carry a lighter, right?

  13. #13
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    How about repealing all the draconian laws on knife possession (and other defensive arms) and having complete preemption for all weapons.

    Registration repeal.

    Non residents being able to carry on any out of state license, and when they move to the state, they can still carry for 180 days on the out of state license.
    Non residents should be able to carry without any state license, as long as they follow the OC rules of MI. I have relatives in another state that don't see the need for a CPL/CCW because OC is legal, OC & CC is legal in a vehicle, and OC & CC is legal while hunting, all with no permit required.
    Rand Paul 2016

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •