• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun permits tied to wealth and politics.Learn from Texas' experience.MySanAntonio.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo..._income_and_politics_not_crime_104225289.html
Tedesco said:
But in a pattern that's playing out in San Antonio and other major cities in Texas, residents in low-income neighborhoods aren't taking advantage of the concealed-carry law as often as residents living in wealthier, more conservative areas.
[ ... ]
The trend didn't necessarily come as a surprise to Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, who wrote the 1995 bill that created the concealed handgun license when he served in the state Senate. But he said socioeconomics weren't at the top of his priority list when he developed the measure.
The first priority of a pol is re-election.

The article is eight pages and with some great correlations (not causes) illustrated graphically. Permits correlated with 2008 Obama election, and with 2009 median zip code income

Last edited:

J.Gleason

Banned

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I got an out of state non-resident license since it was way cheaper, and at the time it was valid in more states. In any case, in TX you don't even need the license to carry in your vehicle anymore, and with the last election all but wiping out dhimnicraps I see potential for unlicensed OC eventually coming to fruition.

In any case, anyone can CC in TX w/o a license. Thugs and scumbags do it everyday even if they're felons, and the only way you could be charged with a crime is if you did something ignorant. Patterson might be aloof regarding the ability of poor people to get a license, but last I looked the average twit who knocked over a gas station in an armed robbery wasn't someone who needed the money to get a CHL.

Dreamer

Originally Posted by Tedesco, Grissom, Styles
The trend didn't necessarily come as a surprise to Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, who wrote the 1995 bill that created the concealed handgun license when he served in the state Senate. But he said socioeconomics weren't at the top of his priority list when he developed the measure.

Actually, I would beg to differ...

If you're starting from "zero" (no gun, no training, no political connections), the cost of getting a gun, training, and permit in TX can get close to $1000 even if you buy a cheap gun. You don't have to be Maynard Keynes to determine that the costs of getting a permit in TX automatically disqualify anyone who isn't upper-middle class...

I would venture to say that the TX legislators actually DID consider socioeconomics when they drafted this statute, and it was intentionally designed to keep poor people (mainly minorities) from getting permits.

After all, they don't want "the wrong kinds of people" carrying guns or being able to defend themselves in TX. (and we all know what that REALLY means...)

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Actually, I would beg to differ...

If you're starting from "zero" (no gun, no training, no political connections), the cost of getting a gun, training, and permit in TX can get close to $1000 even if you buy a cheap gun. You don't have to be Maynard Keynes to determine that the costs of getting a permit in TX automatically disqualify anyone who isn't upper-middle class...

I would venture to say that the TX legislators actually DID consider socioeconomics when they drafted this statute, and it was intentionally designed to keep poor people (mainly minorities) from getting permits.

After all, they don't want "the wrong kinds of people" carrying guns or being able to defend themselves in TX. (and we all know what that REALLY means...)

Geez dreamer, why don't you just come out and call Patterson a racist? Is the cost of registering and insuring a vehicle racist too? Or is that law just designed too keep poor people from having transportation too work? We all know the NWO doesn't want poor people to work right?

since9

Campaign Veteran
The cost of my background check and firearm registration (I hate the latter, but it's still mandatory here in CO) was $15.

What does it cost in TX?

The larger question is why is it so many times more expensive? It's gotta be one or more of the following things:

1. Socioeconomic stratification of gun owners (keep them out of the poor people's hands).

2. Racketeering (someone's making money off the excessively high fees - either the gov't administrations, the firearms training instructors, or both).

Oh, and my CHP was a total of about $150, but it'd have been $250 if I hadn't recently separated from the military.

Solution: Open Carry, no CC permit or training required.