• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need examples of state laws which violate state constitution

ep0k

Working on a project. Could use examples of state laws which could be construed to violate article 1, section 16, Maine State Constitution.

Not focusing on local municipal statutes at this time.

Suggestions? Examples? Fire away!

Maine CWP Training

Alaska Statute 18.65.748 states that a person holding a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun from another state or a political subdivision of another state is a permittee under AS 18.65.700 (b) for purposes of AS 18.65.750 - 18.65.765.

I suppose individuals coming to Maine would work. Maine citizens going to other states would be the losers under that scenario.

Many states already think Maine's firearm competency requirements are too lax however 6 states have entered into reciprocity agreements after reviewing our firearm competency requirements.

Alaska also requires an approved handgun course for its citizens within 12 months preceding permit application. Maine allows course within 5 years preceding permit application

Last edited:

ep0k

I suppose individuals coming to Maine would work. Maine citizens going to other states would be the losers under that scenario.

Many states already think Maine's firearm competency requirements are too lax however 6 states have entered into reciprocity agreements after reviewing our firearm competency requirements.

Alaska also requires an approved handgun course for its citizens within 12 months preceding permit application. Maine allows course within 5 years preceding permit application

This is just hypothetical, but... If Maine were to go the constitutional carry route but also still continue to issue permits for reciprocity purposes, I don't think there's any reason the permitting standards couldn't be raised to the Utah or Florida level, which would allow for more reciprocity agreements.

Ultimately this would provide the most options for Maine residents within and outside our borders. Those who want the permit would be valid in more states. Those who don't would still have their constitutional carry rights here in Maine.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Problem with doing that is reciprocity agreements with 6 states and the 15 states that do recognize Maine Concealed Firearm Permits go out the window.

Constitutional Carry is the point... it's what we have been fighting for all along. It is the holy grail of firearm rights. We simply need to go state by state until we have the entire country. Perhaps this is sugar coating everything, yet I have no purpose except the love of my rights and this country to push for such a thing. I have no ulterior motive except to further our rights and begin to take this country back TO THE PEOPLE.

boyscout399

Title 12 Sec 11212 Part B should be repealed

Title 15 Sec 292 should be repealed

Title 25 Sec 2001-A Part 1B should be repealed

Title 12 Sec 756 should be repealed

Title 17-A Sec 1051 should be repealed

Title 17-A Sec 1055 should be repealed

Title 17-A Sec 1056 should be repealed

Title 17-A Sec 1057 should be repealed

Title 17-A Sec 1058 should be repealed

As far as Title 25 Sec 2003 is concerned, I would keep that in place... The removal of Title 25 Sec 2001-A Part 1B would make the permit unnecessary in Maine, but leaving the permit process in place would allow for reciprocity.

I would also like to see Title 25 Sec 2001-A include another exception that allows for threatening display when reasonably necessary for self defense.

boyscout399

Obviously it should be abolished, on a national level. We are being taxed for a right granted to us by the Constitution of the United States of America...

Shane, lol, repealing the permitting law wouldn't decriminalize carrying. It's the Title 25 Sec 2001-A that makes carrying a crime. That's the law that needs to be repealed. That would make the Maine Permit not necessary in order to carry. Having the permit system in place doesn't infringe on rights if the permit is optional. You can carry with, or without the permit. That's what Arizona and Alaska have in place...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Going to be a good year.

Keep rockin' the boat and smoothing the waters - yep you can do both.

You guys have really gotten your act together and in short order too, I might add.

boyscout399

I found another law that needs repealing... Title 12 Sec 12707. Parts 4 and 5 should be repealed. They make it illegal to carry a firearm on the roads bounding certain Wildlife sanctuaries. I have no problem banning hunting in such a sanctuary, but carrying firearms for defensive purposes should be allowed.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Shane, lol, repealing the permitting law wouldn't decriminalize carrying. It's the Title 25 Sec 2001-A that makes carrying a crime. That's the law that needs to be repealed. That would make the Maine Permit not necessary in order to carry. Having the permit system in place doesn't infringe on rights if the permit is optional. You can carry with, or without the permit. That's what Arizona and Alaska have in place...
You know what I meant... Constitutional Carry stated it pretty clearly.