Thread: Oakland prepares for riots

Oakland prepares for riots

Oakland Police Chief Anthony Batts said today that he believes his department is well prepared for any unrest that might occur after former BART police Officer Johannes Mehserle is sentenced on Friday.

............--Moderator Edited--
    We must observe copyrights - READ THE RULES PLEASE.

(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

This article even clearly showed: Copyright 2010 / All Rights Reserved
    ABC News 10

I doubt it will get as bad as when he was convicted, but its still too early to tell.

[EDIT]

For those of you who aren't familiar with the back story. The BART cop alleges to have attempted to grab his taser when he actually grabbed his firearm, causing the death of an unarmed civilian(who was "resisting")
    Last edited by Coded-Dude; 11-05-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

kittyhawk63
    For you who are not familiar with transit systems in the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Area, BART mean Bay Area Rapid Transit. This is a commuter train system. Much more information can be found on the Internet.

There is mention of a "train" in the article above.
    Last edited by kittyhawk63; 11-05-2010 at 01:15 PM.

forgot about posting excerpts only....sorry about that.

Here is the video of the original incident.

The officer was convicted of Involuntary Manslaughter and faces as little as probation, and as much as 14 years.

good question.

In finding Johannes Mehserle guilty of involuntary manslaughter, the jury also concluded that the 28-year-old is guilty of a gun enhancement, immediately raising questions among legal scholars about whether the gun enhancement contradicted the jury's primary verdict of involuntary manslaughter.
    the judge has a tough call to make

The gun enhancement law was added to California's penal code in an effort to more severely punish criminals for using guns when they commit crimes. The law allows prosecutors to seek harsher punishments against defendants found guilty of using a gun while committing a felony.

By its definition, the gun enhancement states that a person should be found guilty of the crime if they "personally and intentionally discharged a firearm" while committing a felony.
    http://www.istockanalyst.com/article...icleid/4295346
    Last edited by Coded-Dude; 11-05-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Los Angles Superior Court Judge Robert Perry also gave Mehserle credit for 292 days already served, which would reduce his two-year sentence to just over a year and two months.

The judge tossed out the gun enhancement charge imposed by the jury, which would have carried up to 10 additional years in prison. Perry agreed with the defense that jurors were confused when they applied the gun enhancement charge.
    full story

the the repercussions begin........
    Last edited by Coded-Dude; 11-05-2010 at 04:51 PM.

start popping the popcorn people.....
    Protesters massing in Oakland as businesses close
    SFGate

manslaughter can be done with more than just a firearm. I guess a firearm makes the person more dead though or something...

The judge tossed out the gun enhancement charge imposed by the jury, which would have carried up to 10 additional years in prison. Perry agreed with the defense that jurors were confused when they applied the gun enhancement charge.
    Wait wait wait WAIT a freakin second here. A judge "threw out" part of a verdict by a jury? What the EFF?! What good is the judicial system when a freakin judge over-rules the verdict (or part of the verdict) of a jury?! I, for one, HOPE THERE ARE RIOTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Coded-Dude View Post
    full story

the the repercussions begin........
    Last edited by demnogis; 11-05-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

Correct me if I'm wrong. He got 2 yrs in the slammer.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong. He got 2 yrs in the slammer.
    He received 2 years less time served - minus 292 days.

The judge said, the law required him to overturn the jury's sentencing enhancement.
    http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/loca...oting-20101105
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Man, what was the name of the cops attorney. He must be great. I can't imagine how he sold that tazer defense because I can't wrap my head around how a trained LEO confuses a tazer for a glock/beretta whatever he was carrying. Especially seeing has he was not in any immediate danger and the victim was essentially already subdued. Either way, IMO, the people have a right to protest at this point.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

Quote Originally Posted by ChiangShih View Post
    Man, what was the name of the cops attorney. He must be great. I can't imagine how he sold that tazer defense because I can't wrap my head around how a trained LEO confuses a tazer for a glock/beretta whatever he was carrying. Especially seeing has he was not in any immediate danger and the victim was essentially already subdued. Either way, IMO, the people have a right to protest at this point.
    Peaceful protest, not rioting, damaging innocent's property and looting - that is mob mentality.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Peaceful protest, not rioting, damaging innocent's property and looting - that is mob mentality.
    No stranger to Oakland, riots. I photographed my second riot there, at AFEES in the late Sixties. Then the cops liked to use OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    No stranger to Oakland, riots. I photographed my second riot there, at AFEES in the late Sixties. Then the cops liked to use OC.
    Always knew you were a riot. OC is still good on a BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by demnogis View Post
    Wait wait wait WAIT a freakin second here. A judge "threw out" part of a verdict by a jury? What the EFF?! What good is the judicial system when a freakin judge over-rules the verdict (or part of the verdict) of a jury?! I, for one, HOPE THERE ARE RIOTS.
    I haven't followed the story closely, but its my understanding that the judge dropped the 'firearm enhancement' charge. As a result the juries verdict on that charge is moot.

Always knew you were a riot. OC is still good on a BBQ.
    did i just hear bbq?!?!?!?!

GUNDUDE.......WHERE ARE YOU WE SHOULD HAVE OUR PEACEFUL PROTEST BBQ hahah ill be sure to make the salsa hotter this time hahaha

Peaceful protest BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by leoffensive View Post
    did i just hear bbq?!?!?!?!

GUNDUDE.......WHERE ARE YOU WE SHOULD HAVE OUR PEACEFUL PROTEST BBQ hahah ill be sure to make the salsa hotter this time hahaha
    How does next weekend sound. That should give everyone enough notice. Give me a few "I'll show up's" and which day you like, and I'll reserve the rec room/area.

JP
    Last edited by Gundude; 11-06-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by demnogis View Post
    the judge can throw out an unjust guilty verdict, though that rarely happens except in circumstances like this. what the judge cannot do is throw out a 'not guilty' verdict and apply his own guilty.

Yep. And what makes no sense to me is that when they DO riot, they usually burn down their own neighbors' stuff. Not that I support rioting, mind you. I don't. But wouldn't it at least make a bit more sense if they actually focused the destruction on those they believe are actually responsible? (E.G. City Hall, Courthouse, Police Station etc...) But no, they burn and loot their own neighbors and businesses.