• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone suggested...

Yooper

With our new governor, and the new super majority senate, and majority house, would now be the time for MOC, MCRGO, & MGO to come up with a list of laws that all organizations can agree on that need to be changed? For example, getting rid of the purchase permit, allowing non-residents to possess handguns in the state (w/o a Cpl), etc. Perhaps MOC could contact the NRA, and GOA for their support to put pressure on our elected officials.

I think that if all the gun rights groups of Michigan had a united voice in demanding that the laws that all organizations find unacceptable be repealed we'd have a good shot at getting them repealed. If the NRA and GOA put pressure on the legislators as well, that would be a bonus.

stainless1911

Banned
Getting rid of the LTP, (purchase permit) will open a can of worms with the 100' fed school zone law.

I wouldn't count on the NRA for anything, but I am 100% in favor of your idea in making a united effort in changing some laws.

Add to the list, removing any prohibitions on guns that have nothing to do with guns. ie. driving violations and some of the other 3 and 8 year prohibitions, and minor non violent felonies.

PDinDetroit

With our new governor, and the new super majority senate, and majority house, would now be the time for MOC, MCRGO, & MGO to come up with a list of laws that all organizations can agree on that need to be changed? For example, getting rid of the purchase permit, allowing non-residents to possess handguns in the state (w/o a Cpl), etc. Perhaps MOC could contact the NRA, and GOA for their support to put pressure on our elected officials.

I think that if all the gun rights groups of Michigan had a united voice in demanding that the laws that all organizations find unacceptable be repealed we'd have a good shot at getting them repealed. If the NRA and GOA put pressure on the legislators as well, that would be a bonus.

I think it is a great idea. Just need someone or some organization to get the "ball rolling" and create a list of laws needing to be changed and the language changes of such.

ETA: The following thread on MGO has a few of these "suggestions":

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111003

Last edited:

Michigander

I rather doubt we can create the sort of change Arizona experienced when nappy finally left to go to the Obama administration. Having a lot of republicans in office doesn't typically mean pro gun measures, just a lack of anti gun measures. But I guess it's a good idea to try.

Michigander

The main issue is that persons without a CPL would have issues with this, which is especially bad in urban areas.

It would be very easy. It would only require a provision in the law that states all 18+ year olds with no criminal convictions or mental issues are "licensed for the purpose of federal law to carry any distance from, but not on school grounds". If you can get away with eliminating registration, at least this should also be doable. We have numerous contacts with Michigan law makers. I doubt it would be too much to ask for them to add this type of provision if they are going to further try to eliminate registration.

detroit_fan

My State Senator Randy Richardville will probably be the next leader of the state senate, I have already sent him an email asking him to introduce pro-gun legislation now that it may pass. Last year he introduced the campus carry bill but Andy Dillion would not let the bill make it to the house floor.

Also, who knows what Snyder would sign, he hasn't exactly been out trumpeting gun rights during his campaign.

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

It would be very easy. It would only require a provision in the law that states all 18+ year olds with no criminal convictions or mental issues are "licensed for the purpose of federal law to carry any distance from, but not on school grounds". If you can get away with eliminating registration, at least this should also be doable. We have numerous contacts with Michigan law makers. I doubt it would be too much to ask for them to add this type of provision if they are going to further try to eliminate registration.
Just provide a lifetime License purchased at 18 years of age for 10 bucks and do the same as Arizona.

Haman J.T.

My State Senator Randy Richardville will probably be the next leader of the state senate, I have already sent him an email asking him to introduce pro-gun legislation now that it may pass. Last year he introduced the campus carry bill but Andy Dillion would not let the bill make it to the house floor.

Also, who knows what Snyder would sign, he hasn't exactly been out trumpeting gun rights during his campaign.
I PMed him on Facebook for the same thing as a fellow MCRGO member!

Jared

Something other than firearms.

How about repealing all the draconian laws on knife possession (and other defensive arms) and having complete preemption for all weapons.

Registration repeal.

Non residents being able to carry on any out of state license, and when they move to the state, they can still carry for 180 days on the out of state license.

stainless1911

Banned
How about repealing all the draconian laws on knife possession (and other defensive arms) and having complete preemption for all weapons.

Registration repeal.

Non residents being able to carry on any out of state license, and when they move to the state, they can still carry for 180 days on the out of state license.

I would love to see preemption cover other weapons. Its funny, I have carried a knife most of my life, now that I started carrying a gun, I find out I'm not safe from the .gov to carry the knife. :rolleyes: Its still ok for a non smoker to carry a lighter, right?

Yooper

Registration repeal.

Non residents should be able to carry without any state license, as long as they follow the OC rules of MI. I have relatives in another state that don't see the need for a CPL/CCW because OC is legal, OC & CC is legal in a vehicle, and OC & CC is legal while hunting, all with no permit required.